Using Pod HD Pro X for just effects

Killadelphia

Reaction score
Hey everyone, This question probably has been asked before but i cant find it anywhere. I have trouble understanding where to put certain cables and stuff like that with a signal chain. I usually run my Pod HD Pro into my peavey 6505+ head using the 4 cable method and it bypasses my head completely as if it were a power amp. This way I use all the pods amp models and effects and such. Now I want to see how it will sound if i used my 6505 head's pre amp and only used my pod for effects such as noise gates, the screamer, delay and compression. I've tried looking up where to route the cables but it always ends up where the post gain knob doesnt make a difference when i turn it up. I can hear the signal come through but none of the volume knobs work. So what is the correct cable routes so that i can run my pod as an effects loop and use my 6505 as the pre amp. Would i be able to switch between that and using just the amp models for other patches? Please help! :wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I'll just give you a basic signal flow; however, there's two things to remember

-You need to have an effects loop in the chain of the POD
-The overall volume of your rig is now controlled by the "master" knob on the POD

So, that being said, here's how you'd go:

Guitar->POD Instrument in->POD Effects Loop Send->6505 instrument in->6505 Effects loop send->POD Effects loop Return->POD out->6505 effects loop return

Killadelphia

Reaction score
The unbalanced out is the POD out? And even the pods master volume doesn't effect the volume! Maybe I'm wiring it wrong, on the pods effects loop it says left/mono, and right, for the send and return..the unbalanced output and effects loop has a line-amp switch. What do I set those to??

myampslouder

Reaction score
Set it up like this

Guitar into pod input

Pod fx loop send to guitar amp input.

Guitar amp fx out to pod fx loop return.

Pod unbalanced out to guitar fx loop return

Ok now for the settings

To use the guitar amp's preamp you will need to create a blank patch with no amp or cab sims. Put an FX loop block in the blank patch. Your guitar amp preamp should now be passing through the pod. You will need to do more research to understand how to set the levels correctly.