Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
People always say that but I've always thought it is the opposite. Compression can help even things out (specially on legato or tapping runs) but you better be a clean player or all your mistakes will turn into unfathomable noise
Agree 100% if you're sloppy no amount of gain or compression can save you.

Actually the typical legato sound with tons of mids and compression will highlight every single mistake you make instead of hiding it.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Hi-gain will tell if someone has sloppy muting technique or they pick like a wimp. Because there's compression along with all the gain you have to work it a little harder at least in case of rhythm guitars.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
my interpretation of "high gain hides mistakes" was always in reference to kids playing a Line 6 Spider III 15W on Insane with the gain all the way up and the mids all the way down. that'll turn everything you play into a senseless mush. it seems generally most of the guitar community has kind of outgrown that tendency nowadays

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
my interpretation of "high gain hides mistakes" was always in reference to kids playing a Line 6 Spider III 15W on Insane with the gain all the way up and the mids all the way down. that'll turn everything you play into a senseless mush. it seems generally most of the guitar community has kind of outgrown that tendency nowadays
Says you

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I've never really understood the hate for Line 6 Spider III's. I had the 15w one back in the day and I kept it for a few months after I got my 5150 III. Honestly they make a pretty rad practice amp. It would fart out hard when trying to practice with a drummer, but for bedroom volumes it definitely sounds good. And it records decently as well - at least as decently as you could reasonably expect. Are people really that butthurt that a super budget solid state modeler isn't literally a 100W tube half stack? It does what it does very well IMO, especially at used prices (I think I paid 40 bucks for mine in 2010ish).

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I knew a dude who practiced strictly only clean for years, and he was miles better than I was technically. When it came to actually playing with gain he sounded atrocious. That was maybe a decade ago and he still has a lot of trouble with keeping his guitar quiet. I think you should practice how you want to play with the conditions you want to use.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I've never really understood the hate for Line 6 Spider III's. I had the 15w one back in the day and I kept it for a few months after I got my 5150 III. Honestly they make a pretty rad practice amp. It would fart out hard when trying to practice with a drummer, but for bedroom volumes it definitely sounds good. And it records decently as well - at least as decently as you could reasonably expect. Are people really that butthurt that a super budget solid state modeler isn't literally a 100W tube half stack? It does what it does very well IMO, especially at used prices (I think I paid 40 bucks for mine in 2010ish).
i feel like you read up until the words "Spider III" and then just wrote a response lmao

i have 0 beef with Line 6 or Spider amps. they're "fine". would I ever gig with one? no. would i use one even now to practice at home if i had one? sure. in this day and age i'd take a vypyr or even a mustang LT25 over a spider, though.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
i feel like you read up until the words "Spider III" and then just wrote a response lmao
I wasn't trying to argue directly with you, I was posting my unpopular opinion as a continuation of your comment

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to argue directly with you, I was posting my unpopular opinion as a continuation of your comment
fair enough, my bad on that

as far as why it has its reputation? because it's what beginner guitarists can afford, so the sound of someone who hasn't really gotten skilled yet is the sound that's associated with it. it's stupid, but it is what it is

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
fair enough, my bad on that

as far as why it has its reputation? because it's what beginner guitarists can afford, so the sound of someone who hasn't really gotten skilled yet is the sound that's associated with it. it's stupid, but it is what it is
Ime, it's just like you said: max gain, no mids and from what I remember some kids doing was cranked highs so it was extra abrasive and shitty sounding.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Ime, it's just like you said: max gain, no mids and from what I remember some kids doing was cranked highs so it was extra abrasive and shitty sounding.
Yup. I used to think they were the worst thing you could pick up as a younger forumite and then one day I was in a GC and a technically excellent player had one dialed in for brutal death metal… very well. Blew me away and I could not replicate his tone (no surprise there, I sucked even worse back then).

gnoll

Reaction score
If you think that's bad, your ears would probably fall off if you listened to the Subterranean EP

Which is funny because that's where some of the best songs are. Oh well, more for us I guess, or something...

In Flames are tricky though. There's always some good songs and some kind of crap ones. Except after Clayman when there's only crap. But picking a favorite album? Hm, I don't even know. Just give me any album up until Clayman and I'll listen to half and throw the other half in the bin. Ok, except maybe Lunar Strain and Subterranean. They're not very polished, but the music is consistently enjoyable. No cheesy riffs or cringy choruses to ruin things.

Were these kids Norwegian by any chance?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Bjorn Strid could sing into a hairdryer and make it sound good…