Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion of the day:

Don't patronize others because they lack a skill you deem "essential" for a guitar player. A player might not know how to setup his guitar or his amp, but outplay your ass off (Marty Friedman comes to mind). Or maybe the opposite. Some dudes couldn't play guitar to save their lives but make fantastic instruments (Mike Shannon, for example). Others can be mediocre players but have a massive live/road experience that would make a Plini-skilled guitarist look like a total rookie.

Guitar is so broad in general that it's impossible to be good at everything unless you can affort to invest all your time in music.

Well said. It sucks that decent people have to constantly remind others to "just don't be a dick".

I still think that any guitar demo video that opens up with a loud 2 minute box pentatonic blues jam should be outlawed, but that's as far as I'm willing to fall into the hole of elitism :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Unpopular opinion of the day:

Don't patronize others because they lack a skill you deem "essential" for a guitar player. A player might not know how to setup his guitar or his amp, but outplay your ass off (Marty Friedman comes to mind). Or maybe the opposite. Some dudes couldn't play guitar to save their lives but make fantastic instruments (Mike Shannon, for example). Others can be mediocre players but have a massive live/road experience that would make a Plini-skilled guitarist look like a total rookie.

Guitar is so broad in general that it's impossible to be good at everything unless you can affort to invest all your time in music.

Agreed. The best coaches aren’t necessarily the best athletes, and the best athletes aren’t necessarily the best coaches.

Hell, some people sweep taps and some people tap sweeps.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Oh oh I have one!

I hate the PRS trem.

I've had the SE trem and after that also I put a USA trem on my PRS SE as well. It works well but I hate the idea of the 6 screws, that if you adjust one of those wrong, you ruin the trem.
It was a real pain in the ass, I got that guitar when I was 17 and I didn't know how to adjust the bridge at the time. The problem was that the "techs" who were around in town didn't know how to adjust it either. They would treat it like a Stratocaster trem, screw it all the way down, etc. It was really stupid.
I also hate the idea that "it's setup in the factory and you're not supposed to touch it ever". Because mine was setup like shit from the factory.
Anyway I learnt a lot from adjusting and modifying that guitar, it's my favourite guitar ever.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I think his is the unpopular opinion. I thought people like the PRS trem for the most part?

Anyways yeah it's funny people are shocked about opinions in the... uh.. Unpopular Opinions thread. :lol:
yeah - boomers. It's better than import junk and better than Fender's 6-point, but that's the end of the story. It doesn't hold tune as well as a 510 or a Music Man trem (not to mention locking trems), it's super fiddly to set up and you can easily damage the posts if you aren't careful, and the full range of the trem is like 1/8 the range of modern trems. If you just want to do small vintage wiggles and you pay a tech to set it up I bet you think it's fantastic. If you want any kind of dive bombs or squealies, or you plan to change string gauges and therefore the height of the bridge more than once a year, it's not great.

Bonus points for the trem screw heads being wider than the baseplate holes so you can't remove the bridge when you're doing a full cleaning and setup or pickup swap, and the trem posts sticking through the wood into the trem cavity so regular screw-in trem stoppers can't be installed. I get that most people don't do a bunch of pickup swaps or setup changes on their core PRS's like I do, but goddamn is that bridge a pain.

gnoll

Reaction score
About the "classic strat" I can for sure think of some improvements:

Yes the neck heel sucks. Make it neck-through.

Get rid of the silly trem thing. The fact that it doesn't even have a locking nut should be a sign that it's pretty useless anyway. Put some fixed bridge there instead.

24 frets for sure!

Flatten the radius a bit.

If strats were like this they would be fucking amazing. I mean they would literally simply be far better.

Strats the way they are feel like guitars for people who play boring music.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score

Get rid of the silly trem thing. The fact that it doesn't even have a locking nut should be a sign that it's pretty useless anyway. Put some fixed bridge there instead.

24 frets for sure!

If strats were like this they would be fucking amazing. I mean they would literally simply be far better.

+ slightly deeper cutaway for that 24th fret access.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score

24 frets for sure!

Exactly this!

10/10.

They need to change the most popular thing to something different that already exists.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
SSO:

Fender needs to take the Strat, make it 24 frets, ditch the boomer singles and put two BKP Juggs in there. Add another string while we’re at it and tune properly to drop-A. Might as well ditch the stupid pickguard, trem, and neck heel garbage too.

Once the wall is built no more of those Chalupa guitars gonna be imported either. Shift production to Poland.

The Monster With .

Death row, water buffalo
Reaction score
@USMarine75 does anyone sell that guard if you have a pool routed body?
I have one I got made from Dragonfire. They actually have a ton of customization for pickguards, like getting that volume knob out of my way. Cheap and good quality.

That being said, I don't really notice much difference with the Hendrix pickup placement, but maybe it's the noiseless pickups I have, which seem a little less bitey shrill to me. And I'm not really too much of a strat guy these days.

The Monster With .

Death row, water buffalo
Reaction score
SSO:

Fender needs to take the Strat, make it 24 frets, ditch the boomer singles and put two BKP Juggs in there. Add another string while we’re at it and tune properly to drop-A. Might as well ditch the stupid pickguard, trem, and neck heel garbage too.

Once the wall is built no more of those Chalupa guitars gonna be imported either. Shift production to Poland.
Multiscale or get out.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
SSO:

giphy.gif

FMIC could call it "Jackson"!!

Matt08642

Reaction score

24 frets for sure!

ITT: SSO creates a Jackson soloist 40 years after it was already created

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
SSO:

SS frets or gtfo

Latest posts