what amp would you recommend for me?

• Thread starter SloeGin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SloeGin

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting an amp for blues/Hendrix tones, hardrock and occasional jazz tones.
I live in an apartment so i'm volume restricted.
Currently I have a Yamaha THR10 but I want something bigger sounding.

Pedals I have are :
Friedman BE OD pedal
Keeley Monterey (for Hendrix effects)
Dunlop mini wah

What amp would sound good in combo with the BE OD pedal and also sounds good on lower volume?
Budget would be 1000-1500 euro max.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broangiel

Reaction score
I think a Fender Bassbreaker could be really interesting. Other ideas:
  • Laney IronHeart
  • Orange Rocker 32 or Tremlord
  • EVH 5150 III
  • Marshall JVM205

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Marshall Origin 20 all the way. They’re inexpensive and have a great chimey Hendrix clean sound, and nail a hard rock tone, especially with the BE for low volume jamming. I even have a 1987 50 watt Plexi and I use the Origin more :lol:

I actually just wrote a blues song and used my Origin 50:
https://soundclick.com/r/s8f6t1

And this is a punk song I made last year with it as well. Guitar strait into the amp:
https://soundclick.com/r/s8dqzk

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
Yes I have. They sound and behave just like a Plexi. The only complaint about the sv20 is that it’s way too loud. You can’t get the gain without turning the amp up. If you don’t mind only ever getting your gain from a pedal; then they’re awesome.

I actually went out originally buy an sv20 as a gift for my dad. His main amp has been an old 60’s AC30 and he always complained that it’s too loud to overdrive properly. I didn’t want to get him another amp he couldn’t fully use, so I was recommended to check out the Origin. It has a very similar tone to the SV20, but has 3 way selectable power, MV and pull boost to get overdriven tones at lower volume. I had initially dismissed it because it was so inexpensive; but I gave it a shot and was floored by how great it sounded.

I brought it home and played it for a few days before surprising my dad with it; and loved it so much I ordered a 50 for myself. The 50 probably has too much volume for most home players, unless you’re using a gain pedal. The 20 has a sweet spot at 1 watt mode: you can dime it and it sounds awesome, and you maybe can get away with 5 watt mode on a Saturday afternoon, which just fills in the low end beautifully. The 50 is pushing too loud on the lowest setting. The SV20 has a similar power scale to the Origin 50.

SSK0909

Reaction score
You can probably find a used Helix within your budget. Thats something to consider.

- All the sound and effects you could ever need.
- Can sound like a cranked amp at low volumes.
- Easy recording, if thats your thing
- Play/record at low volumes or with headphones
- Easy to carry/set up/tear down at rehearsals and gigs

SloeGin

Reaction score
If you need quiet loud (apartment/condo) then go digital.

Your budget is line 6 helix or fractal fm3/ax8 territory. I would grab one of those and some monitors or other powered speaker and dive on in.
Yes but i fear those are overkill for my limited needs. I am absolutelly not a tweaker. I also doubt playing thru monitors will satisfy me.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
For the type of music you have mentioned, I would suggest a Laney Loinheart L20T-112 and Mesa Rectoverb 25.

I played these amp years ago and really liked the cleans on both.Beautiful clean on the Loinheart. The Rectoverb also has nice cleans and a nice distorted Ch 2. You could use your BE-OD for drive tones as per your taste.

laxu

Reaction score
If you like how the THR10 sounds, you could try the THR100HD. It's relatively inexpensive on the used market. Just understand that its feature set is vastly different from the 10. No presets, few fx, no USB recording and so on. But it does sound great, you should be able to get the head and matching 2x12 cab easily with budget to spare. I see the head going for about 500-600 euros used and a good used 2x12 cab should be 300-500 euros depending on what it is. I would recommend a 2x12 stereo cab because then you can use two different speaker models and use one speaker per channel to make the most out of it since it's a stereo amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes but i fear those are overkill for my limited needs. I am absolutelly not a tweaker. I also doubt playing thru monitors will satisfy me.

If monitors wont do it then odds are you want volume that isnt condo appropriate lol. What do you listen to music on?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Victory RK50 or RK50C.

925A72AB-44C9-491C-B547-78176F2B6B48.jpeg

SloeGin

Reaction score
If monitors wont do it then odds are you want volume that isnt condo appropriate lol. What do you listen to music on?
small logitech computer monitors with subwoofer :)

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
A Fender Princeton Reverb would be cool, especially the newer '68 Custom version. It's a 12w tube amp with a 10" speaker, and the newer version is tweaked to be more like a Bassman -- overdrives earlier and a bit more midsy tonally. Works well with pedals. Tube driven reverb & vibrato.

SloeGin

Reaction score
A Fender Princeton Reverb would be cool, especially the newer '68 Custom version. It's a 12w tube amp with a 10" speaker, and the newer version is tweaked to be more like a Bassman -- overdrives earlier and a bit more midsy tonally. Works well with pedals. Tube driven reverb & vibrato.
Ever tried it with a Friedman BE OD pedal?

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Ever tried it with a Friedman BE OD pedal?

Nope, and I've only played a Twin, but the Princeton is a similar vibe on a smaller scale. Fenders tend to make great pedal platforms, I think it'd probably sound pretty rad. There's another version of the Princeton that's current -- the '65, which is cleaner sounding and more of a traditional blackface style Fender. The '68 Custom is tweaked to have a little more Bassman character.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score

Strymon Iridium with some decent studio monitors would probably do it—I use HS7s and they can get pretty beefy. They’re more satisfying than I originally expected. They’re not like having a nice 2x12 or 4x12 but they do a great job and are quite apartment-friendly.

You could also run the Iridium through a larger speaker like a Line6 Powercab or something.

Last edited:

maggotspawn

Reaction score
Pod Go. The amps are killer. I'm running it with a 260 watt SS power amp into a 4x12.
Sounds massive. Also sounds great with some headphones.