Variable Interstice Pickup Prototype

• Thread starter KhzDonut
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
So for the last few months I've been working on prototypes for a Neodymium-based pickup. The prototypes so far have all been for 7-string, and I tune to F# (or thereabouts) so it's very much designed with the intention of catering to extended range instruments.

The idea came about while looking at some of the "Humbucker In A Single Coil" designs, like Duncan Hot Rails and the like. I wanted a pickup with a narrow coil spacing on the bass side, for tighter response, and wider coil spacing on the treble side, for a more natural, PAF sound.

Like this:

prototype_002_by_khzdonut-dci6e9m.jpg

Here's a video of Prototype 002 in action:

It's crazy high-output, so I didn't bother doing a clean playthrough because the cleans just didn't sound that great. The pickup almost clipped the input of my Helix.

You can see some of the process of the earlier iterations in the build thread I did over at MEF:
http://music-electronics-forum.com/showthread.php?t=46678

But with the latest prototypes I've been taking video of the process and just managed to get the music put together for the first video.

The music uses the pickup (Prototype 005) itself, but I'm hoping to have a new prototype made with better specs. This one was also too high-output and sounded a bit muddy, and I wasn't able to do certain things I wanted with it due to some space constraints on the tester guitar. I was testing backplate materials and didn't account for how much extra output it can add, and I couldn't move it further from the strings, so 005 is actually even higher output than 002.

Here's prototyping 005 from the ground up, Part One:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I like... the idea of tinkering with these things and to look for different solutions. Personally I'm moving away from High Output pickups.

I find it cool you can build your own pickups, I wish I could. The concept itself of the pole multi spacing looks interesting, but I'm not sure it is that different in overall tone from the more conventional humbuckers. The very high output doesn't help either, IMO, of course.

Never the less, I dig what you're doing and can only say to keep doing it and keep posting your results!

Mehnike

SS.org Peruser
Reaction score
I like the 5 string guitar! And always love seeing creative ideas actually executed. It'd be interesting to hear a identical spec'd pickup with traditional coil spacing vs your variable interstice, to truly compare the difference in sound.