Unburier - Nebulous EP - insanely good UK death metal

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Not my band, just a band I've fallen in love with that I think a lot of people on this board would really enjoy. Really young guys (nice guys too!), all early 20s, with a firmly professional attitude both live and on-record. Music is head and shoulders more technical than any other UK underground band (bar maybe Cryptic Shift) while never losing its very visceral and immediate edge, or dissolving into abstract nonsense.

Very well-developed sense of melody but doesn't tip over into melodeath territory. Kind of the best of earlier and later Death combined, with a heap of other stuff that's come since in the pot too - definitely some Necrophagist influence especially in the lead playing. I think these lads deserve to go really far.

Space aesthetic is misleading, sonically it's quite aggressive and not very spacey at all.

Full EP stream:

Guitar playthrough (feat awesome Ran Ironbird):

Bass playthrough:

No drum playthroughs from this EP yet but the drummer is an absolute monster at any age, let alone for someone so young. I've not met a drummer who's seen and wasn't impressed by him.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I'm a fan.
Really enjoyed this. Its tricky to classify, I think mainly because of the vocals.
When I first started listening I immediately thought "well, this isn't death metal" /sassiness. Most likely because of the vocal style. But after listening to a few more tracks, I was in agreement - what else could you call it? It's death metal!
Back to the vocals, I think if you asked me I'd pick unintelligable death growls as my go-to choice of vox, but I think the fact that this band doesn't have that style is probably what made me pay attention and sit and listen to them. Also the riffs inspired me to pick my guitar up too which is usually a good sign!
Definitely a band to keep an eye on!

Werecow

Reaction score
Yep, I'm a fan.
Really enjoyed this. Its tricky to classify, I think mainly because of the vocals.
When I first started listening I immediately thought "well, this isn't death metal" /sassiness. Most likely because of the vocal style. But after listening to a few more tracks, I was in agreement - what else could you call it? It's death metal!
Back to the vocals, I think if you asked me I'd pick unintelligable death growls as my go-to choice of vox, but I think the fact that this band doesn't have that style is probably what made me pay attention and sit and listen to them. Also the riffs inspired me to pick my guitar up too which is usually a good sign!
Definitely a band to keep an eye on!
I had exactly the same first reaction. Trouble is, i'm not really keen at all on this metalcore (or however you want to describe it) style of vocals. When i want some death metal, i mainly want Bolt Thrower style vocals, or something more unique like Cattle Decapitation.
The music in this kicks arse though :)