What are your favorite weirdo tunings that you use?

PietrOo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll go first

Lately I've been writing some stuff in DADGAD, EAEG#BE and DADEAC#

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I have been on/off messing with New Standard Tuning down to A for a while and I'm loving it.

(Tuning is A E B F# C# E btw)

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
I don't know how weird this would be considered, but I've fully adopted a tuning which is basically open C major but the highest string is a D instead of an E. If my theory is correct this makes it Sus2 rather than major.

I'm also using what is essentially drop B but with the lowest string down to Ab - again, not too uncommon a tuning as far as string intervals go, but most people do this down from E standard I think (resulting in a low B).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm also using what is essentially drop B but with the lowest string down to Ab - again, not too uncommon a tuning as far as string intervals go, but most people do this down from E standard I think (resulting in a low B).

You mean like the Neurosis/Mastodon tuning where the low strong is two steps down, except you're in Db vs. E standard since your low string is an Ab vs. B?

tedtan

Reaction score
I don't know how weird this would be considered, but I've fully adopted a tuning which is basically open C major but the highest string is a D instead of an E. If my theory is correct this makes it Sus2 rather than major.

Do you have any string tuned to E? If so, I’d call it a “C Major 9 no 7” tuning (assuming there is no string tuned to B).

If no string is tuned to E, then yes, I’d call it a “C Add 9” tuning.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Minor thirds on an eight string. You get a lot less range, but you can do some really, REALLY gross sounding, tight-voiced chords. Plus, when you're "in tune" a single fret chord gives you the "spooky movie background arpeggio." Which is great when you're so out of it you don't feel like being creative but still want to play.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Normally the weirdest I ever got was ADADGBe. Now I recently got a Whammy DT and think it's time to try some crazy shit out.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I like to sometimes drop the low E string down low, relative to the current tuning. So like...

A-G-C-F-A-D (also tuned sharp)
G#-F#-B-E-G#-C#

So the lowest string is 1 step away from an octave from the next string.

Thanks to Mastodon and Alter Bridge for showing me that. :lol:

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
F#EADF#B - basically Neurosis/Mastodon tuning but lower lol

I used to use some variations on Karnivool's BF#BGBE but it's kind of a pain in the ass to write in for me

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I'm mainly in standard or D#, but the only alternate tunings I've used are DADGAD or DGCGCD (The Rain Song tuning).

I always tell myself I wanna mess around with tunings, but I just forget how to play guitar if I'm in a crazy different tuning, so that's why I don't end up messing with them as much as I probably should.

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
You mean like the Neurosis/Mastodon tuning where the low strong is two steps down, except you're in Db vs. E standard since your low string is an Ab vs. B?
Yes - not familiar with Neurosis but Mastodon used it (well, the low B version) on Leviathan for a few songs at the very least AFAIK.

Do you have any string tuned to E? If so, I’d call it a “C Major 9 no 7” tuning (assuming there is no string tuned to B).

It's just C G C G C d, so I guess the latter.

tedtan

Reaction score
Yes - not familiar with Neurosis but Mastodon used it (well, the low B version) on Leviathan for a few songs at the very least AFAIK.

It's just C G C G C d, so I guess the latter.
Actually seeing that it’s just the root and fifth with the 9 on top, I’d probably think of that as a Csus2 tuning.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

C Add 9 has an E, no need for that long name. Add is used to expand the triad with 9,11, or 13, without implying a 7 :) Csus2 is correct for no E.

A good tuning! Much prefer open Sus2 to minor or major, because adding a m or M finger is easy and then you have the option of all three. Open minor is good too - really don't like how open major makes minor chords very hard.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Long time user (nearly a decade) of Perfect 4ths in place of standard, for the consistent intervals on top.
I also tried perfect fifths - fun for a lot of range but can be impractical. I do however very much like its chord shapes.
I now heavily use a reentrant version of fifths that was inspired by Pat Metheny and Frank Gambales half-nashville tunings.

Essentially fifths with the highest two strings taken back down an octave - condensing the four top strings into a single octave and restoring fifths usual extended range span to that of a standard tuned six string. For example C2 G2 D3 A3 E3 B3. Gets me the nice powerchord+major third bass voicings of fifths tunings, plus a ton of options for condensed cluster voicings and hybrid picked let-ring lead lines. A fun thing about those DA EB string pairs being a tone apart, is that any specific voicing I find that is awkward to play, probably has an extremely easy to play alternate fingering by reshuffling the strings.

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
B F B F b f

Though I have gone from perfect fourths to B E B E b e to this.
Chords are easy, major scale is easy , symmertric shapes etc.

GuyB

Reaction score
I played a 7 string tuned in fourths with a high treble A# for more than 12 years.

E-A-D-G-C-F-A#

But, the high treble string was always breaking.

I've never seen this tuning before, I am not surprised too. :)