Using single string lock nuts made for headless, with headstock guitars?

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question:

As someone who is generally a bit annoyed by how narrow 7 string locking nuts are from Floyd/Kahler/GOTOH etc, barring the Takeuchi made 7 string nut only Warmoth seems to sell, I was wondering, is it possible to take single string locking nuts designed for headless that companies like ABM sell (here is an example), is there any reason why they couldn't be used to mimic a locking nut with custom string spacing for any guitar with a headstock and a Floyd Rose or similar bridge?

I know technically the reverse of using a floyd rose locking nut on a headless guitar would technically work if you could hold each string held down by the block taut as you locked each block, as I learned this tightening a block too tight and the string behind the nut broke but the guitar was fine as long as I didn't unlock the block.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
However, if you use headless string locks behind a zero fret 'nut', you might then create a small length of string beyond the 'nut', which would create a little tuning instability. The whole point of a double locking system is that it eliminates the string lengths beyond nut and saddle.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
However, if you use headless string locks behind a zero fret 'nut', you might then create a small length of string beyond the 'nut', which would create a little tuning instability. The whole point of a double locking system is that it eliminates the string lengths beyond nut and saddle.

Probably not in reality.

The locking nut eliminates the friction binding that normally causes tuning issues. A string sitting on a smooth zero fret isn't going to be prone to friction binding like a nut would. The string run between the string lock and zero fret is also going to be very short, which will minimize the amount of flex possible.

It sounds like @jco5055 wants to create a setup as similar to a locking nut as possible.