US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
if you have no income or reduced income would you rather pay 85% of something or nothing? again, not the best analogy. lots of people probably didn't drive at all or just to the grocery store a few times for the entire month. 85% seems kinda greedy to me but there is always the banks to pile on i guess. def makes for a good commercial though. i dont think any of the car insurance companies would go out of business or even miss a meal if they setup a program to waive one month of premiums if you can prove loss of income.

you went from saying you would have no idea how to contact your bank to saying you are talking to them constantly. sorry i couldn't understand what that meant. also, i'm sorry you are getting the run around. where i work is a family run business and we treat people well but we are not mind readers.

banks are not going to sit there and try to figure out if every single one of their customers are still working or not or even beyond that who would want deferments and who would not. the only way they are going to know to defer your payments is if you ask. its not a horrible conversation. takes about 1 min and is actually very easy, at least where i work.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Auto insurers aren't doing this out of altruism. They pretty much have to. They're under scrutiny from regulators.

The savings is also just about as much as many would get by adjusting their yearly mileage to zero or almost zero.

It's cool they're doing it automatically, but it's not out of the kindness of their hearts.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
This might be stupid but I'm not sure so bear with me:

$1200 is about the cost of the average mortgage payment or rent payment. If banks own the homes and apartment buildings, then isn't giving $1200 to everyone without freezing mortgage/rent more or less another bank bailout? I mean those are maybe a high average, but ultimately well over 50% of this money being distributed is just going straight to the banks.

money moves in a circle man. everyday dollar you spend goes somewhere else. do not directly eat the stimulus check.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
you went from saying you would have no idea how to contact your bank to saying you are talking to them constantly.

I have a small community bank for my personal checking, a different bank for my business account(s) and a third bank I spoke to about an SBA loan when both of my other banks stiffed me. All three have branches where I live/work, and I can either visit, call or email them.

My personal lines of credit are handled by Capital One and Paypal Credit, because they were who would offer me credit at a time when I couldn't get it elsewhere. They're who I owe debt to and they don't have a branch or individual I work directly with, they're very blackbox. I'm sure I could Google a phone number and eventually talk to a person, if that's where you want to set the bar.

Auto insurers aren't doing this out of altruism. They pretty much have to. They're under scrutiny from regulators.

The savings is also just about as much as many would get by adjusting their yearly mileage to zero or almost zero.

It's cool they're doing it automatically, but it's not out of the kindness of their hearts.

Didn't say it was, and I don't see why we're to assume everything the bank does is from the kindness of theirs either :shrug:

To follow sleewell's line of thought, lots of people are still working and still driving just as much as they did before. How come blanket policy for everyone vs mind reading is a selectively valid argument? All I meant was that the banks could have offered some kind of blanket assistance by default and ratcheted up or down based on individual need.

Demiurge

Reaction score

It's a win-win for insurers, really. Companies look like good citizens while the regulators are sated, but the returned premium is also a pittance compared to savings due to the drop in claims. Where I work, lower-level adjusters are being tapped to assist with administrative and customer service call-center duties because there's so little coming in now. My desk, however, never sleeps :lol:. It's going to be a treat when people start suing over COVID-19 exposure, though.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't say it was, and I don't see why we're to assume everything the bank does is from the kindness of theirs either :shrug:

To follow sleewell's line of thought, lots of people are still working and still driving just as much as they did before. How come blanket policy for everyone vs mind reading is a selectively valid argument? All I meant was that the banks could have offered some kind of blanket assistance by default and ratcheted up or down based on individual need.

I was agreeing with you, Randy. :)

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was agreeing with you, Randy. :)

Sorry for the argumentative tone. I don't believe insurance companies of any stripes are altruistic and actually, my 6-month insurance premium ALSO came due after I was outta work, so fuck them anyway :lol:

Maybe I'm overly cynical but with the mountain of red tape I've gone through, so far, with zero concessions from a single institution (no Pandemic assistance from unemployment, no stimulus check and no SBA loan or even a processed application from THREE different banks), I'm VERY skeptical of the "well, if you need help just let us know" approach.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for the argumentative tone. I don't believe insurance companies of any stripes are altruistic and actually, my 6-month insurance premium ALSO came due after I was outta work, so fuck them anyway :lol:

Maybe I'm overly cynical but with the mountain of red tape I've gone through, so far, with zero concessions from a single institution (no Pandemic assistance from unemployment, no stimulus check and no SBA loan), I'm VERY skeptical of the "well, if you need help just let us know" approach.

The fact that two Americans, you and I, could experience such different situations is symptom of our broken, apathetic system.

Again, I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you're dealing with.

That seems to be the rule rather than the exception. Those who really need the help are being stone walled, while those who don't get offers at an almost absurd rate. At least talking with friends and family.

InHiding

Reaction score
I'm not advocating for Trump but this is how you crush an election:

spudmunkey

Reaction score

The often-self-reported billionaire shaming someone for having a nice refrigerator and staffers who can stock it....while Trump Organization asks for money from Trump administration, and spending more in 2 years on golf, much at his family's own private resort, than Obama did in all vacations 8 years? Got it. :lol:

InHiding

Reaction score
He will crush Biden. This is not a game of logic. Trump doesn't show total ignorance and blindness to the existence of the human race like Pelosi does all the time.

sleewell

Reaction score
yeah that dumb vid doesn't really own the libs at all. ads like these however are pretty devastating to swing voters.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
This is not a game of logic.

Oh, of course not. I'll definite agree with you on--

Trump doesn't show total ignorance and blindness to the existence of the human race like Pelosi does all the time.

original.gif

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I mean, fire away. He's entirely right and this is as bad as it looks, but this is typical 'out of touch, ivory tower' politician shit versus literally the worst President and most abhorrent political figure in modern US history. That might resonate with people who are already voting for him but Nancy Pelosi (who's not running for POTUS, btw) isn't magically so bad that it somehow makes Trump good. I'm fully prepared for another 6 months of this.

sleewell

Reaction score
looks like the drudge report is turning on trump. many negative stories featured near the top. support from seniors seems to be cratering too which is a huge demographic for him.

i think its going to hinge on his insistence to re open the economy. if it goes well he could win. if it goes poorly and things are shut down again with many more deaths he will lose in a landslide.

Reaction score
I have no say in the US election, but, from what I can tell, whoever wins Florida will be 95% likely to win the entire election, because most of the other states in the US are already decided before the election, and the election result is decided by state majorities and not by each person's vote.

Only Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and maybe North Carolina are undecided. A person might say that something major might happen to change the result, but it seems that several major things have happened already and it changed no one's mind anyway. The only way one candidate will win the election without winning in Florida is if every single other state that is undecided casts for the other candidate, including North Carolina.

So the same Florida man who is attacking a restaurant employee over not getting his drinking straw, fooling his family into thinking his murdered wife is alive for months, stealing the pickup truck of the good Samaritan who stopped to help him, and is denying that the syringes of illegal narcotics doctors found in his rectum belong to him (all in one month)- is going to decide whether Trump or Biden will be president in 2021.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
looks like the drudge report is turning on trump. many negative stories featured near the top. support from seniors seems to be cratering too which is a huge demographic for him.

i think its going to hinge on his insistence to re open the economy. if it goes well he could win. if it goes poorly and things are shut down again with many more deaths he will lose in a landslide.
I see a lot of folks from the right saying that if they reopen the economy, the people who want to continue to stay home can simply continue to do so without any consequences. I think a lot of seniors are aware of the fact that if a bunch of idiots start getting everyone sick by ignoring the CDC recommendations, it could negatively affect them.

Also:
I have no say in the US election, but, from what I can tell, whoever wins Florida will be 95% likely to win the entire election, because most of the other states in the US are already decided before the election, and the election result is decided by state majorities and not by each person's vote.

Only Florida, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and maybe North Carolina are undecided. A person might say that something major might happen to change the result, but it seems that several major things have happened already and it changed no one's mind anyway. The only way one candidate will win the election without winning in Florida is if every single other state that is undecided casts for the other candidate, including North Carolina.

So the same Florida man who is attacking a restaurant employee over not getting his drinking straw, fooling his family into thinking his murdered wife is alive for months, stealing the pickup truck of the good Samaritan who stopped to help him, and is denying that the syringes of illegal narcotics doctors found in his rectum belong to him (all in one month)- is going to decide whether Trump or Biden will be president in 2021.
Haha, yes, Florida Man is quite infamous. But, taking into account the previous post, along with the fact that Florida has a lot of senior citizens, this could end up being the tipping point.