Weight Loss ideas ?

• Thread starter Kubs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
It's really really simple, eat less calories than you spend daily. It doesn’t matter if it's fat, or carbs or anything. Search the net for estimated calories value of each thing you'd like to eat, read the info on the the packages and try to stay below 2000cal. Aim for 1500. The fat will keep the hunger away longer than carbs. Follow it and don't cheat. First week is hell, second may still be difficult and after that it becomes easy.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Being an adult is hard. I am worried less about my weight but more about my blood pressure and overall health.

Keto diets, vegan raw diets, carnivore diets, and other diets can work, just pick one that you are comfortable with and stick to it. The importance of any diet is that you'll be paying attention to what you are putting into your body and hopefully cutting out some of the stuff that is known to be unhealthy.

For the exercise part of it, just start exercising. Any physical activity is better than none. I used to do quite a bit of weightlifting, but life changes make cardio more of my focus now. As soon as you get used to any level of exercise, you can start looking into honing your activities for specific goals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mpexus

Reaction score
Keto is unsustainable in long term due to the amount of fat you eat.

Exercise and a balanced diet is what is needed and very few people really have the notion of how many calories they are eating daily. Not to mention that CRAP Highly caloric food is much more available than "real food" so making huge bad eating habits is super common... just look around and all you see nowadays is people overweight.

1708895569488.png

Kubs

Mexicutioner
Reaction score
Ive read everyones posts , ill tell yall what plan i have come up with , and what im changing ! Will be also updating how its going :)
Keto is unsustainable in long term due to the amount of fat you eat.

Exercise and a balanced diet is what is needed and very few people really have the notion of how many calories they are eating daily. Not to mention that CRAP Highly caloric food is much more available than "real food" so making huge bad eating habits is super common... just look around and all you see nowadays is people overweight.

View attachment 139115

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The ads in this thread be wildin. Basically do what the ad says and make yourself a diet plan within 1500-1750 calorie range if you're at least moderately active. Or just do what I do - shove less food up your mouth, drink more water and try to move 10k steps a day minimum. I could never follow a plan because I eat whatever I currently have or crave for. Keeping a lot of food in the fridge is a real killer for me, cuz I will end up munching it all in a couple of days..
Screenshot 2024-02-26 105717.jpg

Kubs

Mexicutioner
Reaction score
Im lowering my Intake to 1500 Per day. Based off mostly on Veg, Fruits , Meat and low fat Diary products.
Ive dusted off my old basketball, now everyday will be a balling day hahahah.
Im currently on a Home calisthenic based plan that ive made for myself taking all your advices and plans you send me into mind.
Thankfully my 2nd semester lectures plan Doesent Look That bad as 1st semester one , so ill be able to squeeze in mroe activities.
Ive decided to keep away from candies , snacks and shit like that.
Will keep you updeted from time to time how its going, Alo feel free to keep the topic living, im always happy to read your advices - and probably im not the only guy !

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Dunno how relevant if you've already come up with a game plan but I'll throw in here, what's worked for me. I've lost roughly 30 lbs in the past year+.

Moving away from soda and other sugared drinks. I still drink that stuff but probably half as much as I used to. I hate water just due to it being so bland but I started drinking water... gradually more and more. And that seems to have been a game-changer. I'm fuller so not eating as much and I can tell that it hydrates not just internally but my skin as well. I've had [minor] issues with eczema over the years and increasing water consumption has seemingly all but eliminated that.

I also try not to eat as much when I'm sedentary. I'll still snack at night but I try to be conscious about it. My biggest issue here is that I'm not a breakfast person or even lunch, so it's hard for me to eat early and subsequently burn off or metabolize those fats, calories, carbs throughout the day. The bad-eating habits though ( eating without exercising) really hurts the weight loss goals.

Also over the course of the past year I've changed my snacking or in-between meals to exclude more chips, sweets, etc and instead added things like oranges, bananas, yogurt, eggs, beans/ legumes, etc. as those things are a bit less unhealthy in most aspects.

soliloquy

Reaction score
1) Portion control. If you dont do anything else other than portion control, you by default start losing weight. If for example, you were consuming 1 lbs worth of food per sitting, and knock it down to .8, or .7, you're already eating less. Stick with what you normally eat though. Dont over compensate by saying 'since you're eating less, you can compensate with some chicken nuggets or fried strips etc'

2) substitute one thing for another in your plate. If you're consuming a lot of carbs via breads/buns/rice/pasta, knock it in half (for starters) and then add leafy greens.

3) always opt out for lean protein! deep fried anything, or steaks are loaded with excess fats and calories that you can easily do without. Maybe go for a lean grilled chicken breast instead?

4) water! water! water! and more water! cut out all sodas/juices for water, and then drink more water around. IF you can, then start adding either ICED water, and/or Green Tea sans sugar multiple times a day to speed up your metabolism

5) IF you can, see if you can stop eating after 6pm? That means if you get hungry, just drink water or green tea, or soemthing else, but no food. Once you get the hang of this, and start getting hungry, limit your snack to a small portion of plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese (not the entire tub. Refer to point 1 of portion control. consume no more than a cup's worth)

6) if you're feeling adventurous, and know how to handle it (not recommended, its tough!) do carb cycle. day 1 - consume MINIMAL carbs. day 2 - ZERO CARBS other than those that come naturally from veggies. on Day 1, when i say 'minimal' i mean maybe quarter or less of your daily consumption to come from carbs.

7) should really be number one - consult a dietitian and/or a doctor

8) keep an eye on your physical signs. How's the belt feeling? the shirt? the weighing scale? your mood?

9) the points above are assuming you take zero exercise. Once you start working out, you may have to adjust this around as your body's requirements change.

10) weekly cheat meal! keyword being 'meal'. By mean, this doesn't refer to full pizza, or AYCE, or 3 course meal. Be reasonable and consume accordingly. Eat a burger, or cheese cake slice or whatever, but limit it to just that!!

The above are rough guidance which helped me shed 40 lbs in about 3 months time. I wasn't really trying to lose that much, but I was curios to see how far I can go. My goal was 10 lbs over 6 months, but after losing 10 lbs the first month into this, I just kept going. Set a goal, and keep aiming towards it. Make it a mission that EVERY action you take from the time you set your goal, is that action helping you towards that goal? IE, you want to lose 10lbs by X date - If you consume this beer now, will it help you to get to that weight goal? No? Skip it! You can drive a mile to your grocery store, or you can walk there. Will driving there help you get to that 10lbs goal? No? then skip it and walk. (I am guilty of tunnel visioning myself with this though, so be careful). consistency is key here. and hold yourself responsible at all times! Its not your friend, or your partner, or your manager etc. No, its you. you dont have to consume popcorn at the movies, or candies when you drive around. You dont have to consume excess amount needlessly. When you're bored, drink water or green tea.

g'luck! you got this!!

Kubs

Mexicutioner
Reaction score
1) Portion control. If you dont do anything else other than portion control, you by default start losing weight. If for example, you were consuming 1 lbs worth of food per sitting, and knock it down to .8, or .7, you're already eating less. Stick with what you normally eat though. Dont over compensate by saying 'since you're eating less, you can compensate with some chicken nuggets or fried strips etc'

2) substitute one thing for another in your plate. If you're consuming a lot of carbs via breads/buns/rice/pasta, knock it in half (for starters) and then add leafy greens.

3) always opt out for lean protein! deep fried anything, or steaks are loaded with excess fats and calories that you can easily do without. Maybe go for a lean grilled chicken breast instead?

4) water! water! water! and more water! cut out all sodas/juices for water, and then drink more water around. IF you can, then start adding either ICED water, and/or Green Tea sans sugar multiple times a day to speed up your metabolism

5) IF you can, see if you can stop eating after 6pm? That means if you get hungry, just drink water or green tea, or soemthing else, but no food. Once you get the hang of this, and start getting hungry, limit your snack to a small portion of plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese (not the entire tub. Refer to point 1 of portion control. consume no more than a cup's worth)

6) if you're feeling adventurous, and know how to handle it (not recommended, its tough!) do carb cycle. day 1 - consume MINIMAL carbs. day 2 - ZERO CARBS other than those that come naturally from veggies. on Day 1, when i say 'minimal' i mean maybe quarter or less of your daily consumption to come from carbs.

7) should really be number one - consult a dietitian and/or a doctor

8) keep an eye on your physical signs. How's the belt feeling? the shirt? the weighing scale? your mood?

9) the points above are assuming you take zero exercise. Once you start working out, you may have to adjust this around as your body's requirements change.

10) weekly cheat meal! keyword being 'meal'. By mean, this doesn't refer to full pizza, or AYCE, or 3 course meal. Be reasonable and consume accordingly. Eat a burger, or cheese cake slice or whatever, but limit it to just that!!

The above are rough guidance which helped me shed 40 lbs in about 3 months time. I wasn't really trying to lose that much, but I was curios to see how far I can go. My goal was 10 lbs over 6 months, but after losing 10 lbs the first month into this, I just kept going. Set a goal, and keep aiming towards it. Make it a mission that EVERY action you take from the time you set your goal, is that action helping you towards that goal? IE, you want to lose 10lbs by X date - If you consume this beer now, will it help you to get to that weight goal? No? Skip it! You can drive a mile to your grocery store, or you can walk there. Will driving there help you get to that 10lbs goal? No? then skip it and walk. (I am guilty of tunnel visioning myself with this though, so be careful). consistency is key here. and hold yourself responsible at all times! Its not your friend, or your partner, or your manager etc. No, its you. you dont have to consume popcorn at the movies, or candies when you drive around. You dont have to consume excess amount needlessly. When you're bored, drink water or green tea.

g'luck! you got this!!
Portion Control is for sure the thing i have to look after way more ! Thank you!

Reaction score
... eat your vegies and fruits! Let's get your gut health up to shape, shall we?

... also, something not spoken about, but organic whole food is also richer in nutrients and therefore more fulfilling, so one ends up eating less as well, but not losing nutrients.

soliloquy

Reaction score
another thing to note for the thing i wrote up above.
I never counted calories, but i did count chemicals. during that time, I was hyper vigilant in looking up what I'm consuming. the goal was to 'eat clean' literally. the fewer the preservatives and other non-food items, the better (for me).

Kubs

Mexicutioner
Reaction score
Its 2nd week , looks like im 6kg down , everyday walks , eating 1500kcal daily. Without sugar , without carbs
another thing to note for the thing i wrote up above.
I never counted calories, but i did count chemicals. during that time, I was hyper vigilant in looking up what I'm consuming. the goal was to 'eat clean' literally. the fewer the preservatives and other non-food items, the better (for me).

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
What worked for me a number of years ago was that I cut out most carbs - I ate oatmeal for breakfast every morning, at that was it, the rest of the meals were just meat and salad. Then I'd allow one or two meals per week to be whatever I felt like. I used to go to lunch with some friends every Friday and I wouldn't worry about eating pizza or whatever and even having a beer with it sometimes. Like someone here already said, it's the big picture that counts.
I managed to loose about 25kg of weight in less than half a year that way... But then I somehow stopped caring and it all came back with interest.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Its 2nd week , looks like im 6kg down , everyday walks , eating 1500kcal daily. Without sugar , without carbs
Good job!
2-3kg's in a week is pretty much what I had in the beginning of my weight loss - most of it is might just water weight though and the effect of cutting calories immediately, so having less food in the system.
Realistically you should start seeing 1kg per week loss soon, which is the "healthy" pace. Of course it all depends on how much extra weight one has and people are different anyways. If you're invested in this for 2 weeks already, then it should not be a problem to go for months at least. Just know that you'll have to face some difficulties in the near future, when you don't see the weight dropping as fast as it did before, it's all normal.

Don't forget to do a small cheat day every once in a while - don't be too strict on yourself or you'll have a hard time maintaining the weight in the near future and your mental health will also thank you for it. Once per month is totally fine, just be reasonable with it :)

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Eat well for your weight.

Exercise for your health.

Don't overdo any of those things. And don't stress yourself if you deviate from them sometimes.

mpexus

Reaction score
Eat well for your weight.

Exercise for your health.

Don't overdo any of those things. And don't stress yourself if you deviate from them sometimes.
Give yourself a "cheat meal" once a week. Will please the cravings and help ya in the long run.

Kubs

Mexicutioner
Reaction score
Its going somehow guys , but sadly - struggle is real , can feel it deep i miss the sugar and junk , my body got too addicted to shit over the years. But im not gonna let it all use me.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
can feel it deep i miss the sugar and junk
That feeling passes. It takes some time, and it sucks, but if you stick it out, you can get there.

I find it helps to find something to replace the habit - if I wanted junk food, I'd eat carrots instead. It's still some sugar, but much less dense. Or coffee and tea, just to satisfy the want to be consuming something.