Type O Negative

• Thread starter sleewell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

akinari

Reaction score
Drum machines can stomp ass in a heavy music setting. Godflesh!

Somewhere on an old hard drive I have some pics of Pete's pedal set-up. The distortion was a Boss DS1. I'll try and find the pics when I get home later.

Yep, DS1 into a CH1. Various Peavey heads into 3620 cabs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
I love Type O and struggle with depression and anxiety as well. Sometimes some of their songs cut a little too close to home, and i have to be careful when i listen to them. Other times they're a great release. It sucks and feels weird struggling to listen to one of your favourite bands at times.

My favourite performance of theirs... the slow part of Too Late: Frozen is amazing (song at 9:30, timestamps don't seem to be working).

Demiurge

Reaction score
Another confirmation on the DS1. I remember getting a headache squinting at a fuzzy picture of the pedal to figure-out the settings. :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
Should I take the October Rust dive? Does the drum machine work for the music, not against it?

I didn't know it had programmed drums, so obviously it never bothered me. It fits perfectly with the rest of the sound. It's artificial and BIG. If that's what you're specifically trying to hear and be annoyed by, then you might succeed in annoying yourself.

My Girlfriend's Girlfriend is the silliest song on there, don't judge the rest of the album by it!! It's definitely their most mature-sounding.

WCD has some absolute classics on it but is not as consistent. I never really got into any of their other stuff that much. Bloody Kisses has a few good songs, SD&H/OotF have their amusement value (Unsuccessfully Coping and Kill You Tonight are very amusing despite being wayyyyyy too long), never liked anything on Life is Killing Me and never heard the last album.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I'm listening to Life is Killing Me right now- I wouldn't put it at the top, but there're some cool songs on it. Nettie and Anesthesia I'd argue are 'essential' while Electrocute and I Don't Wanna Be Me are close.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I missed a show back in 98 or 99 at Mason Jar of all places in PHX. Still bummed. I throw '96 - '07 era on full rotation several times a year because I need it, man.

Holy shit! The Mason Jar! I saw them on that Ozzfest in 97. They really kicked ass. Sound was incredible.
- Crazy how you could see these bands play an Ozzfest venue with thousands and thousands of people then they come back to the Mason Jar that holds a max of what a 150 people? What a great shit hole that place was. See your favortie bands up close. Seriously, that place had everyone play there from Nirvana to Tool, Megadeth and ton's more killer bands. Then it became a gay bar for awhile and I think now it's back to what it use to be but cleaner, legit, and called the Rebel lounge. It was so gross. Always puke and shit and piss all over the ground by the bathrooms and shady people everywhere. 21 and over? What's that! I started going there when I was like 16.
- Image your favorite bands playing here but a thousand times more filthy. It's funny the layout hasn't changed one bit and the stage still has a 6 ft ceiling! Thanks for rejuvinating my memorys @The906

1.jpg

akinari

Reaction score
Another confirmation on the DS1. I remember getting a headache squinting at a fuzzy picture of the pedal to figure-out the settings. :lol:

Tone at 10 o'clock, volume and dist maxed. On the CH1, everything was maxed except rate which was normally right between 1 and 2 o'clock.

zappatton2

Reaction score
My first Type O memory is getting a mix tape from a friend's brother that had "Unsuccessfully Coping" on it (as well as my first exposure to Bad Religion, White Zombie and a bunch of awesome stuff when I was still focused on bands like Warrant and GnR). Aside from that tape dramatically expanding my musical interests, that song always intrigued me with the shifts in tempo and tone, and always made me laugh with the ridiculous lyrics ("I knoooow", "he said he knooows"). Before that, I don't think it occurred to me that rock bands didn't have to take themselves so seriously.

TheKindred

TimeTravel Innovator
Reaction score
If you're super new to Type O you owe it to yourself to look up some of the live cover songs they did too.

I can't remember them all because they did it pretty frequently but hearing Pete sing Britney Spears "hit me baby one more time" is really something.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
If you're super new to Type O you owe it to yourself to look up some of the live cover songs they did too.

I can't remember them all because they did it pretty frequently but hearing Pete sing Britney Spears "hit me baby one more time" is really something.

As well as the official recorded ones. Day tripper medley, santana medley, paranoid... They're all great. They were masters of making covers with their own type o -twist.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Grabbed October Rust yesterday, I've only spun it 1.5x but I already like it better than Bloody Kisses. I should have gotten this one in the first place :lol: thanks for recommending it guys!

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
October Rust easily one of my favourite albums of all time, I have listened to it hundreds of times, possible even hitting 4 digit spins. It's just so damn good.

It's probably my most listened to album of all time.

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
Pete’s pedals around 2008 I think for the Carnivore shows that year but it’s the same as he ever used

Attachments

• 59ED12CA-9724-4AA5-8F1F-208E7110CC0F.jpeg
    59ED12CA-9724-4AA5-8F1F-208E7110CC0F.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 65DA9D48-E36A-4D8A-AC39-2CA8BBCAE98F.jpeg
    65DA9D48-E36A-4D8A-AC39-2CA8BBCAE98F.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 20

Couch Metal

Reaction score
I saw Type O live on the October Rust tour. It was amazing. During the Red Water part of the set, somehow they made it lightly snow inside the venue during the song.
I remember thinking October Rust was special when it was released. I still feel that way today.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Pete’s pedals around 2008 I think for the Carnivore shows that year but it’s the same as he ever used

The hot glue around the knobs on the "Distort" is amusing. It may be a common thing, but i've never seen it before. I've seen pantied/taped lines, and those rubber things on Digitech Hardwire pedals, but not glue, specifically.

Last edited:

Ola Englund

Reaction score
That's what the best music does. :) I love October Rust but I really need to spend some more quality time with their other albums.

What's your favorite Moonspell record? I've been meaning to check them out for a long time.
Irreligious is my favorite of them. Incredible album

wankerness

Reaction score
I listened to Irreligious after hearing it was the closest thing to Type O. I remember bursting out laughing when the vocals came in. Terrible album.

wolfheart is ok. But, it still sounds like someone doing a goofy Steele impression with a thick accent whenever he isn’t grunting.

AH-PEE-OOM!!!

Latest posts