Ummm...let's see what else...Oh! How about Guitar Cakes? Why not.

• Thread starter spudmunkey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
When the woman and I went to do some wedding cake testings, this beauty was at one of the places.

IMG-2425.jpg

I was like if you can make that shit an Ibanez RG570 with EMGs you’ve got yourself a deal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
When the woman and I went to do some wedding cake testings, this beauty was at one of the places.

IMG-2425.jpg

I was like if you can make that shit an Ibanez RG570 with EMGs you’ve got yourself a deal.
NGL, that's pretty damned impressive. I'm 100% positive someone involved in making that at the bakery plays guitar.

jaxadam

Reaction score
NGL, that's pretty damned impressive. I'm 100% positive someone involved in making that at the bakery plays guitar.

I think that’s who we ended up going with. I was like if they can nail a Les Paul, they can definitely nail a disappearing blue flower trilevel. They did not Pinterest fail us.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A girlfriend I had ages ago made a bass birthday cake with a rice krispie neck. I think it had chocolate on it for a fretboard or maybe it had chocolate lines for frets. It was pretty close to actual bass in size but thicker. I ate most of it lol

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I guess I'll tap the keg on cake fails...but I'm going to make a exception to the "guitar cake fails" thing, and let those sort of "we pushed a bunch of cupcakes together, frosted them all in one lump, to vaguely resemble a guitar-like shape" kind of cakes slide. There's just no way that kind of thing could work for 99% of cake makers, so posting those would be lazy. 😅

But whole cakes? Game on!

1712803233675.png

jco5055

Reaction score
I see you, too, are a man of culture and watch Great British Bake Off.
not to derail the thread, but did you or anyone else watch the Nailed It Bake off? I'm looking for something to fill the void of Great British not being in season...

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
not to derail the thread, but did you or anyone else watch the Nailed It Bake off? I'm looking for something to fill the void of Great British not being in season...
I haven't, but I have watched the Great Canadian Bake Offan and it's fine. Season 2 was good, at least. I imagine Nailed It would be pretty entertaining.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I guess I'll tap the keg on cake fails...but I'm going to make a exception to the "guitar cake fails" thing, and let those sort of "we pushed a bunch of cupcakes together, frosted them all in one lump, to vaguely resemble a guitar-like shape" kind of cakes slide. There's just no way that kind of thing could work for 99% of cake makers, so posting those would be lazy. 😅

But whole cakes? Game on!

View attachment 141953

Someone should make a cake for the person that decorated the "guitar" cake with this on it:

flat,1000x1000,075,f-3821331666.jpg

Demiurge

Reaction score
For my 30th, my wife ordered a guitar cake from a friend of a friend. This was quite some time ago but around the time when theme-cake shows started airing so she was all about that. It looked OK but it was mostly structural rice crispy material coated by way too many layers of fondant. Some of the stuff out there is impressive but I still wonder if the cake actually tastes good.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For my 30th, my wife ordered a guitar cake from a friend of a friend. This was quite some time ago but around the time when theme-cake shows started airing so she was all about that. It looked OK but it was mostly structural rice crispy material coated by way too many layers of fondant. Some of the stuff out there is impressive but I still wonder if the cake actually tastes good.
I think cakes covered in fondant are the worst. My ex wife and some of her family members made cakes/cupcakes with fondant and it was never good.

I also tested this theory with fondant desserts not made by my ex wife.

Conclusion: They're still bad.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Fwiw, there are (at least) two kinds of fondant. The one most people think of is definitely trash. There's one that's newer that's better. Still not as good as some other traditional frosting, but good enough to give it a "pass" since it's not that bad and facilitates such different designs than you could ever do with smeared-on frosting/icing. I think the better one is marshmallow-based, so some people still won't like it because of that (though the texture isn't very marshmallow-like).

For baking shows, as silly as it is, Crimescene Kitchen is a bit if fun. Teams of bakers get a minute to survey a "used" kitchen with planted clues, and they have to guess the desert that was made there, then recreate it. Bakers are judged on the correctness and accuracy of their guess and finished bed good, and then the actual quality/taste of the finished item. Joel McHale hosts, Curtis Stone is one of the judges.

is it Cake? is dumb, simply because they give the real objects artificial cake-like accents like painted -on-wear to make them look more like cake from a distance, cheating the contestants. And that's ignoring the insufferable host and guest judges. But we watch it anyway. I dont know why.