Wah pedal recomendations

scorch15

AngelOfTheBeast
Reaction score
Alright I'm begining to expand my effects pedal collection and first on the list is my wah peddle, any recommendation.:metal:

I_infect

Reaction score
I have the dime crybaby... I like it because it's adjustable. However I really wanna try the ernie ball wah.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
I was told from somebody that decided to have a "wah shootout" so to speak in the studio that the Slash wah had the best tone of the dunlop line.

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
Buddah Wah. Or the Fulltone.

Both heavy price tags... BOTH worth them.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Alright I'm begining to expand my effects pedal collection and first on the list is my wah peddle, any recommendation.:metal:

This, like amps, is going to be a lot of personal preference. Myself, I like the Bad Horsie I because it's more subtle, quiet, and hots the line up for killer harmonics... others prefer more of a deep sweep, Crybaby or Vox. Also, keep in mind it is a Q based filter so it's going to react differently to different amps and EQ settings. The Bad Horsie, for instance loves 5150/6505's, Crybaby's mate nicely to Marshall's. You're going to have to try them.

I'd give the new Vox Big Bad Wah dual-mode unit a shot, they look pretty cool, IMHO. There are also a couple of very flexible wahs out there (the Ibanez and the Boss come to minds) though tonally, neither have had the subtlety or vibe that caught my ears.

Reddevil

Reaction score
I've been using a Cry Baby Wah for more than 10 years now and I'm still happy with it. Simple, reliable, robust and damn good sound - value for money.

Used it with the following amps:

Peavey XXX, Peavey 6505, Marshall TSL60 and Fender Vibroverb

maat

'stortion junkie
Reaction score
I would recommend either the Cowboys From Hell Wah or The Buddy Guy Wah...both with repaint jobs.

guitarjitsumaster

seven times seven
Reaction score
Im another vote for the bad horsie 2. Switchless activation without the pop and no worries about switching it off is really cool. Especially for me when I have to sing and play guitar, its another thing I dont have to worry about and the tone is pretty killer as well. Its more subtle than some wahs but it seems to sweep through the whole tonal spectrum while other wahs ive tried seem to sound their best either with lower notes and rythm playing or higher notes and lead. Even the adjustables seem to do this, the adjustables just seem to make them focus on one end of the spectrum or the other. Like I said the sweep on the horsie is not as exaggerated as on some other wahs though, which if your a fan of very deep and "vocal" wahs may be a turn off. I like it though because you can sweep over intricate lead lines without covering up what your doing.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
^
:agreed: Everything he said. And the II may be a bit more adjustable than the I, as it does have knobs. You'll probably need to try one with your setup and settings to see. For instance, I use Line 6 stuff so I can dial up a variety of tones, and on certain ones, the B.H. seems to barely be there, while others (like my main scooped-5150 sound that I use for rhythm and leads) it jumps out and sound heavenly.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I have yet to find a rig that the crybaby 95gcb (something like that) sounds bad through (well, that didn't sound bad to begin with). I also really like my black cat moan wah. It has a germanium diode preamp in front of the wah, and an adjustable bandpass (it has a subtle bell so it can sound almost wah-ish). It turn the gain all the way down, and put the tone at the point of top end of the sweep to offset the standard weak high up.

scorch15

AngelOfTheBeast
Reaction score
Alright thanks guys, especially ryan and dave, I'll take all your word on these pedals and spend a day at the music shop and try em all out, once again thanks everyone who contributed to help me

Latest posts