UPGRADE & RESTORE FIREBALL ?

neurosis

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am browsing the Internet for a new grill and frontal for my Fireball without success.

It is the old 60W version. I need new valves (don't know what to put in there right now though) cause the tone is kinda mellowing down.

Also I think I should take it to revision because it is making weird "click and pop" sounds when I switch the standby on and off even after the valves have cooled down. I am pretty sure that something is fucked in the circuitery.

I have also noticed that the amp doesn't light up anymore, but this could be due to the different valves. I bought it used and the previous owner had the valves changed.

BUt for now I want to retolex it myself and try to find a new frontal panel. I know where to get tolex and have a few tutorials for that, but have no clue where to get the grill and panel and ignore the difficulty of replacing that part myself.

Thanks a lot! Hope to get some feedback.

Cheers!:hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pedrojoca

Gear Whore
Reaction score
hmmm... i guess changing the tubes might solve a few of those problems, like the clicks and pops and the tone change.

about the grill and tolex, i'm sorry but there's really nothing i can say.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt you're going to find pre-made FB60 grills and panels. In fact the only pre-made's I've found have been for Marshalls, Mesas, Fenders, and some Peaveys. You're likely going to have to cut your own, which isn't too hard as long as you have a saw, just remember to measure twice and cut once.

As for the amp istelf, I'd put your energy and money into getting it sounding good before making any aesthetic mods. You may just not like the amp too much and putting some DIY tolex on is certainly not going to help with resale value.

neurosis

Reaction score
I can see what you mean.

So what tubes would you guys suggest? What is best to go in the ENGL?

OR could I possibly get the amp checked to see if the problem is really casued by the tubes and nothing else before spending any money on it?

I am fairly happy with the tone so far. It's really a one trick pony and just slays with certain pick up configurations and woods... but I would really like to know what the hell it's doing.

Should I buy original ENGL tubes, like the setup that originally came with the amp?

IT should have 3x ECC83 in the preamp section and 1 x ECC83, 2 x 6L6GC in the master section.

But currently it has 3x 12AX7B russian tubes in the preamp and 1x 12AX7B and 2 6L6GC in the master section.

So no idea if this is good or bad. Sounds roarring to me. Not in a bad way. But maybe I can better the tubes if I chose to change them.

Whatever you guys say. I don't know much about the inside of this amp.

:rolleyes:

Latest posts