USB Vs Interface

• Thread starter MoJoToJo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoJoToJo

Reaction score
All you guru's of tone question for you, any difference between recording via usb out to computer/daw over recording via an audio interface when using a multi fx like a Line6 PodGo Stomp etc etc.
Don't see this talked about much online.
Appreciate any replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yes, you're probably better off going usb because at that point there's less a/d conversion. Going ot the analog in's of aninterface means another conversion step which equals less quality. Wether you can tell or not is dependant, but also try both because depending on wether the POD or the interface has a better converter one will probalby sound better than the other anyways. Either way the audio is being converted inside the POD or the interface, it's just a matter of where that happens and which is best for that setup.

Reaction score
You'll always be using the audio interface, right? what do you want to do with the recorded signal? Apply amp simulation with VSTs or use what comes out of you POD/Stomp?

Do note that the Stomp may be able to output the raw guitar signal through the USB port into the computer and work as an audio interface. Many recent MultiFX units do this already and some even have an SPDIF digital out that you can connect to you audio interface if it has SPDIF input. Make sure the sampling rates match...

MoJoToJo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies appreciated. I don't have a MultiFX unit at moment as have been using Neural plugin etc, but am thinking of buying a standalone fx unit so as I don't have to fire up laptop every time I want to practise etc. I used to have an el cheapo multi FX a GP-100 & I did used to usb that to my computer, it seemed to work ok with different cab sims. I don't think that Neural plugin can be beat though for a free way to record but like I say firing up computer get's a bit old. The rip off price's for Multi FX pedals ( any music gear for that matter) in Oz is the thing that put's me off. I should also add that I'm not looking for perfection in tone like a lot of you guys/girls.

Reaction score
10 years old MultiFX floor units can be found at relatively good prices and their quality is already fairly good. So, for practice, any Line6 HD something floor board is fine for what you're looking for. As for recording, I'd keep going direct to audio interface, since you can always experiment with the latest amp VST...

... and maybe you could also invest in some floor controller so your experience with the VSTs can be closer to using pedals...?

MoJoToJo

Reaction score
10 years old MultiFX floor units can be found at relatively good prices and their quality is already fairly good. So, for practice, any Line6 HD something floor board is fine for what you're looking for. As for recording, I'd keep going direct to audio interface, since you can always experiment with the latest amp VST...

... and maybe you could also invest in some floor controller so your experience with the VSTs can be closer to using pedals...?
Would you believe LIne6 HD500 still go for around the $400 mark in Australia used, they were only apprx $650 brand new back in the day! I owned one years ago & it near drove me mad, spent more time fiddling than playing guitar. Yeah that NAM plugin is def a good bit of gear for recording etc but I will probably buy a used PodGo or similar to save firing up laptop for practise with headphones/monitors. Cheers..

Latest posts