Washburn USA Custom Sonic 7 String

• Thread starter WayneCustom7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
The comment Drew quoted sounded like something Ed Roman would say. He's an opinionated jackass who basically spouts off comments like he knows everything about guitars, and everybody else has the wrong idea. Usually it comes down to "This brand is the best, this one sucks, if you buy it you're getting ripped off, because of (blah blah blah, stuff about the hardware/construction/materials/country of origin, blah blah blah) it won't sound as good or be worth the money you pay for it".
Oh thanks, I've heard of Ed, and I've also heard of most peoples thoughts on Ed, I guess I'm a little slow...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
haha, no worries. Ed's a well known hater of anything without a "deep tenion neck," whatever the fuck that means. :lol:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
haha, no worries. Ed's a well known hater of anything without a "deep tenion neck," whatever the fuck that means. :lol:

LMFAO :lol: No doubt.

That dude is Leprechaun, I tell you. "Where's me deep tenion neck?! ARRGH!"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
roman.jpg

bucket_ben_boo_ed2.jpg

bucket_bootsy_ed.jpg

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thread Resurrection:

I can't recommend these guitars enough, especially for those looking for something a little different in a 7 string. They play great, sound great, and usually go for cheap on evilBay. I've had mine for nearly two years now, and it's still just as awesome. If only I didn't have this Jackson thing that I play most of the time...

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Thread Resurrection:

I can't recommend these guitars enough, especially for those looking for something a little different in a 7 string. They play great, sound great, and usually go for cheap on evilBay. I've had mine for nearly two years now, and it's still just as awesome. If only I didn't have this Jackson thing that I play most of the time...
Here, here, I love the neck and they are as solid as a rock. Mine gets played most of the time (practise, writing, etc)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I had one of these as well. I liked it, but I felt the neck was way too uncomfortable compared to just about every other 7-string ive ever played - Ibanez, USA BC Rich, anything. It sure did sound and look great though. It came with a Duncan Distortion/59 instead of dual Invaders like my Sonic 6 has.

Here is a pic of mine:

sonic7v.jpg

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
I had one of these as well. I liked it, but I felt the neck was way too uncomfortable compared to just about every other 7-string ive ever played - Ibanez, USA BC Rich, anything. It sure did sound and look great though. It came with a Duncan Distortion/59 instead of dual Invaders like my Sonic 6 has.

That's hilarious. You sold that on eBay, right? I think that's the one I have...

I don't find the neck uncomfortable at all - it's hardly wizard-thin, but it fits my hand nicely...

Edit - I'm almost sure that's the one I have now, unless two have almost exactly the wear patterns on the bridge...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yes I sold it on eBay, it probably was to you. I've sold a lot of 7s on ebay. I'm happy you like it to be honest, I was worried when I sold it whoever I sold it to wouldn't like it.

My hands aren't that big, so, I mean I could shred all day on the thing, I just didn't like the neck profile as much as some of the other USA 7s I had.

That is really funny though, I'm real happy you love it.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Lemme see if I can find the feedback you left me for the guitar lol.

Positive feedback rating Item exactly as described, fast shipping, great packing job-would buy from again
Buyer eaeolian ( 78Feedback score is 50 to 99) May-14-04 18:14 3721465252

haha nice, it was you!

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Lemme see if I can find the feedback you left me for the guitar lol.

Positive feedback rating Item exactly as described, fast shipping, great packing job-would buy from again
Buyer eaeolian ( 78Feedback score is 50 to 99) May-14-04 18:14 3721465252

haha nice, it was you!

Yep. Small world - I remeber you packed the thing to survive a nuclear blast. :lol: I love the guitar - I haven't got the biggest hands, either, but the curve of the neck works well with my thumb position. I just changed the Distortion (too "gritty") for a Custom, and now it's my #2 7 string.

WayneCustom7

Paolo
Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
Yep. Small world - I remeber you packed the thing to survive a nuclear blast. :lol: I love the guitar - I haven't got the biggest hands, either, but the curve of the neck works well with my thumb position. I just changed the Distortion (too "gritty") for a Custom, and now it's my #2 7 string.
What kind of pups did you change them to?
Yeah I love mine also, I spend most of my time on it. I love the neck. I just need to get a set of Optimum strings for it so I can be on the same level as my JP...then I'll really love it. I wonder exactly how many of these were made...it seems that info on these is really hard to find. When I bought mine on Ebay the seller had quite a few Sonic 6 and 7's (plus a bunch of other Washburns)

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It had a Duncan Distortion and a '59 when I got it. The '59 is fine for a neck PU, but the Distortion was too "grainy" for me (I've never been much of a fan of that PU, personally), so I swapped it for a Duncan Custom, which I've had a lot of success with in mahogany guitars with maple necks and boards. The guitar sounds great now...

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I dont like the Duncan Distortion at all. The Invader works really well in the Sonic 6, the maple fretboard helps offset the huge thickness of the Invader. Eventually Sonic 7s started coming with Invaders as well, before they got discontinued.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Hahaha, that's awesome. :yesway:

As an aside, I absolutely love maple boards, both the sound and the look and the feel, and that thing is bizarrely attractive.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I prefer ebony, but maple is nice too. Especially birdseye/figured maple boards like those Washburns.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a nice piece of birdseye. The build quality on the guitar is great.

These used to show up all the time, and now they're pretty scarce on evilBay. Quality guitars all around.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got even smaller hands than Eaeolian, yet I find it extremely comfortable to play. It's all about the shape of the neck, I guess. That guitar is also an absolute cannon unplugged.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I don't know, it just wasn't for me. I'm glad I sold it to someone who appreciates it to its fullest though. I just got a Universe which is coming on Wed, hooray.