Unknown Ibanez Universe 1991 Model

Kharon

Reaction score
Hello!
I was searching around the web for a second hand Ibanez Universe and I came across something I've never seen before on a Hungarian. A Universe with Black body and pick guard, disappearing pyramid fretboard with a black headstock and white logo. I was thinking it was some modded UV777 at first but the neck has no binding, so my best guess it's either a modded UV7PWH or a model I've never seen before. It's not in any database or catalog that I've checked. The guy that sold it only stated that it was a 1991 UV7 so I'm clueless!

Does anybody know what UV this is? Please inform me cause I'm really curious!

Attachments

• 652234_ibanez_uvpbk_006.jpg
    652234_ibanez_uvpbk_006.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 652239_ibanez_uvpbk_008.jpg
    652239_ibanez_uvpbk_008.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 652240_ibanez_uvpbk_007.jpg
    652240_ibanez_uvpbk_007.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 652241_ibanez_uvpbk_009.jpg
    652241_ibanez_uvpbk_009.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 652243_ibanez_uvpbk_011.jpg
    652243_ibanez_uvpbk_011.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 652245_ibanez_uvpbk_012.jpg
    652245_ibanez_uvpbk_012.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 152

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Someone refinished a UV7PWH to black. I've seen at least two like this over the years, one had a completely new body (Alder if I remember correctly) made, the other was just a refin.

77zark77

Reaction score
It also could be an UV7S (the neck pocket can talk) with a custom neck or a PWH refinished neck ?
Hard to say here, but the fretboard looks like it's made of ebony

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It also could be an UV7S (the neck pocket can talk) with a custom neck or a PWH refinished neck ?
Hard to say here, but the fretboard looks like it's made of ebony

It's definitely rosewood. The pictures are poorly lit, but if you blow them up you can see the grain. Most of my UVs from this time period have darkened similar to this, with just a hint of brown showing through in some spots.

It could be a Silver Dot body, but given how many poor PWHs got refinished, that seems like the path of least resistance.

Not to mention, if it's really from 91' that would preclude the 97' Silver Dot. Though, it depends on how the age is verified. The only thing I'd trust here is a look at the back of the neck (for CE sticker) and the neck plate. Pickups are too easy to swap out.

77zark77

Reaction score
@Maxometal
The neck could be stamped F1xxxx, you can't say about the body till you look at the neck pocket
But I have to admit you have more UV science than me

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Maxometal
The neck could be stamped F1xxxx, you can't say about the body till you look at the neck pocket
But I have to admit you have more UV science than me

Considering the guitar is gone, all we have to go by are the pics.

It could be a complete Frankenstein build or custom for all we know.

I just know for a fact it's not a production model and doesn't match any customs that Vai had in that time period.

77zark77

Reaction score
I just know for a fact it's not a production model and doesn't match any customs that Vai had in that time period.

Correct.
The only way to go further (maybe) is looking at the neck pocket, and why not, the neck heel

Kharon

Reaction score
Someone refinished a UV7PWH to black. I've seen at least two like this over the years, one had a completely new body (Alder if I remember correctly) made, the other was just a refin.
So I wasn't completely off. What got me is how convincing the refinish is. It looks really good! When you search "UV7PBK" there's more results but we know that isn't a real model! That thing with a tortoise pick guard would be yummy imo! :agreed:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I wasn't completely off. What got me is how convincing the refinish is. It looks really good! When you search "UV7PBK" there's more results but we know that isn't a real model! That thing with a tortoise pick guard would be yummy imo! :agreed:

That's the thing, the old PWH models used to be stripped and refinished all the time. Folks thought they were "boring" when they first came out, compared to the MC, GR, and even the Green Dot. That's one of the reasons that PWHs go for so much used now, there's just so few of them (relatively, there's still hundreds) that weren't dolled up.

Many were swirled (usually poorly) and some were painted black to match the cult favorite JEM7PBK which was available in very low quantities from 89' to 91'.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
We need a definitive Jem thread with pics and the “levels” they fall into (high to low end, etc”. I get genuinely lost searching for them and can never tel what is or isn’t a good deal on any of them.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We need a definitive Jem thread with pics and the “levels” they fall into (high to low end, etc”. I get genuinely lost searching for them and can never tel what is or isn’t a good deal on any of them.

Prices come and go depending on what's in fashion and what else is available at the time.

That on top of everything else that comes with old, used guitars.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
Pretty cool guitar regardless of it being mystery meat, good job with the headstock decal. I hope whoever bought it finds his way to this forum and posts an NGD so we can further examine lol.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Prices come and go depending on what's in fashion and what else is available at the time.

That on top of everything else that comes with old, used guitars.

I mean specifically to identify what I’m even looking at. I’m lost when it comes to Jems

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

univerze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm the owner and builder of the requested Ibanez Universe. All parts are original factory made, only the pickguard is a remake.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Really dig this one, and hope to one day magically stumble across a perfect condition PWH and GR.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Only way to find out is to pop the neck, look at the stamp. But that will be without much doubt a refinished UV7PWH, or a refinished PWH body on a UV7BK body with an aftermarket pickguard, or a pickguard salvaged from a silver dot.

Looks kind of cool though, and if the price is low enough (because not original etc) then I'd see no reason not to buy it. I'd buy it. But then again I buy universes because they're like crack.

Latest posts