Upgrading from RGA7 to Iron Label RGIR27FE

• Thread starter ctgblue
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
Got a steal on the RGA7 so I had to grab it to see if I'd play it.
Played it all the time, have a buyer for it so I grabbed the Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27FE.

I was planning to upgrade the pickups to EMG's or SD Blackout EMTY's anyway.

I got the Iron for under $500 as it was a factory blem with a ding in the binding

So, for about the cost of the pickups I got the sleeker body, the EMG's installed, and the kill switch.

I just couldn't sell enough stuff to have Carvin build me a DC700

IbanezIronLabelRGIR27FE_zps2d8b7da8.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shupe13

Reaction score
The Iron Label Ibbys are badass! Congrats!

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
the pickups in the RGA are not as bad as some people say, in clean and crunch tones they are fine, but as the gain goes up they get a little dark for me in the mid range
So I was going to go with Duncan EMTY's or EMG81-7's but the battery box on the RGA uses 2AA's so mods necessary.
The Iron Label guitar is essentially the same feel, it just has the EMG707's already so it's done right.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
Okay, it was the pickups, the guitars feel so similar, but the Iron feels like a stripped down racer compared to the RGA.

Like I said, the RGA pickups were okay on the bright clean channels of my Engl's and Orange TVrb, but got muddy on the high gain tones.
The EMG 707's are the tone I wanted, very happy

DeathClown

Reaction score
Damn I really want to sell my RGA7 for a RGIR27FE.
The RGA7 is great except for the pickups :/, they're too muddy. I don't suppose people are really wanting to go for an RGA7, especially since they're discontinued .

AcidRG7620

Matty
Reaction score
I can't find any of these Iron Label Ibanez 7s where I live. How does yours

play? Is it awesome?

I'm interested in getting the RGIX27FM but they just aren't around where I am.

ctgblue

finally got seven
Reaction score
^^^
Even though the neck profile specs are the same, it 'feels' faster.

It's like the the RGA7 felt like I was working to play fast runs up high and the Iron WANTS to do it.

The pickups are awesome, just like my EMG81's on my Jackson, I can clean it up by rolling back the volume.

I got a hell of a deal on it as it was a 'blem' so I am super happy with it. I'd trade it for a DC700 with a 20" radius, but that's about it.