Update your browsers, computers (exploit related)

• Thread starter Spaced Out Ace
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
There was an exploit recently involving FreeType. It was discovered by Google, but likely could affect anything utilizing FreeType, such as Chromium based browsers, and Linux distros. The exploit seems pretty serious (based on how some are reacting; then again, some people act like any exploit is super dangerous, so grain of salt), and everyone should update their stuff. The level of hyperbole in the video below or elsewhere discussing this exploit may be large or small, but better safe than sorry.

Here is a video talking about it, but if you'd rather look into it yourself, it is CVE-2020-15999. It seems that someone can use the exploit (if not patched) to take advantage of someone's system.

I'm sure some might respond with mockery, and if that is your response, probably best to just keep it moving.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Do browsers automatically update themselves when closed and opened? I’m assuming I don’t need to download a new version of chrome, opera, etc to do this.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Do browsers automatically update themselves when closed and opened? I’m assuming I don’t need to download a new version of chrome, opera, etc to do this.

Chrome auto-updates at least, probably all other major browsers do too.

And yeah, that's no joke - exploits are discovered all the time and basically all you can do to protect yourself from them is to stay updated...