US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

• Thread starter mongey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thats funny, you tool. I wasn't the one who brought up the topic of friends. But, when I retort, I'm the one who is the bad guy.

Nice try.
Oh and that makes me a tool? :lol:

I'm not sure what you're so angry and insecure about, but you feel the need to turn everything up to 11, buddy. Take a deep breath. :lol: Whatever it is, it's not worth it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Twenty bucks says that DrewH works at Lowe's, he's just been calling it "construction" and inflating the importance of his job.
I think the thing DrewH doesn't get, and I suspect I'm FAR from alone here, is that I honestly don't care.

Does DrewH make more than me? Hey, it's possible. Not especially likely, just based on income distributions in this country and where I live/what I and my wife do, but sure, he could make more than I do. If so, good on him. I'm making bank, don't really want for anything, live very comfortably, am well on track for a very comfortable retirement, and if someone makes more than I do, that doesn't exactly invalidate, somehow, the fact I do rather well for myself.

Does DrewH have more friends than I do? Again, it's possible. Maybe he's a lot more friendly in person than on the internet. Maybe we'd even get along off the internet, stranger things have happened and I've definitely met people I first met on the internet that I didn't expect to like, who I thought were a riot in person. Maybe we're just misreading his tone and he's absolutely hilarious. All I DO know, is I've got a really great circle of friends, and that as it stands I have a hard enough time spending as much time as I'd like with all of them so it's not like I'm really hurting for friends and desperately want more. I've got some awesome people in my life and I'm really happy about that, and if DrewH has, like, seven more than I do, that's not going to cause me any distress. I'm good.

Which makes this whole constant "I have more XXX than you" thing hard to understand. Like, again, I've got it good. Am I supposed to be jealous or upset here about the possibility someone somewhere might have a little more of something than I do?

I mean, why waste my time worrying about this shit?

You know what I bet he does have better than me? A car. Mine's an absolute piece of shit, I'm just too lazy to replace because I drive so rarely that I honestly don't care about it and just want to not have to think about it. 2005 Toyota Camry. Here, buddy, as a token of my goodwill, that one's all for you. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think the thing DrewH doesn't get, and I suspect I'm FAR from alone here, is that I honestly don't care.

Does DrewH make more than me? Hey, it's possible. Not especially likely, just based on income distributions in this country and where I live/what I and my wife do, but sure, he could make more than I do. If so, good on him. I'm making bank, don't really want for anything, live very comfortably, am well on track for a very comfortable retirement, and if someone makes more than I do, that doesn't exactly invalidate, somehow, the fact I do rather well for myself.

Does DrewH have more friends than I do? Again, it's possible. Maybe he's a lot more friendly in person than on the internet. Maybe we'd even get along off the internet, stranger things have happened and I've definitely met people I first met on the internet that I didn't expect to like, who I thought were a riot in person. Maybe we're just misreading his tone and he's absolutely hilarious. All I DO know, is I've got a really great circle of friends, and that as it stands I have a hard enough time spending as much time as I'd like with all of them so it's not like I'm really hurting for friends and desperately want more. I've got some awesome people in my life and I'm really happy about that, and if DrewH has, like, seven more than I do, that's not going to cause me any distress. I'm good.

Which makes this whole constant "I have more XXX than you" thing hard to understand. Like, again, I've got it good. Am I supposed to be jealous or upset here about the possibility someone somewhere might have a little more of something than I do?

I mean, why waste my time worrying about this shit?

You know what I bet he does have better than me? A car. Mine's an absolute piece of shit, I'm just too lazy to replace because I drive so rarely that I honestly don't care about it and just want to not have to think about it. 2005 Toyota Camry. Here, buddy, as a token of my goodwill, that one's all for you. :lol:
Same. There are things I would do a little different but I'm not hurting for anything.

Plus for someone like him that refers to people as sixty graders, the whole "more, more, more" argument is so damn childish.

Last edited:

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I've got a pretty crappy car myself that my friends have been begging me for years to replace. They just don't get why I would drive a cheap car when I make 2-3x what they do, but then they turn around and give me crap for buying expensive guitars. Like where do you think the guitar money comes from?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've got a pretty crappy car myself that my friends have been begging me for years to replace. They just don't get why I would drive a cheap car when I make 2-3x what they do, but then they turn around and give me crap for buying expensive guitars. Like where do you think the guitar money comes from?
I've always thought that one of the best ways to live comfortably is to figure out the things you really care about, and spend money on that, and then not really go overboard on anything else. It's funny because one of the "rules" of cycling is that your bike should always cost more than the car you drive it around on, and my cyclist friends tease me I'm sandbagging because I show up with an S-Works on top of a 19-year-old Camry. :lol:

I could easily buy something a lot nicer, cash, but why bother? Its not going to make me any happier, if for me a car is just a way to get from point A to point B.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We all agree. Drive a crappy car. Something most reputable finance guys recommend. The biggest waste of money is to upgrade your car every 3 years like some people do. My personal goal is 8 to 10 years because I do use it a lot and that is the point where the annoying repairs and breakdowns start to just make it not worth the hassle.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
We all agree. Drive a crappy car. Something most reputable finance guys recommend. The biggest waste of money is to upgrade your car every 3 years like some people do. My personal goal is 8 to 10 years because I do use it a lot and that is the point where the annoying repairs and breakdowns start to just make it not worth the hassle.
Hey, and you managed to say that without questioning whether I was "really" a financial analyst. :lol:

I'd never tell someone not to drive a new and expensive car if that was something that was, like, existentially important to them, but if you're just doing it because you think you're supposed to or because you want to be seen with some sort of status symbol car or whatever, there are other ways to light increasingly large sums of money on fire. Take, for instance, bikes! :rofl:

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bought my last one three years ago and as long as it holds up reasonably don't feel the need to replace. Dad would buy a vehicle, drive it till the wheels fell off, then out new wheels on it, figuratively speaking that is.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, and you managed to say that without questioning whether I was "really" a financial analyst. :lol:

I'd never tell someone not to drive a new and expensive car if that was something that was, like, existentially important to them, but if you're just doing it because you think you're supposed to or because you want to be seen with some sort of status symbol car or whatever, there are other ways to light increasingly large sums of money on fire. Take, for instance, bikes! :rofl:
Better bikes than fireworks. Love my uncle to death, but 400 dollars on fireworks yearly...

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe we'd even get along off the internet, stranger things have happened and I've definitely met people I first met on the internet that I didn't expect to like, who I thought were a riot in person.
Dude. We would certainly get along. Politics brings the worst out of people because it's a passionate topic. I'm a regular guy social butterfly type when not on the internet arguing with you all. While I do well for myself, you wouldn't know it. Modest car, modest house, etc.

TheBlackBard

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Want to apologize to DrewH for the comments I made about his grandfather. Take that how you want, I also apologize for not expressing my beliefs and stances in a civilized manner as it pertains to this thread.

Admitting I've been an asshole would be an understatement. :lol:

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I know you are. I just give you shit because, well, it's a politics thread.

Bikes suck. That's a worse hobby than guitars in terms of making one poor.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Want to apologize to DrewH for the comments I made about his grandfather. Take that how you want, I also apologize for not expressing my beliefs and stances in a civilized manner as it pertains to this thread.
Well thank you. Likewise apologies from me to you all. We should all strive to be more civilized.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I know you are. I just give you shit because, well, it's a politics thread.

Bikes suck. That's a worse hobby than guitars in terms of making one poor.
Them's fighting words. And maybe poor, or poor-ER, but extremely fit, and that's priceless. :flex:

Just throwing it out there, it's possible to talk politics constructively without trying to give the entire rest of the thread shit or score points or whatever. Honestly, more often than not it's even far more persuasive.