Victory Kraken. What to Love & what to Hate

• Thread starter BurningRome
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BurningRome

Reaction score
I don't know that the Peavey 5150/6505 smokes the Kraken honestly. The Kraken has an element of tonal quality the 6505 doesn't offer. I've already mentioned the downsides to the Kraken which is the immense amount of feedback squeal even on the lowest power settings, as mentioned though swapping out the V1 pre which is a 12AX7 for a low gain pre helps and leaves enough gain on tap.

What I personally am not liking about the kraken is that it has the thing going where it almost sounds like a constant clean boost is on, I understand both channels are gain channels but they're just edgier than I'd like, atleast to channel one.

As a person who loves what the kraken offers which is 50W with absolutely quality tone and gain on channel two I think there needs to be serious consideration to just investing channel 1 into a purely clean channel and investigating how to eliminate the channel 2 squeal with out having to tube swap, honestly the squeal is there after the tube swap but you have to be pretty high on gain to get it at that point.

For the price of these amps I think these are fair criticism and honestly no one wants a high end amp that has a channel, in this case channel 1 based off a JCM900...just being honest.

Not trying to complain even though it sounds like I am, it's something I hope gets attention because I am interested in the victory line now, I want to see other offerings in the small packaging that hover in the 50W range as they grow as a company.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Love my Kraken!! One of my favorite amps I’ve ever owned. Definitely has a noise issue though. Which is a shame but not bad enough to get rid of it.

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Here is my demo of Kraken:

This amp is very powerful and sounds very 'modern': lots of usable mids and gain. Only problem I have with this amp, is that when you turn the master knob above 12 o clock, the mids are starting to be popping out in a slightly annoying way. Thats not the big issue because after crossing 12 o'clock barrier, amp doesn't get much louder. But all in all I'm very happy with it. My favourite feature of this little beast is its weight. It is very light and easy to carry around. Two master knobs are also very useful.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Here is my demo of Kraken:

This amp is very powerful and sounds very 'modern': lots of usable mids and gain. Only problem I have with this amp, is that when you turn the master knob above 12 o clock, the mids are starting to be popping out in a slightly annoying way. Thats not the big issue because after crossing 12 o'clock barrier, amp doesn't get much louder. But all in all I'm very happy with it. My favourite feature of this little beast is its weight. It is very light and easy to carry around. Two master knobs are also very useful.

You did more justice than the actual player the amp was named for,

BurningRome

Reaction score
Just sold mine, I loved a lot about it but it just gave me ear fatigue like no other amp I ever owned. There is so much brightness in the amp, I always had my mid and lows next to none.

If they revise this amp by eliminating the tremendous gain noise, give it a true clean channel by doing away with the Marshall-esqe channel 1 and just clean up the brightness I'd reconsider this amp again.

chopeth

Reaction score
I was almost sold for the kraken, if it had a clean channel I would have got one instead of my 5153 50w. I never looked back, I'm so happy. Also, I'm more in for 6l6.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I heard the power section isn't involved enough. The preamp is on point but the power section is cold, perhaps? I would try checking and turning up the bias on the amp before giving up on it. I get the thing about ear fatigue. As much as I loved my EVH 50w, the presence from it wore on me. I far more enjoyed my cheap Peavey Ultra 120 more live. I go back and forth between that and my rm100.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Victory amps released an official Kraken Kemper profile pack today, and it's pretty killer!