What did YOU do this weekend? (The Weekend Thread)

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood pickup tester
Reaction score
Speaking of eyes and stuff inside them, I have keratoconus in both eyes and had to do surgery years ago.
The surgery consists in injections of a vitamin in your eye with a goddamn surgical needle.
*gets dead space 2 flashbacks* nooooo

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I had a gig that was.....one for the books.

The venue's sewage tank flooded the night before, one band's backing video crashed and they couldn't use it, my amp blew, a guitarist spilled beer on another guitarist's computer..computer overheated and fucked up our set which we cut short. I punched a dent in the ceiling, the mic broke so I threw it, I smashed the amp and sent it flying inches past the venue owner's head and kicked my guitar over, someone from another performing band gave herself a mild concussion by punching herself in the head with a brass knuckle/mic combo, her synth pads and vocoder malfunctioned, everyone was high on the edibles being sold (except me because I don't really drink or smoke or anything), people were horrified during a performance art number that turned into a rape/murder/disembowelment....oh..and some random viking dude showed up in full gear. He happened to enjoy singing Celine Dion songs so we got him to sing My Heart Will Go On...

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
After almost a year of being in our new house, we finally finished renovating the hallways and living room this past weekend. So... new paint, blinds, brackets, curtains, door knobs/ hardware, and LED light fixtures. Plus a lot of hole-filling, sanding, re-texturing, caulking, etc. Really happy with how it all came out.

jaxadam

Reaction score
After almost a year of being in our new house, we finally finished renovating the hallways and living room this past weekend. So... new paint, blinds, brackets, curtains, door knobs/ hardware, and LED light fixtures. Plus a lot of hole-filling, sanding, re-texturing, caulking, etc. Really happy with how it all came out.

Looks fantastic man. Were the walls already textured? Also, which gray color did you guys go with?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Looks fantastic man. Were the walls already textured? Also, which gray color did you guys go with?

Man... really appreciate it! My compulsiveness certainly didn't move things along very quickly but we're trying to address all necessary repairs along the way as well as sensible upgrades... not too fancy, not too modern, and not too expensive lol. We don't have the money right now to be throwing marble countertops and custom build outs at this house so budget always looms overhead.

I've never had to work with walls and ceilings with this much texture but yeah... they were already like that. Good in some regards... allows mistakes or anomalies to be hidden more easily but damn hard to get clean lines. Lots of touch up where walls meet ceilings. Used a Sherwin Williams Showcase called "Mindful Grey". When choosing it we had to really watch not going to warm/ brown nor too cool/ blue. Really very happy with it as is Mrs. Drifter.

Real quick fyi- We picked one of the best quality paints that Sherwin Williams had and that was a mistake. It's so thick that it takes a while to completely fill all the nooks and crannies so after it dries, you've got little pinholes showing up everywhere. A cheaper less viscous version would've actually covered better. Advertised one coat coverage... took three coats lol.

Adieu

Reaction score
I had a gig that was.....one for the books.

The venue's sewage tank flooded the night before, one band's backing video crashed and they couldn't use it, my amp blew, a guitarist spilled beer on another guitarist's computer..computer overheated and fucked up our set which we cut short. I punched a dent in the ceiling, the mic broke so I threw it, I smashed the amp and sent it flying inches past the venue owner's head and kicked my guitar over, someone from another performing band gave herself a mild concussion by punching herself in the head with a brass knuckle/mic combo, her synth pads and vocoder malfunctioned, everyone was high on the edibles being sold (except me because I don't really drink or smoke or anything), people were horrified during a performance art number that turned into a rape/murder/disembowelment....oh..and some random viking dude showed up in full gear. He happened to enjoy singing Celine Dion songs so we got him to sing My Heart Will Go On...

And all these people were Republicans???

Oh never mind.... this was before the 2020 apocalypse fully manifested

jaxadam

Reaction score
Man... really appreciate it! My compulsiveness certainly didn't move things along very quickly but we're trying to address all necessary repairs along the way as well as sensible upgrades... not too fancy, not too modern, and not too expensive lol. We don't have the money right now to be throwing marble countertops and custom build outs at this house so budget always looms overhead.

I've never had to work with walls and ceilings with this much texture but yeah... they were already like that. Good in some regards... allows mistakes or anomalies to be hidden more easily but damn hard to get clean lines. Lots of touch up where walls meet ceilings. Used a Sherwin Williams Showcase called "Mindful Grey". When choosing it we had to really watch not going to warm/ brown nor too cool/ blue. Really very happy with it as is Mrs. Drifter.

Real quick fyi- We picked one of the best quality paints that Sherwin Williams had and that was a mistake. It's so thick that it takes a while to completely fill all the nooks and crannies so after it dries, you've got little pinholes showing up everywhere. A cheaper less viscous version would've actually covered better. Advertised one coat coverage... took three coats lol.

Good stuff man. I know exactly what you mean about the "not too brown, not too blue". We went with SW Emerald flat, which is a washable flat and good for when the kids wreck the walls. The majority of our living space is north facing, which is a good thing in Florida, but it can give off a more cool tone in the winter and warm tone in the summer. Sherwin Williams has a thing they do where for $75 you have a "paint consultant" come to your house, and you get that $75 back in credit toward paint. I'm glad we did because we ended up going with a totally different gray, and not one of the grays we painted samples of on the wall (repose, dorian, agreeable, etc.). She gave us ideas I would have never thought of (half strength in the tray ceiling in the dining so it wouldn't "candy cane", accent door in kitchen, backsplash ideas, etc.) The only bummer was the paint we ended up going with, SW changed their formula the next year so the new one is a little lighter. I have to ask for the old formula for touch ups but it still a little off.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Good stuff man. I know exactly what you mean about the "not too brown, not too blue". We went with SW Emerald flat, which is a washable flat and good for when the kids wreck the walls. The majority of our living space is north facing, which is a good thing in Florida, but it can give off a more cool tone in the winter and warm tone in the summer. Sherwin Williams has a thing they do where for $75 you have a "paint consultant" come to your house, and you get that $75 back in credit toward paint. I'm glad we did because we ended up going with a totally different gray, and not one of the grays we painted samples of on the wall (repose, dorian, agreeable, etc.). She gave us ideas I would have never thought of (half strength in the tray ceiling in the dining so it wouldn't "candy cane", accent door in kitchen, backsplash ideas, etc.) The only bummer was the paint we ended up going with, SW changed their formula the next year so the new one is a little lighter. I have to ask for the old formula for touch ups but it still a little off.

I told my wife that I wanted to put any left-over paint into some glass or plastic jars and keep them sealed tight... just due to what you're saying about matching touch-ups. Really sucks when the touch-ups don't blend exactly. We ran into something similar on one of our ceilings. Took three tries to perfectly match it but when we finally laid it down... nope! So we had to completely re-do the entire ceiling. Seems no matter how exact it looks on a swatch or sample, when it goes onto the actual substrate, it's off.

Paint consultant would've helped us in the kitchen as we changed choices I think 5-6 times... no joke. It took looking at the samples on the actual walls under various natural/ artificial lighting conditions before we could make the final call. But I don't see having any issues moving forward to do the last 4 rooms ( 2 bathrooms, guest bedroom, and laundry room).

We actually picked up the paint for the guest bathroom this past wknd... Valspar Royal Grey ( actually like a slate blue). Color theme will be the blue/ grey color, w/ black, white, and chrome accents.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I told my wife that I wanted to put any left-over paint into some glass or plastic jars and keep them sealed tight... just due to what you're saying about matching touch-ups. Really sucks when the touch-ups don't blend exactly. We ran into something similar on one of our ceilings. Took three tries to perfectly match it but when we finally laid it down... nope! So we had to completely re-do the entire ceiling. Seems no matter how exact it looks on a swatch or sample, when it goes onto the actual substrate, it's off.

Paint consultant would've helped us in the kitchen as we changed choices I think 5-6 times... no joke. It took looking at the samples on the actual walls under various natural/ artificial lighting conditions before we could make the final call. But I don't see having any issues moving forward to do the last 4 rooms ( 2 bathrooms, guest bedroom, and laundry room).

We actually picked up the paint for the guest bathroom this past wknd... Valspar Royal Grey ( actually like a slate blue). Color theme will be the blue/ grey color, w/ black, white, and chrome accents.

One trick I have done with touch-up paint is I’ll add a little bit of water (like 10%).

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Hunted down some tool box stacks on CL, already sold, went to Harbor Freight, went big. Placing and loading them up will be its own day.
Kitchen faucet corroded out, supply valves shot of course as wel, 2 unplanned projects. Heading to Lowes for Sharkbite cure.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I tried golf, and I think I might give it a few more goes in the off-season to see if it's worth playing in the on-season