Unexpected Doom (Crate GX?)

• Thread starter Grindspine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I have a 1994 Crate GX212+ combo that I have always kept around as a practice / pedal platform / not worth selling amp. The only major mod done over the years was replacing the stock Crate 80-watt drivers with Celestion G12H-80 speakers (same as Line 6 Vetta G12H-90, similar to Black Shadow MC-90). I typically use a Dunlop Volume X pedal on the insert/effects loop to control the touchy volume.

I also have a couple of VHT / Fryette Valvulator 1 tube buffers.

Since I already have been using a volume pedal to control the overall output, I figured that I could try throwing a Valvulator in the loop, cranking the level hitting the tube, then drop the volume back down with the volume pedal... and.. it worked. Doing A/B comparisons of with or without the Valvulator in the loop, it sounds to me like I do get the tube compressing and saturating a bit. The overall sound is a bit smoother and warmer. WIthout the buffer in the loop, the sound is more crisp, but borders on sounding harsh.

The video quality is super dark.. I really need to light up my studio more, but I will upload the vid with the big fat doom sound. The rig in total was the following.

Ibanez Prestige RGD2127, NYXL1046 strings at Bb, Seymour Duncan Nazgul
Crate GX212+ combo
Fryette Valvulator 1 tube buffer
Dunlop Volume X mini
Celestion G12H-80 speakers
Furman Power Factor power conditioner

May post the goPro videos later to compare the with & without Valvulator, but at least you can kinda see the room in the phone vid.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.