What do I do with my 5150?

• Thread starter newfinator
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
Right now my main amps are a Carvin Legacy and a 5150. I’m finding that I play the 5150 very little due to becoming used to the, more mid-centric, tone of the Legacy and finding the 5150 somewhat thin sounding in comparison. I like the aggressive nature of the 5150 but wish it was less mid-scooped.

I guess in an ideal world I’d have an amp that could do them both and everything in between. So, I’m left with a few options, in my mind. I can figure out how to fatten up the 5150 and/or getting a third amp that would supply the thicker singing tone of the Legacy and, optionally, be as aggressive as the 5150.

As far as the third amp option is concerned, from what exposure I’ve had, I was thinking that a Mark IV might fit the bill but I have limited experience with them. I get the impression that it could touch on both tones.

Any options or thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
well if they're in different locations.. what exactly is the problem? you rock out on the legacy when you're at that place, and you rock out on the 5150 when you're at that place.

what's your EQ on the 5150?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
you could sell the 5150 and get another legacy?
you could get the 5150 modded

newfinator

The LORD OF BYRON
Reaction score
well if they're in different locations.. what exactly is the problem? you rock out on the legacy when you're at that place, and you rock out on the 5150 when you're at that place.

what's your EQ on the 5150?

I guess I want to have more tonal options than just the Legacy and I don't want to dump the 5150 but, right now it just seems too thin to me. If I could make the 5150 darker, beyond simply the EQ settings, that would help. Maybe what I really want is a third amp that has a mix of both. Any comments on how the Mark IV would fit in?

Shaman

Reaction score
I guess I want to have more tonal options than just the Legacy and I don't want to dump the 5150 but, right now it just seems too thin to me. If I could make the 5150 darker, beyond simply the EQ settings, that would help. Maybe what I really want is a third amp that has a mix of both. Any comments on how the Mark IV would fit in?

Krank up the resonance for a fat tone and use the presence to bring the brightness. This way you don't need to use a lot of treble while still having a bright tone.

Something like: resonance: 7
Presence: 8
Treble: 3-4

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
25834.gif

:D

j/k

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Sell both, buy a Recto. Seriously.

You'll keep the agressive nature that you like about the 5150, and also be able to switch to Vintage mode and get the sweeter sonic character you're looking for. Rectos are like Swiss Army knives, they do a bunch of different things.

The Mark IV is a cool amp with some great lead tones, but you're not going to get that rhythm grind out of it, either. The Recto and 5150 are both heavily based on the Soldano SLO100 preamp design, so they you're going to get the same vibe with the Recto on modern mode. Unlike the 5150, though, the Recto has two more modes per channel, so you're not stuck with just one sound.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
VHT amps have a pretty dynamic midrange and are aggressive as hell.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
throw an mxr 10 band EQ in the loop and boost the lower mids up.
I used to do that with my 5150 and it really thickened up the lead
channel and made the amp sound huge.
without it I thought the lead channel sounded a little thin.
With it, it sounded great.
I wish my JSX had a 4th channel (the lead channel of the 5150).
then that amp would be almost perfect (for me) :hbang:

I actually do this with my JSX too, as it lets me dial down the mids
on the amps EQ (which is upper mids) and I can dial the lower
mids back in.
My JSX sounds so much thicker this way
(they should have included an EQ on the amp IE: Mark IV style)
try that before you give up on the 5150 you may be surprised.

or buy a recto (Zimbloths partner in crime is selling one in the classifieds right now).

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Rectifier? It's crunchy as hell, a la a 5150, but has a lot more midrange than people generally assume, provided you don't scoop them.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Sell both, buy a JSX, and swap the tubes for JJ 6L6's. :D

Latest posts