VOLA - Melodic, Progressive, Avant-Garde Metal

• Thread starter SeditiousDissent
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
The new one is pretty weird, still VOLA but some definite production choices made on that one, be interesting to hear it live, as well as the rest of the album.

I see what people mean when they say there is a nu metal revival going on.

Nu metal pops up in everything now, there are specific revival bands but todays bands grew up so much on early slipknot record, linkin park that I think it's almost ingrained in some people and bound to show up. Take the new Monuments song, I think the chorus is very Linkin Park. It's just the times and who todays musicians were influenced by.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7soundz

Reaction score
I am actually quite shocked that this band isn't much more popular. I'd say that this is the best modern prog metal I've heard in a very long time. They need way more exposure. Perhaps a better label.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
what's nu metal about this? it literally sounds like Dredg with djent riffs.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
There's a video of this live at UK tech metal festival and it didn't sit well in a live setting. I guess those spoke vocals in the verse are a lot harder to pull off in a live setting.

SD83

Reaction score
what's nu metal about this? it literally sounds like Dredg with djent riffs.
For the last record, I'd definitly agree with that. If Dredg & Meshuggah had a child, it might be Vola. If this song is anything to go by, the new record might be a good deal heavier. I do get the nu metal with this one though, my first association with the spoken vocals was Clawfinger (although I think that is technically crossover?).
Anyway, I like the new song a lot. Had high expectations, and so far I think they exceeded them. And they are finally touring, which I'm looking forward to a lot. Saw them once in a tiny club in Hamburg in 2015 and they were amazing.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
yeah I guess the spoken word vocals are a bit nu metal-ish. Song is pretty average overall, I don't think it would even make the cut on In Mazes.

Hope the rest of the album is more inspiring.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Definitely selfish for me to just want them to make inmazes part two, but neither of these songs are blowing me away so far. Inmazes will always be there and Ill always love it.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I don't get Tears for Fears at all from this, but it super reminds me of when Textures released Reaching Home before Dualism came out. That's not a good thing...

FWIW I enjoy the vocals on Ghosts, but everything else seems very out of place. Even on a song like Emily, though it was a softer tune it worked as cohesive unit. This sounds very much like it's supposed to be the last track on the album, not the second song. The guitars and keys just sound so out of place, almost a pseudo-dancy coldplay thing.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
ok, the album is really freaking good.

All of the singles sound better in the context of the album.

I definitely like the less-heavy songs most, and am really glad that they are keeping the djenty riffs to a minimum this time around.

Really great songwriting on this one and I think that they really have a truly unique sound going for them. Sometimes they definitely sound like a metal version of Mew, which is awesome. Sometimes they sound like a proggier, more keyboard-driven Katatonia.

Look forward to listening to this album a lot in the coming months.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I picked it up this morning so that I could listen to it at work. I liked it a lot more than I thought I was going to, and it doesn't really seem like that much of a departure from Inmazes or Monsters, at least not as big of one as they had made it out to be. My only gripe while listening to it was that it seemed pretty short, but looking at it now and seeing that it's ~42 minutes isn't bad at all. We are Thin Air and Still are probably my favorites, but the singles which I wasn't super fond of originally definitely grew on me, and I agree that within the context of the album they work much better.

SD83

Reaction score
It just arrived. So far I'm through Side A, and... it's a lot less heavy than "Smartfriend" made me think it might be, but to be honest, I don't mind. Very diverse record, beautiful songs. I guess I will listen to this a lot! :D