Video of DAW sessions. HOW To?

• Thread starter TonyFlyingSquirrel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I have Pro Tools, and in collaborating with someone on another DAW, I am trying to "Screen Record" from my Pro Tools session, with my interface audio as the output source.
In doing so, I capture all that I want to visually from the edit/arrange window, but when I play back to video file, the audio sounds like ricotta cheese in a plastic bag under a pillow. Consequently, when I bounce a .mp3 of the audio only, it sounds just fine.
I'm wondering how to accomplish both.

I'm collaborating with someone who only has Garage Band, so ideally, I know that they can import the .mp3 into Garage Band, but not sure about the Video.
I have multiple "markers/memory locations" for reference about arrangement parts, ie; verse, chorus, etc, along with instrumental parts (places where no vocals should be) so him having the visual will be useful ultimately.

Any tips. Admittedly, photo and video are not my thing, so this is new territory for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Just for clearing doubts, you're not live streaming with your someone, right?

What software are you using to screen record your session? What definitions does it have regarding sound input options?

Maybe it's time to venture a bit into video editing software like ADOBE PREMIER...?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
No live streaming, just getting audio to a collaborator for them to work on in their own time.
The Video of the actual Pro Tools session is for there visual reference of where all the markers are to point to song sections of the arrangement.

If I can just send one video file, with good audio quality, that will serve the purpose.

I DAW with Pro Tools, and I only have Quick Time as far as video capability is concerned.

Reaction score
... and how are you capturing the screen video image? with ProTools?

As a video mixer, QuickTime isn't that much of a thing. There are many free Video Editing Software available in the net, maybe try one of those...? I can't recommend any besides Adobe Premier, which is what I use when in need...

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
QuickTime is how I am “Screen Recording” the Pro Tools session.
Quick Time gives me the options of:
Internal Microphone, which sounds like a wet pillow.
Pro Tools Aggregate I/O, which also sounds like a wet pillow.
Audio Interface, which just comes out silent
None, self explanatory.

Reaction score
ok, I didn't know QuickTime could do screen recording, good to know.

Selecting audio interface as sound source, aren't there no more options like output channel selection? Can you then use the audio interface driver to manage and test output channels that are getting signal from the DAW? I'd do a test video where I'd be swapping out options in a controlled sequence on the audio interface driver while playing something in the ProTools and then check what worked playing back the video. You could do visual hints in the video so you could know when you're changing the driver's settings...?

Other than that, there are probably lots of screen recorders that have more sound source options and control and freeware or trial-ware of some sort that you could try out?

In the long run, you could always mix audio and video with video editing freeware, but it's more time consuming than having it done altogether from the start.

I have no direct experience in doing screen+audio recordings, but do have some mixing audio and video, hence my suggestions and questions.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
ok, I didn't know QuickTime could do screen recording, good to know.

Selecting audio interface as sound source, aren't there no more options like output channel selection? Can you then use the audio interface driver to manage and test output channels that are getting signal from the DAW? I'd do a test video where I'd be swapping out options in a controlled sequence on the audio interface driver while playing something in the ProTools and then check what worked playing back the video. You could do visual hints in the video so you could know when you're changing the driver's settings...?

Other than that, there are probably lots of screen recorders that have more sound source options and control and freeware or trial-ware of some sort that you could try out?

In the long run, you could always mix audio and video with video editing freeware, but it's more time consuming than having it done altogether from the start.

I have no direct experience in doing screen+audio recordings, but do have some mixing audio and video, hence my suggestions and questions.
Admittedly, video is not my thing, so all of this is unknown to me, looking for tangible instructions on how to use what I have, or a definitive “no, that won’t work, what you need is…”

Reaction score
I see 2 possible solutions for you:
1 - do test the QuickTIme + Audio Interface driver while the DAW is playing back something or find a functional screen recorder software for your needs
2 - learn the minimum of video software to mix audio from your DAW with QuickTime's video Image.

Can't ProTools import video so you can sync it with the audio and then export everything from there? Most full loaded DAWs already work with Video...?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Interestintg - never tried this but I've always wondered if there was a good way to do this too - capture the screen as a video, with live audio and narration. Sounds like it could work, though (with Reaper being my poison of choice) I'd probabyl want to load a seperate project tab with a single track, armed to record and with live monitoring enabled (or, if you can't have playback from a background tab, just have an extra track in your program).

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I see 2 possible solutions for you:
1 - do test the QuickTIme + Audio Interface driver while the DAW is playing back something or find a functional screen recorder software for your needs
2 - learn the minimum of video software to mix audio from your DAW with QuickTime's video Image.

Can't ProTools import video so you can sync it with the audio and then export everything from there? Most full loaded DAWs already work with Video...?
The whole point is that I'm trying to video record the Pro Tools session from Quick Time with the Audio Generated by Pro Tools.
Then, I'm sending the Quick Time Video to a friend to collaborate with, and he does not have a DAW, so he's going to use the video of the PT session to create lyrics, and melody, then once I approve it, we'll get him to my studio to track.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The whole point is that I'm trying to video record the Pro Tools session from Quick Time with the Audio Generated by Pro Tools.
Then, I'm sending the Quick Time Video to a friend to collaborate with, and he does not have a DAW, so he's going to use the video of the PT session to create lyrics, and melody, then once I approve it, we'll get him to my studio to track.
I figured you were doing a tutorial of sorts. Why video? Why not just send him a MP3?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
yeah, like a gong sound when the melody/singing should start, and a tamborine when it should stop...? Shit you could even do two versions, one with spoken word narrations and one to actually practice/write over. :lol:

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I use OBS Studio for on screen video recording. Never tried recording my DAW though but don't see why it won't. https://obsproject.com/
this is what i was going to recommend. you can assign it to record your screen or just a specific app, and can have it pull audio from any of your audio devices. pretty simple to setup, and free.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
this is what i was going to recommend. you can assign it to record your screen or just a specific app, and can have it pull audio from any of your audio devices. pretty simple to setup, and free.

Thanks for the link.
Apparently, since I'm on OS11 and this requires 13 or higher, won't work on my system.
Can't upgrade my OS without making my version of Pro Tools 12.5 obsolete.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.
Apparently, since I'm on OS11 and this requires 13 or higher, won't work on my system.
Can't upgrade my OS without making my version of Pro Tools 12.5 obsolete.
I actually didn't realize you're using Mac. I'm not really sure how that would work, OS version aside. My experience trying to stream/record audio outs from Macs is generally you have to work around the fact that Apple generally doesn't seem to want you to have access to them? My wife's experience trying to stream through Discord on her iMac is that the video stream will work perfectly, but audio won't - and that's apparently a Mac-specific thing.

That said, there has to be some workaround because there's tons of guys who record their mix sessions on mac, but I'm not sure what it is they do.