What Cubase Version do I Need?

• Thread starter The Thing Upstairs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I had an iMac that went south and was more than I was willing to spend to repair that ran logic.
I’ve got a 2019 Mac air but as it’s a low spec pc don’t think it will be up to much so was thinking of using my gaming pc instead.

if I go down that route, I’d like to try cubase. Any idea whether I should look at cubase artist over elements?

I’m just recording covers - midi programmed bass / drums and guitar tracks, nothing flash or remotely high end. pone day I keep telling myself I’ll get ggd or sd etc but not got round to it yet.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aewrik

Reaction score
Do you absolutely need Cubase? Reaper is a very viable alternative to any DAW, and unless you have specific need that Cubase fills (like collecting USB dongles), there may be better alternatives for you.

Right now Studio One 4 Professional is on sale for the price of Cubase Artist.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I’ve seen a few cubase tutorials and like the look of it. I’m not dead set so will checkout other DAWs. Thanks for the studio one suggestion.

The main thing is that it’s Welles’s established, popular and there are lots of online resources because I’m still learning. Logic was good for that.

MSS

Reaction score
Try the air first. You might be surprised. I ran Logic for quite some time on a 2012 air with a core i7 and 8megs of ram. Same situation, my old mac shit the bed and I had no choice at the time. Now I run it on a 2019 mac mini.

Intangir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use Cubase and it's great, but its strength is in its midi capabilities. It does great on audio too but if I was just doing band/metal stuff (lots of audio plus some midi) I'd just use Reaper tbh. Go with Cubase if you plan on doing lots of midi. Also wait for a sale if you can, I got something like 50% off on Cubase pro during last year's sale.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
thanks all

While I could use the Air, I don’t see it as long term without buying a thunderbolt 3 drive as it’s not got a huge disk. It was bought for web/mail/word use.

It’d be more cost effective to add storage to my gaming rig and I’ve got the hump with Apple so am not willing to put any more coin their way. my iMac was 3.5years old.
I did buy a replacement iMac at first (because I’m a fanboy) but the FaceTime camera on it didn’t work.....

I like the look of studio one - looks quite easy to use as a logic user so will down load the free version and give that a go. It’s on sale at the moment as well.

I’ll do the same with cubase and download the trial.

Reaction score
I was a long time Cubase user. I tried Reaper and I can definitely see the usefulness to most home recording musicians, but ultimately Reaper wasn't for me. I wound up with Studio One Pro. The nice thing about it is that it's developed by the original Cubase team so it feels a lot like Cubase, but less learning curve. There's a plethora of online reseources for STudio One as well so you'll never go without being able to find something.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I see a lot of mention of cubase being great for midi stuff but don’t really know what that means.
In logic, I’ve imported midi drum tracks from guitar pro and I have a small midi keyboard I use fo chord progressions.
I also used midi to change presets on my axe fx while playing songs

Am I right in thinking S1 will be able to do all that?
And that I could use superior drummer, ez or ggd with no problems (I don’t own any of those at the mo).

Very nooby questions, apologies but Logic ‘just worked’ and I was no where near maxing out its capabilities.

I keep thinking bugger it I’ll get cubase pro, then think nah, save the cash and get s1 pro. I know both are most like overkill unless I miraculously change career direction and become the next bob rock (winning the lotto more likely)..

What I don’t want to do is have multiple DAW’s. I just want to get one and learn it.

I used to be indecisive, but today I’m not so sure......

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Try them all out and buy the one you find yourself most productive with.

I use both Studio One Pro 4 and Bitwig 3. I'm not a pro or anything but it's a hobby I enjoy a lot and have put so many hours into both applications.

There's always aggressive sales going on if you're patient as well. At the end of the day you can accomplish the same things no matter the DAW you pick.

trem licking

Reaction score
Get cakewalk by bandlab... Free, full featured and regularly updated/added to. Went from cubase to it and am more than happy

Latest posts