What’s your current fav tuning?

• Thread starter bloodocean
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
D Standard. I think hearing Death for the first time when I was 19 permanently re-wired my brain, and I have 12- yes, TWELVE- guitars in D. I also have 4 more vintage-y spec'd guitars in standard, and a single guitar in Eb currently.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep it simple, D standard, followed by Drop C.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Open C was one that I was really enjoying the vibe of just for my own creative aspects. High gain with a EMG 85 it sounded really good especially when I rang out big chords.
Drop B was another one I had just started messing with before I had to sell the guitar a couple of weeks ago. Now I have no guitar to play. But when I am ready to purchase again it'll be a baritone or a 7 to play in Drop A# to Drop Ab.

Grumpyrocker

Reaction score
On my Gibson scale guitars E standard.
On my Fender scale guitars Eb, though my Schecter C6 Pro is currently D standard.
My multiscale 7 is B standard.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
It's always standard for me: E, or D.

E for the guitars I use in the band I play in (not metal).

D for the music I make and record on my own (metal or metal related).

I may tune to Eb standard if I want to play something from Slayer, Alice in Chains, etc. But having the Helix's pitch shifting stuff available has made that unnecessary.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I don't have a favourite tuning, but I do find that certain tunings are optimal for certain styles / genres. I use E, Eb, Drop D, D and B regularly. I'm starting to play around with C, C#, Drop C, Drop A etc.

If I could only pick one tuning to use ever again, it would probably be Eb standard, as I use this tuning quite a lot and could get away with adapting E standard / D standard material to it (two other tunings that I use a lot).

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Drop C again on a 6. I’ve never tuned to Eb/drop Db but I kind of want to try it.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
I've spent years playing in DADGAD, C#, C and Bb 7-string variants (Monuments fanboy), and now I'm just having fun with E standard on a different guitar. It's like a whole new planet.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
just revisited drop C on a 6 string and that's one of my favorite tunings of all time

my solo stuff is in drop F# though bc C# standard is a great tuning alone and adding the massive F# string to already heavy material is insane

Aliascent

Reaction score
My main tuning is D as it works for anything, any style, then C# for death metal stuff, with the occasional B (sludgier death metal, and jazz) now and then.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
Mostly Drop C
I really enjoy my 7 in drop D with an added drop (7) G
Also 7 in dropA, sometime standard B
Standard E works well for practicing and playing with general population
Drop C# is always awesome

and hoping to move any of these tunings down to 432 soon
Pretty much any tuning is inspiring in its own way. I've been in dropC for so long now it feels like home base, but I may need to go up to find a new band in this area

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
D standard on 6, Drop E on 8

For metal, pedestrian compared to many here but I LOVE half-step down with a dropped 6 to C# on 7 and 8; ie (F)-A#-C#-G#-C#-F#-A#-D#
Muscle memory transfers over from conventional tunings, easy to do dropped riffs but can also extend them out to more interesting chords more easily with the 7th, from which you can still build on your standard-fretted octave chords also. What would ordinarily be a tritone eg 1-2-3 on the bottom 3 strings becomes a Bmaj, what would ordinarily be a mushy inverted power chord on 7th string becomes a minor chord etc

Naxxpipe

Reaction score
D standard, with a little bit of C standard sprinkled in. Used to prefer the odd number semitone tunings (Eb, Db, etc) but a few years ago I tuned a guitar to D (to play some Death) and it just felt right, with the low D being the sweet spot of dark and bright for the chugs.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
ADADADD..... slight modification on Mark Tremonti's open D5 tuning (DADADD), combined with a low A