What are you listening to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
This has Håvard Jørgensen on guitars, from Ulver. Pay close attention to the guitar playing...endurance chops like no other.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Great folk atmospheres.

The foundation of black metal that was seemingly lost in translation when people in North America, and other places, tried to do black metal.

Here is another certified authentic Norwegian band, playing their music only they seem to know how to lol:

Last edited:

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The foundation of black metal that was seemingly lost in translation when people in North America, and other places, tried to do black metal.
I know what you mean but I also like there are lots more takes on it nowadays at the same time. Even if I don't like certain bands myself, I still think it's good they are reeling in fans who will eventually refine their taste and find better bands.

I have this view on all of music. For one thing always leads to another. All the music you got into in your youths may not be what you like now, but in some way it helped you get to where you are in your evolution of taste.

Here is another certified authentic Norwegian band, playing their music only they seem to know how to lol:
Going to give this a listen tomorrow for sure. There are good USBM bands too which nail atmospheric bm live even. Wolves in the Throne room being an example.

There are tons of great bm bands out there. Just takes lots of sifting through to find what you would consider gems to yourself. But I like variety because sometimes you're in a calmer mood but still want bm so atmospheric bm or folk bm can be very relaxing without deviating out of black metal.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Going to give this a listen tomorrow for sure. There are good USBM bands too which nail atmospheric bm live even. Wolves in the Throne room being an example.

Woods of Ypres stood out a lot to me. This song seems like it was made to show people all the styles they did over the years, the first album from 2002 was almost all bm and then their style changed to a more blackened/doom sound. RIP David Gold.

Robslalaina

Reaction score

In keeping with the Nordic trend here minus the evil!

Sigur Ros' music is as much a mirror as it is a TV screen or painting if you see what I mean.

Last edited:

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Woods of Ypres stood out a lot to me. This song seems like it was made to show people all the styles they did over the years, the first album from 2002 was almost all bm and then their style changed to a more blackened/doom sound. RIP David Gold.

That Valgaldir album you linked earlier was kick ass! Got done listening to it, thanks for sharing. I love that type of black metal but I always think other genres can coexist. It's not like a post black band is calling themselves traditional black metal. There are enough lanes on a road for everybody. People do change lanes on roads.

I'm just a fan of music as a whole so I always thing there's room for something else though I always understand the counterargument but as generations pass, what can you do other than look harder for the music you want to find?

As a fan first, I never make any complaints about music because I know how to look for it. When you can't find it is usually a great opportunity for you to step up and make what you wish was there.

Interesting you say Woods of Ypres used to be bm because I always remember them as doom. I'm going to listen to that later though. You definitely peaked my interest on that.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score

Icelandic Progressive Black/ Viking Metal

That first song gave me some God Dethroned vibes, this album has Tony Laureano on drums, same guy from Nile's In Their Darkened Shrine's album, awesome drumming on this album, this is from 1997 but it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday:

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That was pretty great, I enjoyed that. Totally surprised they made bm in the past. I love their doom too though.
That first song gave me some God Dethroned vibes, this album has Tony Laureano on drums, same guy from Nile's In Their Darkened Shrine's album, awesome drumming on this album, this is from 1997 but it sounds like it could have been recorded yesterday:
That was kick ass too, I love Nile. You're absolutely right this does sound like it could have been made last night.