Used Carvin vs. JP70 w/BKP

• Thread starter talon97
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

talon97

the ninja from hell
Reaction score
I have narrowed my choice of a new 7 down to two guitars. I can get a Used Carvin DC747 with the stock passive pickups for $800 or a brand new JP70 and with the money I have left over I can get a BKP bridge PU right away. I am really stuck, trem doesn't matter since I will block it anyway. Both the necks were very cozy, the JP70 felt a little faster. Build quality was the only real difference between the two. The Carvin is a custom instrument, the JP70 is mass produced and did not feel as solid. I liked them both though. What does everyone else think? :idea:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
I have no experience with Carvins, but I do have a JP70 with a calibrated Black Hawk set in it and I can vouch for how awesome it is.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Carvin. Hands down. The JP70 can't compare to a real JP and the real JP is just as good as a Carvin. Quid pro quo, Carvin > JP70.

EDIT: This is from a guy who has multiple Carvins and an EBMM JP13 7 and has played the SBMM JPs.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Keep in mind that a bare DC727 starts at just around that price new; so if you can save a bit, just get your own custom carvin with your specs, should still be under $1000. Pickups can always be changed at a later date, quality cant.

vibrator

Reaction score
I own a DC727. I do agree that Carvins are under 1,000 new, but thats given base plain specs. If you want a flame/quilt top or tung oil or a different body wood (mine's koa and I <3 it), it gets expensive really fast. Secondly, I think that you'll find you like the Carvin stock pickups more than you thought. I almost immediately bought a set of BKPs but I couldn't be happier with my stock Carvin passives. Go Carvin man, you won't regret it. Better quality instrument and a better resale value. (And seriously bargain who it is down. Don't pay the full amount for anything.)

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
I own a DC727. I do agree that Carvins are under 1,000 new, but thats given base plain specs. If you want a flame/quilt top or tung oil or a different body wood (mine's koa and I <3 it), it gets expensive really fast. Secondly, I think that you'll find you like the Carvin stock pickups more than you thought. I almost immediately bought a set of BKPs but I couldn't be happier with my stock Carvin passives. Go Carvin man, you won't regret it. Better quality instrument and a better resale value. (And seriously bargain who it is down. Don't pay the full amount for anything.)

Agreed. Carvin's stock pups are decent (at least their passives are...). I don't think I like them more than the Illuminators on my JP13 7, but that's apples and oranges. They're still very, very good.

talon97

the ninja from hell
Reaction score
Thank you for the input everyone, I contacted Carvin with the serial #. They said it was a walnut body, with a 5 piece maple with walnut neck, ss frets, ebony fretboard. It is 2 years old and the original price was $1109. BTW Carvin responded to my email very quickly :yesway: So I have decided to order a custom Carvin. While I wait for it I got a Jackson JS32-7Q to hold me over. Thanks again for the ideas everyone.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Used Carvin every time! I got my TL60 this summer and am currently waiting for a baritone scale option for 7's so I can order another :D

The build quality and feel will be significantly better, plus it'll sound decent with the stock pickups and even better when/if you get around to swapping out the pickups.

The swap will require a little more work than a direct swap like on most guitars, but it'll be worth it

Shredderboy1658

string abuser
Reaction score
keep in my also that a carvin is an american made instrument as compared to the jp70 which is made in indonesia, the carvin will maintain its value much better

SnowfaLL

Reaction score

Something to keep in mind is that different pickups sound better or worse from many factors; such as wood and fretboard material. Players also like different tones. I just got an amazing Carvin DC727 a few months ago with BKP Painkillers, you'd think that is the perfect setup right?? Wrong, I rather have the stock pickups back, just doesnt fit this guitar at all IMO. But Im a much different player than the previous owner, so maybe this fit him perfectly.

So its difficult to just read reviews online why "carvin pickups suck, replace asap with BKP's" - best to try it out first then replace if you really dont like them.