Vik Guitars Domineer FF9 - The NGD.

Maniacal

Reaction score
Mr Ethereal, any signs of a video? I am super horny to see that thing in action. I mean the guitar

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
:D The computer arrives tomorrow so ASAP after that!

I'm overwhelmed still by the tone of this guitar -it is so versatile and has a character which just fits into the mix on everything. There's not one song I've jammed along to where I've felt the need to adjust tone settings, just volume/gain. Such a lovely crunchy midrange.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Based off the pic of your left hand playing near the 24th fret, I am convinced fanned frets are the way to go on all guitars! Your hand position looks perfect up there!

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
It's been my main axe since it came and will stay that way :D Originally when I ordered it it was intended to be my only guitar but that's before I fell in love with the open tuning I've been using on the Ibby - so I'll still play that too.
I'm perfectly happy using this for everything standard though!

:idea:
you know, you could have another 9 string built with inverse
wood specs, specifically for the open tuning you've been using.
just saying.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
:idea:
you know, you could have another 9 string built with inverse
wood specs, specifically for the open tuning you've been using.
just saying.

:lol: It doesn't logically extend outside of 7 strings for me else I'd just use it on this and find gauges for a median tension+setup - so a custom 7 is definitely on my Want List :lol:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I'm afraid it's not much but I finally got round to tracking this riff today haha

Don't mind the mix eugh - gives a good idea of the tone though! This is just straight into a 6505 sim on green channel into Mesa+Uberkab impulses mic'd with SM57s - very little EQ at all.

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
If you lived in the US, the distance I'd drive to try that damn thing...

That sounded SICK by the way, that thing is clear as hell. That's unreal.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm afraid it's not much but I finally got round to tracking this riff today haha

:hbang::metal::eddie:

That sounds fantastic!

I love that you can tune that low without the dreaded pitch wobbling typical of shorter scale guitars tuned in that range.

Now you need to show us the tone on the higher strings :)

Edit: out of curiosity, what's that white thing on your thumb? Are you using a thumb-pick?

Last edited:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yes man it's absolutely sick experiencing a low string performing exactly the same as normal strings tonally and feel-wise. I find myself using it so much more on this rather than an instrument where the low string is just some extra thick string that doesn't sound or feel very good.

Yeah I'm going to work on a lead clip today to show off the lovely neck pup :)

Yes it's a thumbpick - I play with them permanently for easy changing to 5 finger picking, index tapping etc.
The pick was originally a Fred Kelly Bumblebee which is a good attempt at feeling like a normal pick rather than a thumbpick
image-8017-0-1241022152000.jpg

However they wear down super fast and are expensive, so I have taken to just keeping the strap and supergluing Jazz III maxgrips on there:
91599109.png
96411492.png

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah I see - thanks for sharing that :)

I've been looking for something like that for years. I used to superglue a loop of elastic material onto my picks. I've also tried the JamKat pick holder which is a great concept but unfortunately for me the pick orientation is very different from what I use.

I've seen those Fred Kelly picks before and wondered about them - now I'll have to order one.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Try it :) The Bumblebee Jazz are very similar to Jazz III's. The adjustable sliding thing is nice - if you bring the pick all the way back it's quite ordinary, though a slightly different orientation, still. You might find it's still a bit long, also - that's why I cut the top off of the Dunlops too (you can see the flat edge).

Looking forward to trying the long long awaiting Broderick pick clip but to be honest I'm so used to this now there's not much point.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I remixed it - it's far far better this time round

Once again next to no EQ on the guitar so it's an accurate representation

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
thanks for the video clip man!!
i hate to sound like such an ingrate,
but it was short. so i checked out your
play-through of 'on impulse', which
was pretty good actually.

i hope your musical aspirations pick up,
so i can see your FF9 in person if and
when you tour the states. :cool:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
It is short and I'm sorry for not having something more for a first clip! But I've been very busy since I got it and am a slow worker, haha. Thanks man - I need to relearn that song. Haven't played it since the cover!
I really wish all you guys could try this guitar haha