What audio interface to get (cheap)? HELP PLEASE

• Thread starter Peteus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Peteus

Reaction score
I am quite a novice at recording and I have been scuppered by my computer constantly (it was terrible) so I finally got my self a new computer and I was going to fit my m audio 2496 but then I found out it didn't fit in my computer and that my motherboard uses the newer 64 bit pci :(
So I need to get a new interface and decided that instead of crawling under my desk I would get a usb interface. So I have been looking at either the:

M-audio fast track pro
M-AUDIO - Fast Track Pro - 4 x 4 Mobile USB Audio/MIDI Interface with Preamps
M-audio fast track ultra
M-AUDIO - Fast Track Ultra - High-speed 8 x 8 USB 2.0 Interface with MX Core DSP Technology

However, I don't want to spend a fortune due to not being very good yet, yet I don't want to feel like I want to upgrade really soon. I also want to make sure I have outputs for studio monitors :)
So any suggestions or which should I go for between these to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
This may not be popular lol, but I use the POD studio GX as my interface and never have any problems with it, and I just use a stero splitter on the headphone out and use one input for my headphones and the other has a 1/8 to RCA wire that goes into monitors, it works well for me and only cost $100 plus you get pod farm with it, if you don't want to go that route I've heard the presonus audio box is good for the money.

Reaction score
Or are they all the same and nothings going to get much better until a couple of £!00 more.
I can't say 100% but, that most likely is the case.

Every suggestion given is going to be subjective anyway, someone may say one is a piece of crap while another may have no problems with it, I say buy what you want and try it. If it sucks return it. That's why receipts and return policies exist :)

IbanezJ2GA

Reaction score
I got a firestudio mobile off ebay for $230 with shipping brandnew and is excellent. Its hard beating this interface unless your going to spend ALOT more. I had a maudio interface and it crapped out on me so didnt go with maudio the next time. Heard focusrite is a good option too.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
I was thinking of that, Is the m-audio 410 any good?

To be honest, I've never much liked M-Audio stuff. Most of the time It's a bit hit and miss. Some people will have no problems at all, while some will spend weeks punching themselves getting it to work.

The brands I have found to be consistently good are RME, Focusrite and MOTU.

Presonus and M-Audio are good but cheaply assembled.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
if roundtrip latency is important (if you use guitar amp sims, for example) then go for the m-audio fast track ultra. not bad specs either for the price. M-Audio Fast Track Ultra focusrite/presonus have nice preamps but not great drivers. only other low-latency USB interfaces are RME, but they cost more bucks.
OTOH, a Texas Instruments FW card is fairly cheap, and then brings other FW interfaces into play, i use Echo, but Roland, RME, MOTU are also good. But if you want USB, then i would go for the m-audio.

Latest posts