Ultimate metal Guitar Cab Mic Shootout

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
Howdy all.

If you've seen the speaker comparisons i've been doing, you'll have a good idea what this video's about - i'm comparing mics on a guitar cab for metal. :hbang:

It's a Blackstar 1046L6 on a Zilla Fatbaby, with an 8 ohm Vintage 30.

All the mics are 1cm away (~1/2 inch) at the cap edge, apart from where shockmounts got in the way making the mic a little further back.

The mics are time-coded in the description if you want to jump back and forth.

They are, in order: SM57, SM57 Tapeop Mod, Audix i5, Shure SM7B, Shure SM58, Sennheiser MD421N, sE Electronics VR1, R1, sE5, sE1a and Gemini II, The Blue Ball, AKG D112 Sennheiser e825 and MKH416.

Stay tuned over the next couple of days as another video is coming using 2 mics - an SM57 combined with each of the other mics (as I appreciate most of you including myself usually use an SM57 combined with X other mic).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Syphon

Reaction score
You're shooting yourself in the foot not having a royer r121 IMO. That mic is ridiculously clear and rarely needs eq.

I'll watch the vid tonight, though.

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
I'd love to have a Royer, but damn they're expensive, and i'm not made of money. These are all the mics that I have that I consider useable (i have a few curios as well but left them out).

If you want to buy me one, or when i'm rich and famous, i'll put up another comparison video. Lol.

I'll be posting the SM57 + Second mic later today. I'm sure that's what most people would use so hopefully the first video shows people what each mic does, and the second video shows people how i'd actually use them.

I'd likely use things like a HPF most of the time as well, so the ribbons in these videos that have hella low end - that's how they sound off the preamps with no HPF, EQ, or anything- it's more educational than actually practical.

-Adam

Syphon

Reaction score
Nice video but I stand by my statements. Demo an r121 on guitar sometime and you'll see exactly what I am talking about unless you're dialing in guitars heavy on bass to begin with.

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
The video with SM57 + Second mic is here, and some of these combinations were quite surprising and could work well for different types of metal (I thought the SM57 + e825 might work well for, say, industrial).

Also, Syphon - i'm not sure you understand me. I LOVE the sound of the R121, and have used them before. I want one a lot, and it's high on my list. However, with a price point around 1200 pounds/dollars, it's out of the reach of mere mortals, and since I run a studio rather than record in a bedroom, my priority has to be versatility first, hence why i've picked up most of these mics at low prices on eBay/forums over the years. Apart from the exception of the Gemini II (my main vocal mic) these are all sub £400 and affordable by most.