Useless pick topic.

• Thread starter glytch5
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
So, I have gone pick psycho lately.
Ever since I first picked up a guitar, and to this day I have always really loved one particular pick... the Fender Heavy white celluloid...

So I like the pick right? Great? so what? Problem is... that material shreds so quick! Give me about 20 minutes with those things and they are flat. In the included photo is 8 Fender heavys, on the left are 4 lightly used, and the right brand new...
I could literally toss these out after an hour of use... they are cheap which makes me think I should just buy 100 of them and toss em out all the time, but it seems like a waste.
Anyone know of something better, with the same feel?
I tried ultex "too slippery" Tortex "not slippery enough" big stubbys "just don't do it" and nylons "just not quite right"

Any good suggestions? Starting to go broke from buying picks here lol. 20190310_225357.jpg

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
if durability is the issue, go with a pick made of uhmpwe like a winspear bloodline or bhl. they're ridiculously tough.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
I have never heard of those ones... do they flex at all though? I think the way the celluloid flexes is part of what I like about it. The thickness on these are about .95

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I have never heard of those ones... do they flex at all though? I think the way the celluloid flexes is part of what I like about it. The thickness on these are about .95
oh if you want flex, then stay away from uhmpwe. It's quite stiff.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my tortex jazz iii 1.00mm picks. Fuckin love them but, go through them like candy. Have yet to find a good replacement although i haven't really searched that hard

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
wow you are going through tortex jazz iii fast? You must play even harder than me! I have one of those picks sitting here... I really enjoy but the fender still works a ton better. You can literally strum and watch filings of the celluloid fall all over ur pickups lol.
I did try a jazz iii I liked. The Ultex black 2.o jazz iii is pretty good... it has a lightly contoured body so it doesn't feel like a 2mm.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
The dunlop black fangs are black ultex that has just a slightly different feel from the regular ultex. Might be worth a try.

Catalyst Collide

Reaction score
Not sure about flex as I prefer thicker picks, but the dunlop flow picks are great. Not sure about how quickly they will wear - mine seem to do OK, but I use a 1.5mm.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
I've been using the dunlop max-grip's for years. They hold up decently well, have a decent flex too. I use the 88s.

Also, i always just grab the 72 count bag from string and beyond, think its like 17 or 18 bucks.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
wow you are going through tortex jazz iii fast? You must play even harder than me! I have one of those picks sitting here... I really enjoy but the fender still works a ton better. You can literally strum and watch filings of the celluloid fall all over ur pickups lol.
I did try a jazz iii I liked. The Ultex black 2.o jazz iii is pretty good... it has a lightly contoured body so it doesn't feel like a 2mm.

I go through them quickly as well playing rhythm guitar with a lot of heavy, intricate palm mutes on the low end of my guitar.

Side note, but that makes me think of John Petrucci's "well worn" signature picks that had the bevel tip shaved down at the factory that Dunlop released as a signature pick :lol:

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I stopped using fender heavies for the same reason, and switched to nylon jazz iii xls. The nylon feels pretty close to me.

You said you didn't like it though, so.... I dont know what to suggest.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I go through them quickly as well playing rhythm guitar with a lot of heavy, intricate palm mutes on the low end of my guitar.

Side note, but that makes me think of John Petrucci's "well worn" signature picks that had the bevel tip shaved down at the factory that Dunlop released as a signature pick :lol:

Same way i wear mine down. Heavy metal rhythm picking/chugging.

And laughed when i saw the “worn edge” on the JP picks too :lol: that’s when i throw them away!

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my orange tortex 0.6...I buy bags of 100 and it lasts one session (2hours max). Not good for the planet.:squint:

Gmork

Reaction score
I like turtles........er ..... I mean....... I like purple tortex 1.14 but instead of using the long pointy corner i use one of the rounded "corners". Not sure why i started doing that but ive done it for years and cant play any other way

glytch5

Necron Overlord
Reaction score
I "like" the Jazz iii red picks... I like the jazz iii black ultex 2.0s that are rounded even better.... but something about these Fender heavys in celluloid man... just can't seem to beat em. They really sound nice too. I today bought a pack of Dunlop .88s in max grip standard shape nylons... I was hoping it would be close, but the fenders are about .95mm and feel a ton better. I may just have to settle on these black ultex 2.0 jazz iiis. I like Jazz picks but... the way I hold my pick, a full sized really helps me anchor down on it when speed picking.

PS: RIP Jim Dunlop!

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
I "like" the Jazz iii red picks... I like the jazz iii black ultex 2.0s that are rounded even better.... but something about these Fender heavys in celluloid man... just can't seem to beat em. They really sound nice too. I today bought a pack of Dunlop .88s in max grip standard shape nylons... I was hoping it would be close, but the fenders are about .95mm and feel a ton better. I may just have to settle on these black ultex 2.0 jazz iiis. I like Jazz picks but... the way I hold my pick, a full sized really helps me anchor down on it when speed picking.

PS: RIP Jim Dunlop!
Try the jazz iii xl in red sometime. Slightly smaller than a fender heavy but a lot easier to hold than a regular jazz 3

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my orange tortex 0.6...I buy bags of 100 and it lasts one session (2hours max). Not good for the planet.:squint:

Maybe buy the triangle shaped ones, flip it to the next edge after the one is worn? Three times the playing for one pick. Of course many prefer the classic design and feel uncomfortable.
I play all sizes and shapes myself, depending on the song. I try to keep a big collection, it is fun to switch between brands and sizes.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Delrin = no no? bought a 12 pack of 1.5mms bc they popped up when I searched for purple tortex's