What band or musician got you into guitar?

• Thread starter MoshJosh
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Grunge got me into guitar...

Alice in Chains
Soundgarden
Filter
Nirvana
Bush

Then there was hair metal and things like it...
Whitesnake
Faith No More
Guns N Roses
Etc...

CD1221

Reaction score
Some dutch dude with a home-made striped guitar that tore my face off with insane solos and huge rhythms. I think his brother played drums?

A pair of british geezers named Dave and Adrian, playing awesome harmonies and trying to keep out of the way of their epicly lunged ADHD singer.

Metallica/Megadeth/Anthrax/Coroner/Overkill/Kreator/Slayer/Sepultura/Annihilator/Helloween.......

...And a couple of curly haired british gents. Mr May and Mr Iommi.

protest

Reaction score
Is it bad that I don't think I had anyone or any band that got me into playing? I had stopped playing football in high school and was just looking for something to do.

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
Lots of bands have influenced me, and I've always enjoyed a good guitar melody/solo/etc. - but the band that finally made me say "F**k it, I'm doing this," stop screwing around, and buckle down for the long haul is Kalmah.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I was always interrested in guitar pretty much since I was born, but I actually started when my friend's dad started a band-thingy at school. We played easy stuff like Smoke on the Water and Breaking the Law etc.

But what actually got me to start practicing a lot (like 8 hours every day) was when I heard Master of Puppets for the first time. It just blew my mind. I practiced every part of it, even both guitars on the harmony parts etc. :D

I got into 7-strings through Dream Theater. I didn't even like them at first and I used to joke about them calculating song structures and stuff with supercomputers :D But then I just kept listening and their stuff grew on me up to the point where they became my favorite band :) And they're still among my favorites.

TheSeventhHead

Reaction score
Well, I had been playing drums for about 5 years, and then started listening to Scar Symmetry, Dream Theater, Opeth, and Amon Amarth. Those four bands alone got me interested in guitar. "Amon Amarth? That's not a very shreddy guitar band, what gives?" True, but as far as some sick and heavy riffage, they kill it and some of their stuff is still, to this day, my favorite to jam on.