Virtual bass plugins that go down loooooow but aren't modern/djent

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So instead of buying a bass, I'm just gonna find a plugin. :lol:

Basically I love old-school J bass and P/J tones, but I'd like to find a VSTi bass that can nail those sounds while also being able to go down to at least G. I'm not too hot on the zingy, twangy sound of humbuckers and Dingwalls, as well as walls of distortion. I actually like a slightly darker, rounder bass sound, clean or just broken up and tons of compression. Not a lot of top end sizzle but a huge midrange push ~1.5k - 2k. Think Geddy Lee, Eddie Jackson, Chris Squire, Billy Gould, Mike Dirnt, etc.

Closest things I found were Modo Bass and EZ bass, but they go down to A. I guess I could get those and drop the pitch down a step or two with another plugin, but I was wondering if there's anyone thats done a J or P/J VSTi that goes down low.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do any of the djenty bois have options to make them sound not djenty?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Do any of the djenty bois have options to make them sound not djenty?
The Submission Audio plugins have Clean and DI options, but they're all done with humbucker and Dingwall basses with what sounds like the Treble knob cranked to max, so... yeah. :lol: My bread and butter is J bass and P/J basses.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have an axefx iii or is my brain mush after work today?

jvms

Reaction score
Not sure companies would sample basses with the EQ on. Sounds like a bad idea. I think the agression comes from super hard picking during sampling. Turn down the highs and high mids or compress them. Maybe a multiband transient designer can help. Experiment before and after the amp sim or reamp. I don't think it will be very difficult to get a useable non djenty tone out of them.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I tried to pitch shift a virtual 4 string bass from D to C and it sounded awful. All clarity and attack was muffled.

The A in EZbass modern doesn’t sound good already so pitching that to G would sound awful. For clarity below C you want a twangy bass so the notes pop out, EZbass does have an EQ for the DI so you can roll back the bass or treble.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Loki and Submission go low but I think Grovebass may be the only that comes closer to the sound you are after. Still not those pickup types though

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Try one of the clean DI's you have with the velocities below 70 and a high-shelf pulling down a few dB around 5k.

vertibration

Reaction score

I bought this a while ago, it gets low, sounds fantastic, real, and not artificial. Highly recommended.

Phobos//Deimos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you use Logic I can kick you a vsti of a bass rompler I snagged for free about a year ago. The original one is gone now (which sucks) but it’s a no frills multi sample of like E0 all the way up and it some Ibanez 5 string that sounds pretty beefy. Just let me know.

nightlight

Reaction score
Dude, trust me, get a bass. You'll have more fun with it. You can then run it into something like a Tech 21 Sansamp model for that Geddy Lee-like tone.