VHT Pitbull Classic 2x12 100w (CLX) SoCal

• Thread starter m3ta1head
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
For sale is a 1993 Pittbull Classic with 6band EQ. This is easily the most versatile amp I've ever played. 3 channels-spanky, bright cleans on the 1st, 80s crunch on the 2nd, and complete annihilation on the 3rd. This amp has more gain on tap on the 3rd channel than the newer CLX, and the best part is that it's ALL usable! The amp retains perfectly clarity and stays very quiet with the gain dimed at the hottest settings on channel 3 WITH an overdrive :eek: I currently have a clean tone dialed in that sounds like a sparkly JC120. The clean channel is also capable of richer, deeper cleans ala lonestar. I never spent much time on the crunch channel, but it will nail that vintage gibson/marshall tone PERFECTLY. The lead channel is absolute insanity...once again, huge amounts of gain and it all stays extremely tight, especially as you pump the volume up. The nice thing about the Classic/CLX is that they use EL34 powertubes instead of the KT88s that the UL uses. The result is still a tight sound, but there is a little more powertube saturation. This amp is still pretty tight and dry (and it sounds amazing at low volumes, especially in 50w mode.), but it sounds better and better as you pump the volume. Something about the way these tubes saturate...it's gorgeous! I've only spent about 2 months with this amp and have not even started to tap it's potential...it is ridiculously versatile.

The amp is 50/100w switchable and currently has mint EH EL34s as well as Rubys in the preamp section. The amp also has 2 Pittbull G-100E speakers. Manual as well as tube info can be found here:

http://www.vhtusers.com/G100UL-CLX functions.pdf
http://www.vhtusers.com/documents/CLASSIC COMBO.pdf

The Pitbull FC-2 footswitch will be included, and I will also throw in a set of casters for the buyer. Everything is in excellent condition-no tolex wear, no grille wear, it looks brand new and it's 17 years old! The footswitch has a few scuffs, but still lights up and functions perfectly.

This really is a rare, spectacular amp, and it pains me to let it go so shortly after acquiring it-unfortunately, due to a bad camber plate install on my car, my struts are busted and my tires are worn completely unevenly...I need to spend around $1200 for a brand new suspension and tires! :noplease:

I am located in Buena Park, California (90620). I prefer to be contacted via PM here, but you can also email me at m3ta1head.tgn@gmail.com.

$1250 LOCAL PICKUP ONLY. Price is not firm-offers are welcome. I will also entertain trades for other amps+cash. I will reasonably drive within the LA metro area to meet.

Please note that I will NOT accept paypal for this transaction, as the fees will take far too much of a chunk out of the payment. I am willing to compromise if the buyer will cover the paypal fees.

HPIM0648.jpg

HPIM0650.jpg

HPIM0651.jpg

HPIM0653.jpg

HPIM0654.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
What's with the stuff around the speakers? Do those act as dampeners or mufflers of some sort?

It's to protect it in shipping. I am thinking these are either pics when he first got the amp or pics while he was getting it ready for shipping.

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
It's to protect it in shipping. I am thinking these are either pics when he first got the amp or pics while he was getting it ready for shipping.

Precisely, these pics were taken right upon arrival (about 2 months ago).

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a heads up but that's a Pittbull CL (Classic) and not a CLX. The CLX is a fairly different breed than the CL model. You can tell by both the model plate (the CLX will say "Hundred/CLX") and the serial would end in CLX instead of just CL. :wavey: The CLX plate would look like the one on this head:

StreamImage.aspx

Still a kickass amp regardless, just figured I'd point out the CLX is a different amp than the Classic (Misha has a CLX combo that sounds phenomenal). :yesway:

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a heads up but that's a Pittbull CL (Classic) and not a CLX. The CLX is a fairly different breed than the CL model. You can tell by both the model plate (the CLX will say "Hundred/CLX") and the serial would end in CLX instead of just CL. :wavey: The CLX plate would look like the one on this head:

StreamImage.aspx

Still a kickass amp regardless, just figured I'd point out the CLX is a different amp than the Classic (Misha has a CLX combo that sounds phenomenal). :yesway:

The Classic and CLX are actually the same model-the name was changed from Classic to CLX during the 90s due to a copyright issue with Peavey. The Classic is not exactly the same as the new CLXs (no gain stacking), but its still essentially the same amp, and they sound extremely similar. In my experience, the Classics actually have more gain on tap on channel 3 than the CLXs. The UL has more gain than both.

The CL is not related to the Classic...CL is 2 channel, Classic is 3.

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
Huge price drop-something unfortunate happened yesterday, and I need this gone by the weekend. Someone please take it off my hands. I will entertain offers involving domestic shipping, but I will not ship this amp overseas. Buyer will have to cover all shipping costs, as I am in no financial position to pay anything out of my pocket.