What do those of you up north do in the winter?

• Thread starter will_shred
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Here in far north Canada, when it's not below -50c I'm usually always out snowboarding/snowmobiling, or inside working on guitar practice. That said, I live in an incredibly small and isolated town where little else exists. For reference, I live here Fort McMurray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aahh you live in FortMac, eh? My family moved there beginning of this year, and I spent my entire summer there. I'm paying them a visit again this December! I'm gonna try to catch some northern lights.

Last winter was my first real Canadian winter, and I had lots and lots of fun. Rent some skiing/snowboarding gear (which is fairly cheap. I only paid about $100 for my ski gear and I kept it for about 4 months before I had to return it) and get out there. There's a lot of snow and winter sports that you could try out.

Other than sports (which I suck at, btw :lol:), I actually enjoy going out for walks in snowy days. I find it super relaxing, and I love the mood that snow puts on everything. Everything looks like a postcard. Just put on a good parka, a scarf, and a warm pair of boots, and off you go.

Staying in and playing guitar happens a lot, too :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

squid-boy

Reaction score
I have been known to occasionally leave my igloo and ride my polar bear to the Beer and Maple Syrup Imporium.

My polar bear is in the shop getting his winter claws put on. 'Round these parts, by law, we have to have winter tread on our vehicles in October. Don't want to be sliding into any moose or beavers on my way to hockey practice.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
If I don't stay active or get enough sun through the winter months, I tend to spiral into a horrible depression. I commute by bike, so that helps, but January through March are too shitty for my road bike to handle. Other than that, I play hockey whenever I get a chance. Ice conditions are generally prime during the months that roads are too bad for biking. Some cities also have velodromes for indoor track biking, which would be a great option. There's always the gym for lifting and general fitness, too. If you look into the things going on in your city, you might also be able to find that there are recreational volleyball, basketball and indoor soccer leagues or something like that.

Last year, I also worked on building a hydroponic window farm in the greenhouse at my university. It was nice to be up there and feel the sun, which is what I miss most in the winter. Even when I just had to study, I'd bring my books and computer up there and just sort of lounge in the sun.

Underworld

Reaction score
Snowboarding sometimes, walks in the woods with snowshoes, blasting IMMORTAL's albums At the Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness in my car. Seriously good snow storm music!

Just took a picture with my phone, 5 minutes ago. View from my office, first day of snow yay!

IMG_20131028_102950_zpsf07c0116.jpg

Murmel

Reaction score
Downhill skiing/snowboarding if you live close to a decent slope.
Practice music.
Cozy up like a motherfawker inside with your friends/girlfriend/boyfriend/dog/whatever.
Take walks. I personally loooove walks in the winter, at least before the snow has turned brown from all the sand and gravel they put on the roads and then shovel away.
Go to the mountains if you can, enjoy the silence. It's pretty hard to get somewhere where you can't hear anything human made at all these days.

There's probably a ton of other things to do other than those listed in this thread. The thing with winter is that most people get lazy and unmotivated.

Jakke

Pretty wisdomous
Reaction score
I walk outside, mutter "...., it's cold." to no-one in particular and then walk back inside.

I pretty much do this, with the addition of holding a strong alcoholic beverage.

I also tend to sit with my feet on the radiator a lot, as I am tall, and therefore haven't got a great circulation.

pylyo

Reaction score
We're as far up as most of canada man, that's pretty north to me.

Yeah, your deffo northerners. As mush as Londoners are. :lol:

As far as I remember NL is/was always fitted in west europe. Never heard anyone or read it anywhere to be callin' ducth as northerners.

Also I bet we have much more extreme weather conditions, if we speak of snow and T below minus than NL, which is known of mild winter conditions and mild weather conditions in general.
And comparing to NL, we are south. But still manage to get over 1m of snow easily in the winter and get below -20C.
Austria is even worst but just a pinch away from us.

I assume you have a bazillion of rain though.

Anyway, I am pretty sure the guy is waiting for SWEs and NORs and similar to chime in (the ones from permafrost, according to you :fawk:)...

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I'm not far north, but winter still sucks here. I usually spend my winters applying copious amounts of chapstick, hand lotion, and carmex, as well as hating my life.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
blasting IMMORTAL's albums At the Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness in my car.

Best idea in the thread. "Antarctica" is my favorite Immortal song ever, and wonderfully fitting. :lol:

But yeah, snowmobiling, skiing/snowboarding and bundling up inside are the usual conventions here too. Although you know what the best solution really is?

Going south for the winter. ;)

silent suicide

Winter is coming
Reaction score
There is quite much to do here up North.
And basically life goes on even with 1 -2 meters of snow and minus 40.
Personally, I damn the gods, crank up the heat and hope the snow doesn't kill the internet.
Other then that riding polar bears is Norrlands favourite activity.

Also dodge the elk on the road, when driving 100 - 120 km/h on iceroads.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I do crosscountry skiing. Wich is probably one of the less metal things to do during winter, but I really enjoy going out in the woods, skiing peacefully while listening to music.