Warwick thumb?

• Thread starter gaunten
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gaunten

WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!
Reaction score
I've been looking for a new 5 stringer for our bassist on the bay, coz he's to lazy himself, he desperately wants a WW thumb bass, but the one our local store has costs like 2650$, and he thinks that's too expensive, now, I found this one on the bay:Warwick Thumb 5 BO bass w/EMG Pickups and Aguilar Pre - eBay (item 270240284338 end time May-31-08 12:15:49 PDT)

does anyone have some experience on these basses, is this a good deal,
are the EMG:s better than the original P:ups, does the neck material make as much difference as this guy says? we play metal BTW

Beta

Reaction score
I own one of these, though not with a wenge neck.

Current Thumbs use Ovangkol for the neck. Wenge and Ovangkol have similar tonal qualities, but the Wenge neck is usually described as being much thinner than the Ovangkol neck on a Thumb. For what it's worth, Thumbs, like the one you're asking about, formerly had Ovangkol bodies (mine has both neck and body made of Ovangkol), but they now use Bubinga, which is much heavier.

Some people say the signature Thumb "growl" is due to the stock MEC electronics. Some, however, believe that the stock electronics are the only thing to complain about on this bass. It's all in what the individual's ears prefer. The Aguilar is a good preamp though.

All in all, I'd say $999.99 is damn near a steal for a Wenge-necked Thumb with no major issues, and you'll be unlikely to find another for sale at that price for a while.

(Contrary to what the ad says, it is entirely possible to get lost in a mix with that bass. Anyone can EQ or volume you out.)

gaunten

WUUUUAAAAAAAAH!!!
Reaction score
ok, then all I have to do is talk him into buying it :D
I'd hate to see such a great deal go lost because he's lazy haha

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's a pretty great price for a bolt-on Thumb. Love those basses.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
I've only ever briefly played a Warwick 4-string, but it was enough to know that it's the only bass company that could steal me away from Fender for good.

I fucking love my Fender Jazz Bass V, it fits me perfectly, the only other basses I'd ever consider are EBMM (for the sound), Wal (again for the sound, though impossible to get), Spector (again, for the sound), or Warwick (for the sound, feel, look, everything), and Warwick's the only one that could replace my Fender as my #1 bass.

Beta

Reaction score
ok, then all I have to do is talk him into buying it :D
I'd hate to see such a great deal go lost because he's lazy haha

...and it's gone already.

I was wrong about them using Bubinga in newer bolt-ons. They still use Ovangkol; it's the NTs that have Bubinga bodies. They've got to weigh a ton.

Anyway, you can usually find used Thumbs for sale at low prices. A new Thumb 5 B.O. sells for $2700ish at Guitar Center, and the ones on Ebay usually aren't even half that, unless they have an all-Wenge neck.

There's one on the 'bay right now with a Maple neck and fretboard, and a 35" scale. The buy it now is only $1200- probably quite low considering the Maple neck is a custom shop option.