USB-C Interfaces using old USB

• Thread starter Defyantly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
So I have been out of the game for a while and my current interface just quit out on me. So I was looking at buying a newer one. From what I have seen all of the new USB interfaces that I have seen are using the new USB-c type connectors. So this might be a noob question but since I am using an older IMAC will I be able to use these new interfaces using a USB-c to USB cable and not have any issues?

Sogradde

Reaction score
AFAIK it won't work. Both, my Helix and my bandmates interface don't work on my non USB-C inputs.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It might be fine. "USB-C" is just the shape of the plug - it has nothing to do with what (technology/protocol/whatever it's called) is used with it. If you're using a an interface that uses USB-3, and your iMac has USB-3 support, then the -C to -A part shouldn't matter and it'll be fine. The trick is to look up what your computer supports and look up what the interface is using. My old PC from 2013 has USB-3 support, so you don't need the most modern PC to make use of -C plugs.

Example:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...tibility-with-USB-3-1-and-Thunderbolt-3-ports

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sogradde

Reaction score
It might be fine. "USB-C" is just the shape of the plug - it has nothing to do with what (technology/protocol/whatever it's called) is used with it. If you're using a an interface that uses USB-3, and your iMac has USB-3 support, then the -C to -A part shouldn't matter and it'll be fine. The trick is to look up what your computer supports and look up what the interface is using. My old PC from 2013 has USB-3 support, so you don't need the most modern PC to make use of -C plugs.

Example:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...tibility-with-USB-3-1-and-Thunderbolt-3-ports
Crap, I was thinking of USB 3.
Forget what I said then.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
I have a 2013 iMac. I believe it has the correct USBs as well as a thunderbolt 1 connector. (Im not at home right now so I cant check at the moment). I was also able to find the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2 usb interface which looks like it uses normal usb type connection. Any inside info on this interface? Its in the running for between a focusrite 2i2 3rd gen, the M-Audio Air 192/4, and a Behringer UMC204HD or 202HD.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Grab a used 2i4 and enjoy.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
one of the 2nd gens? or the 3rd?

I think either should be fine, but it wouldnt hurt to double check. I got mine around 2014? And it's been solid.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
AFAIK it won't work. Both, my Helix and my bandmates interface don't work on my non USB-C inputs.
Helix works just fine on USB 2.0 and up. I have mine connected with a USB-B to USB-C cable right now, but was using the standard USB A-B cable into 2.0 and 3.0 ports on various machines without an issue.

To the OP - it depends on the device less so than than the port. Lots of stuff is still operating on USB 2 or 3 protocol but using the C-type ports because they're a little sturdier.

Sogradde

Reaction score
Helix works just fine on USB 2.0 and up.
Are you sure? I wasn't able to connect my Helix to the PC using the 2.0 ports on the front. It only works when I'm directly plugged into the USB 3.0 ports on the mainboard.

ICSvortex

0-0-0-1
Reaction score
Are you sure? I wasn't able to connect my Helix to the PC using the 2.0 ports on the front. It only works when I'm directly plugged into the USB 3.0 ports on the mainboard.

i'd try all the ports and see what's working. I am 100% certain that the Helix works on USB2.0.
Some frontports on PC's are for charging only (so no data transfer), others have older USB boards on frontconnectors and that's all a factor.
I dont know how good you are with PC's but you can adjust some bios settings to make the most out of your USB ports.
I had a few problems with hooking my NI Komplete 6 Interface up to my PC until i changed the bios settings.
Other PC's need a powered USB hub to work with some audio gear.

But to answer OP's question, yes it will work as long as you have the right protocol. Meaning if your ports are blue (USB3.0) they will work, if the Interfaces you're looking at are USB3.0 aswell.
But i wouldnt know any company using USB-C for USB2.0 eventhough there are some which are backwards compatible.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
On most desktops those front panel ports are more or less a powered hub, which is a known issues with lots of audio hardware. L6 suggests plugging directly to the MOBO ports for all of their devices.

Latest posts