[Urgent!] Peavey Valveking

• Thread starter B52431
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

B52431

:)
Reaction score
Hi all, I just need some info on this amp, its the 100 watt head Valveking, which this guy is selling for £120 ($190), and I just want to know whether its worth it for that price, and basically what its like as an amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
That's a great price, especially if that kind of power is good for you. Not as aggressive as 5150 but nice crunch. Retube goes a long way if it still has stock.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a heck of a deal. They're a pretty decent amp and I did really like the A/B-A Texture feature, but I like that Class A sound. It's probably Peavey's most Mesa-like amp offering.

MrRCJ

Reaction score
I was never a fan of the Valveking, but I'd be all over one for that price as long as it's in working order. Worst that could happen is you don't like it and sell it for small profit or atleast make your money back.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I'd get it. If you're looking for an amp to play in a band setting, you'd be hard pressed to do better at that price.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
That's a great price! I got one years ago for around the same (300 for the head and a Carvin 2x12) and always thought it was the most bang-for-your-buck head.

It'll need a boost for metal, but overall it's really usable :yesway:

csm84

csm84
Reaction score
Yeah not a bad price. I used to have one that i bought new and also thought were pretty cheap new. It was ok amp. Ok clean and decent crunch. Had no balls though. Guess it really just depends what you kind of music you pay. If you play hard rock or metal a overdrive or distortion is a must because the amp cant pull it off on its own. Wasnt my cup of tea but im sure it has its place in certain music. Just not heavy stuff. I bought mine with the matching cab because of the price and there is nothing wrong with that. You can make it work for sure if you have to.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
It's, by itself with no pedals, a blues/classic rock amp. That being said, I've run an overdrive up front and got a great metal tone out of it, and now I run my POD HD500 into it. As long as it's working and in good enough condition, $190 is a pretty ridiculous deal, considering it's almost 1/3 of the price of a new one.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I didn't like mine too much, but I didn't know shit about how to dial an amp back when I had it. I'm sure if I got my hands on one now it would sound pretty damn good for the price.

Rex

Reaction score
190$ + a cheap overdrive (Bad Monkey, boss sd1, joyo vintage overdrive...), it's one of the best sounding amp for metal in a budget, for that money is cheaper than a line 6 spider.

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
I hated my valveking head. It just sounded like arse. So i swapped all the tubes, added a choke, swapped the output transformer for mercury magnetics, bought better celestion 12's.... and it still sounded like arse. So i ended up selling it. Really nice cleans though, but the gain channel sounds like muddy, buzzy, cheap, without any focus ... in short its impossible to get a decent tone out of this. For cleans its nice though.

Rex

Reaction score
Combo or head? Head sounds wayy better than combos, specially for metal sounds.

Rex

Reaction score
Ohhh excuse me you say head.... hmm my valveking boosted with a Bad Monkey sounds ok. Great metal tones fue the price, seriously, youtube is plenty of vídeos demostrating how to get metal tones with this head

jbmcfall

jbmcfall
Reaction score
Curious if you picked that up. I'd get a second for that price. I bought it as an entry level tube head. Did mods to it along the way and got a lot of compliments from fans, sound guys, and fellow guitar players. I love it and it's like my own signature sound at this point. Good luck with it if you got it!