What do you do for a living?

• Thread starter nicktao
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I am a college student, but I tried starting my own landscaping company but will probably be working for one of the bigger landscap companies in the area starting next year. I found out I love the work but I need a few years of business school and more experience before I can run a company. I have also worked for the government, Wal-Mart, and oddly enough, Hooters as a glorified bus boy.

100-200k out of college is asking a little much. I know people in their late 20s who make about 100k, but they are accountants, managers, ect. Just work hard and get educated. By the time you are in your late 30s you could be making that much. Just work hard, do a good job and become educated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Maybe I'm off base, but I'm amazed at the number of people who think $100-200K is doable, even at the height of one's career. I know plenty of engineers, teachers, principals, software programmers, IT professionals, etc., who aren't making anywhere near $200K, and most not over $100K - and this is in their thirties. Am I off base with this, or is this what all of you guys are finding? I mean, on a 40 hour work week $100K is 50 bucks an hour. That's pretty big.

beyondcosmos

Reaction score
Maybe I'm off base, but I'm amazed at the number of people who think $100-200K is doable, even at the height of one's career. I know plenty of engineers, teachers, principals, software programmers, IT professionals, etc., who aren't making anywhere near $200K, and most not over $100K - and this is in their thirties. Am I off base with this, or is this what all of you guys are finding? I mean, on a 40 hour work week $100K is 50 bucks an hour. That's pretty big.

A lot of people around certain parts of my home state make beyond $100k annually, but don't live extravagantly. They put a lot into raising their families and driving to and from work since gas is pretty expensive in our state relative to the rest of the U.S. (and I'm okay with that--it pressures people to not drive so much in a country that's slowly strangling itself with its car-obsessed way of life. Real talk, yo).

Bottom line, $100k doesn't seem unrealistic if you're surrounded by people you know make that sort of bank and still seem to live a typical, middle-class lifestyle due to their living expenses.

Edit: I don't come from one of these families. I'd say I'm lower middle class.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score

I am the opposite, I know quite a few people who make that much. Both of my parents make more than that, my Father makes 152k a year and my mother makes about 117k a year, both US Government employees. Granted, it took them YEARS to get there (they are in their 50s now) and my father is about to retire.

Is it doable? Actually yes it is after years of education and working extremely hard. I am 21 and I remember when we were not making nowhere near half that much. Anything is possible if you have the right mindset and work ethic :yesway:

nicktao

Reaction score
I don't want an extravagant lifestyle, just enough money to support my hobbies, ~5-10k disposable income a year. I'll probably live in an apartment until around 30-35, eventually get a house.

Labrie

King of the Swing
Reaction score
My job starts around 75k a year but it depends how much you work (as I get paid hourly). Once I get my second job I'll be pulling over 100k but I'll also be working over 200 hours a month for it and then lose almost half to taxes. Oh the joys of a single income family.

That's after two years of college. I also have a bachelors degree but it didn't affect my wage at all. So it is possible to make six figures if you get in the right line of work.

Vinchester

Reaction score
Ace that SAT.
Get into the best university in your country.
Study Finance/investment and get a job in that field.
Tons of money.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I think the common wisdom is that if you graduate just with a Bachelors in something you can expect on average about 45K a year. It'll be higher if you go the STEM route, lower if you go the other direction, but on average, count on 45K.

That's really a decent amount of money. If you don't have any crazy addictions or just incredibly poor financial skills, you'll have that five to ten thousand extra you want. A single man can do a lot with that money, including save or invest it. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because you can afford it now, you should go ahead and do it. The 100K and beyond is possible, but be prepared to work for it. Not only that, but be prepared to network and possibly leave your area to get it.

I like to look at my dad for inspiration. He's a high school dropout who makes $173,000 a year as the Global Subsea Manager. He did this by starting as a helper in a machine shop, which in Houston means he swept up shavings from CNC machines and basically did all the bitch work :lol:. But because he worked hard, networked, and owned his own company for awhile, he was able to parlay that experience into a job that lets him travel the world (AND GET PAID TO PLAY GOLF IN SCOTLAND, WHAT THE F--K) and provide for us kids.

So yeah. I'm not going to ridicule you like some of these guys, but at least go into this with your eyes open. Figure out a career path that won't make you suicidal, figure out if it will be financially viable or attractive to you, and then figure out which schools you need to look at in terms of their relationships with top companies in the field.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
I am an domestic appliances repairman. I repair everything from freezers to tumble dryers and so on. It's quite nice job actually, I learn new every day. Working days are standard (in finland) 8 hour days and the pay is quite low. I'd be thrilled to get 200k per year.

Fktpguitfiddle

Reaction score
im a welder, and i live very comfortably, support a wife and child and have plenty of gear cash and time left over, and no schooling expenses! haha just some food for thought

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I don't want an extravagant lifestyle, just enough money to support my hobbies, ~5-10k disposable income a year. I'll probably live in an apartment until around 30-35, eventually get a house.

Mortgage for a small house is often cheaper than renting. ;)

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
im a welder, and i live very comfortably, support a wife and child and have plenty of gear cash and time left over, and no schooling expenses! haha just some food for thought

What kind of welding work? Any certifications?

When I conclude my military service, I'm looking to land a welding job, so I love talking to welders in the civilian world. I have over two years to go, however, but I'm pretty certain the welding industry will be just as prominent at that time.

If you prefer to talk in private, we can. :)

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I can certainly attest to that. Most folks just *think* they can't afford it.

Indeed. My landlord's mortgage is in fact lower than what I pay in rent, by roughly $90. It's a 2,000 sq ft house with four bedrooms. Best of all, we may be buying it very soon. I certainly hope so, because we love the house.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I sell electronics and electronics accessories.
Yes sir, I tell you what.