Unpopular Opinions

• Thread starter Mortargag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Anyone with a phone who wants to act stupid on the internet for 30 seconds can get thier stuff out there. In the past you had to learn an instrument, find others to practice with, get good enough to get gigs, haul gear to play, play, un haul, etc.... FAR more work than clicking post on TikTok.
Obviously it’s not all of them, but most of the solo guys doing stuff online that actually make money off of it put in a lot more effort than “act stupid and click <POST>”. Even the insufferable ones. They either have the work put in to manage the technical side of it so their stuff has production value that keeps people coming back or/also they’ve put in the time to learning the instrument to a level that people want to see more of what they’re doing. It’s not my entertainment because it’s more or less reality TV in short form, but it’s not just shitting content into the world.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Obviously it’s not all of them, but most of the solo guys doing stuff online that actually make money off of it put in a lot more effort than “act stupid and click <POST>”. Even the insufferable ones. They either have the work put in to manage the technical side of it so their stuff has production value that keeps people coming back or/also they’ve put in the time to learning the instrument to a level that people want to see more of what they’re doing. It’s not my entertainment because it’s more or less reality TV in short form, but it’s not just shitting content into the world.
My original comment was younger generations putting everything on the internet, not just musicians.

Shask

Reaction score
Quick click through Reels/Youtube and its attention whores of all ages.
I was just saying it is easier to get your stuff out in the world than it used to be, so people who performed before the internet had to put more effort into it, and why more people are doing it now.

Shask

Reaction score
Well if I learned anything in combinatorial analysis, it’s that “thier” could possibly be the correct spelling!
e and i are both vowels, and therefore grammatically equivalent, thus you can substitute one for the other and produce an equivalent statement. :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone with a phone who wants to act stupid on the internet for 30 seconds can get thier stuff out there. In the past you had to learn an instrument, find others to practice with, get good enough to get gigs, haul gear to play, play, un haul, etc.... FAR more work than clicking post on TikTok.
Pretending tape trading didnt exist is one hell of a take :lol:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Validated or seeking validation attention addicts and musicians might have a lot of crossover, I think it's primarily about the main origin of the motivation that makes them wildly different though. I wanted to get better to play at the level of the people I looked up to. The rest, like shows and promoting stuff, were just indulgences to make my music better along the way.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I just think @Shask has some very red glasses on regarding musicians, bands and fame pre internet.

Shask

Reaction score
I just think @Shask has some very red glasses on regarding musicians, bands and fame pre internet.
No, I am just saying more people put stuff out in the public in general these days because it is easier than it was pre-internet. It is more normal for younger generations because they dont remember a time when you couldnt get instant access to anything at any time.

Shask

Reaction score
And if you mic’d the 212’s you would be back at small/IR. Amp in the room only happens with an amp in the room.

I also wonder what “whisper quiet” actually measures at when we throw it around :lol:
I was just playing my SLO modded Jet City at volumes low enough to hear my phone over it. I measured it for you. It was about 73 db. Huge tone, low volume. :)

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I was just saying it is easier to get your stuff out in the world than it used to be, so people who performed before the internet had to put more effort into it, and why more people are doing it now.
Publishing to an audience is easier, for sure. But since everyone can do it you still have to put in the work to not get buried.
Not nearly as widespread as the internet. You couldnt get 10 million listens of your tape with a quick click of a button.
Yeah, but 10 million views once on the internet is about as valuable as getting 20 people to listen to your demo in 1997. If you can’t repeat it all the time it hardly matters. Someone else gets those 10 million views tomorrow. There’s a video of my farting on my doorbell cam that got almost 5 million views in a week. It didn’t make me a celebrity or get me any offers, lol.

Shask

Reaction score
I’m almost 40 playing music that doesn’t make any money and barely put out any “content” besides an EP every couple of years, lol. Well we’ve kept the band together long enough to be at the “t shirts and gas don’t come out of my pocket” point. It is weird to me to think of the gear in any other way than what works best for creating with others and playing shows. IMO digital solutions are much more efficient tools. But that’s also coming from someone who has framed employment around my creative time so budget is always consideration.
I can appreciate that perspective, like a carpenter who views their tools as their work. They make their money from their tools. However, I have the same tools, but I dont use them in the same way. I dont make money from them. I just fix shit in my house when it breaks.

I view guitar gear as toys. It is for fun. It does not make me money. If I toured the world and made a living from them, I would look at them differently, and use them for a different purpose.

Shask

Reaction score
Publishing to an audience is easier, for sure. But since everyone can do it you still have to put in the work to not get buried.

Yeah, but 10 million views once on the internet is about as valuable as getting 20 people to listen to your demo in 1997. If you can’t repeat it all the time it hardly matters. Someone else gets those 10 million views tomorrow. There’s a video of my farting on my doorbell cam that got almost 5 million views in a week. It didn’t make me a celebrity or get me any offers, lol.
I am sure more people heard your fart then Joe down the street's guitar riff he played in his garage once in 1974, lol.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I think the aspect of ‘who the fuck knows what’s going to be big on the internet tomorrow’ is always going to keep a large amount of people throwing their hat in the ring, because why not?

I started playing in bands in the mid-90’s, but I don’t look at how promotion works in 2024 and think “That’s a fuck of a lot easier than what I used to do”, I just think “Fuuuuuuuck that” I don’t have anywhere near the motivation to put into the amount of actual work it takes to do the internet guitar player thing.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I am sure more people heard your fart then Joe down the street's guitar riff he played in his garage once in 1974, lol.
But it has an equivalent value, is the point. It doesn’t mean anything unless you keep it going.
I started playing in bands in the mid-90’s, but I don’t look at how promotion works in 2024 and think “That’s a fuck of a lot easier than what I used to do”, I just think “Fuuuuuuuck that” I don’t have anywhere near the motivation to put into the amount of actual work it takes to do the internet guitar player thing.
Late ‘90s, but yeah, I’d rather do the grind with fliers and tape trades and message board networking than trying to continually produce quality content in trending formats.

Shask

Reaction score
funny, I chose Linguistics in part for the lack of math requirements. two kinds of people....
I always tell English majors about how Mathematics is just a language. It is a symbolic language with specific rules that we created to explain the world around us. Therefore, English majors must like Mathematics also, since they enjoy all language. :D