Tuning "UP" on my 8-String, help!

Reaction score
As a singer/guitar player I'm particular about the keys Im playing in and I've grown fond of playing in drop-G on my seven string and i wanted to try drop G on my 8 string Omen (G,D,G, C, E, A, D, G. What gauges would work best for this tuning? Any input is appreciated.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Assuming that's a 26.5" scale, I dunno what you like, but I'd go

Standard 6 string 11-54 set, 72 on the low G, 9 or 8 on the high G

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
If you have a 27" you're in a very similar situation to me. I'm tuning my 26.5" schecter G C F C E G D G atm.

Seeing as how calculating string tensions excites me, have a gander at this. I've constructed the tensions using Circle K string tension data (I'd recommend you get them. You can choose out singles and make your own custom set for the same cost as buying a premade, dodgy tensioned set.) The tension slowly falls down as you get higher. If you like the strings to be nice and snappy, this should work well for you. I've made the E slightly tighter as a plain string that size sounds much better with the extra tension.

Note_Freq_____Gauge_____Tension (lb)
G____49_______0.079w____21.54
D____73.42____0.051w_____20.85
D____98_______0.037w_____20.02
C____130.81___0.025w_____19.77
E____164.81___0.021p______20.12
A____220______0.015p_____18.28
D____293.66___0.011p_____17.52
G____392______0.008p_____16.51

Circle K Singles

If you want them heavier or lighter, just go the next size up or down. The tensions should stay pretty much perfectly relative. Also may be worth looking at getting a 0.007 for the high G, not sure how it'll cope with that much tension and being that thin a string.

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
what gauges would you use if tuned a whole step lower on 26.5?

Well without recalculating, you'd probably get away with using the next gauge up. (I.e. 0.081 instead of a 0.079 and so forth). They might end up a bit lighter, say half pound tops or so, but they'll all maintain relative tension and the profile should stay the same.

summit101

Reaction score
Well without recalculating, you'd probably get away with using the next gauge up. (I.e. 0.081 instead of a 0.079 and so forth). They might end up a bit lighter, say half pound tops or so, but they'll all maintain relative tension and the profile should stay the same.

i actually like lighter playing strings. and what do you mean when you say profile. like the relief profile? thanks btw

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
i actually like lighter playing strings. and what do you mean when you say profile. like the relief profile? thanks btw

No probs! When I say profile, I'm referring to the tensions of the strings. Starts heavy at the low end and lightens up for the treble ones. It usually results in much more consistent tone between the strings. (Say, you have one string at 15lb and the one next to it at 23lb, there will be a huge difference in the tone of them)

summit101

Reaction score
No probs! When I say profile, I'm referring to the tensions of the strings. Starts heavy at the low end and lightens up for the treble ones. It usually results in much more consistent tone between the strings. (Say, you have one string at 15lb and the one next to it at 23lb, there will be a huge difference in the tone of them)

i see! so the correct profile would be important with 8 string chord shapes, so the highs don't drown out your low notes. this info is very handy!

Reaction score
I'm tuning my Ltd H-308 to ADGCFA#DG. The high G string breaks every now and then so I might go down a half step across the board.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
i see! so the correct profile would be important with 8 string chord shapes, so the highs don't drown out your low notes. this info is very handy!

Not a big concern, this sort of thing can be corrected by adjusting the pickup heights. Just get what's comfortable.

Reaction score
If i was doing the 79-8 for the drop G tuning how much of an adjustment should i make from the standard tuning set up or should everything be fine with the initial setup?

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
If i was doing the 79-8 for the drop G tuning how much of an adjustment should i make from the standard tuning set up or should everything be fine with the initial setup?

Whenever you do a string gauge change, the intonation at least really needs to be tweaked a bit. Neck relief should be fine though if the string tensions remain the same.

Reaction score
I wasnt sure exactly how to utilize the calculator lol what gauges do you think i would be looking for for thwarting F# drop tuning (F#,C#,F#,B,Eb,Ab,C#,F#)?

Latest posts