What do you suggest? Amp for practice.

• Thread starter jamesfarrell
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Got a MK V in the studio downstairs. Sometimes it's cold down there in the Winter. There's heat, but sometimes I don't feel like going down there and just feel like noodling on the couch. I find that headphones always sound like sh*t and I have a good set of AKG studio headphones too.

So I was looking at either the amplifi 75 or 150, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on one of those. But I figure the wife and kid could use the thing too for music.

Wondering what to do. I like the option of using the Line6 as a music player, but what intrigues me the most is, sometimes I just like to mess around with tones, which seems like the Amplifi would be about to do for low volume tones.

I'm wondering what else out there is similar to that? I have a boss gt10 that I could put into one of my line6 PA speakers, but the gt10 sounds like sh*t IMO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

desmondtencents

Plays With Wood!
Reaction score
I've been really interested in the Yamaha THR series. They seem to get a pretty good ammount of praise from what I've seen. They look pretty versatile for being a compact little box.

Steinmetzify

CHUG & SLUDGE
Reaction score
For just something to mess around with, I snagged a Line6 Spider 30w. FX, bunch of different channel types, and I use it basically like you said you wanted to...just messing around with different tones while watching TV or whatever. It doesn't sound the best, but for the price I didn't really expect it to. $150 new at GC. Grabbed a shortboard off of CL for $20 and I can change patches/channels, has a tuner and also a fairly usable wah. Just an idea.

The THR series is also pretty decent; I have a bunch of friends that snagged em on a sale awhile back...good tones at low volumes, USB out for recording too. Not bad at all for what they are.

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Man, just plugged in my old Irig for shits and giggles. What a horrible sounding piece of crap that is.

aprilia4life

Reaction score
+1 for Yamaha THR10, I went with the X version, it's pretty awesome. Very versatile, you can have a song from your mp3 player through it whilst you play along on your guitar. It has 3 decent amp models (+2 lead channels), and a clean and no effects channels also. With lots of adjustment options via USB.

Super portable and loud, and makes a great music player or external PC speaker.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Got a MK V in the studio downstairs. Sometimes it's cold down there in the Winter. There's heat, but sometimes I don't feel like going down there and just feel like noodling on the couch. I find that headphones always sound like sh*t and I have a good set of AKG studio headphones too.

So I was looking at either the amplifi 75 or 150, but I don't know if I want to spend that much on one of those. But I figure the wife and kid could use the thing too for music.

Wondering what to do. I like the option of using the Line6 as a music player, but what intrigues me the most is, sometimes I just like to mess around with tones, which seems like the Amplifi would be about to do for low volume tones.

I'm wondering what else out there is similar to that? I have a boss gt10 that I could put into one of my line6 PA speakers, but the gt10 sounds like sh*t IMO.

If you want something that will make cool sounds at a low volume, look no further than the Ibanez RGKP6 with Kaoss Pad: Ibanez RGKP6 with Kaoss Pad - Weathered Black | Sweetwater.com In fact, I think there is a better "low volume, cool sound making, noodling" guitar (or amp) out there. You really have to play one to understand though. The video does not do the Kaoss Pad justice by a long shot. Its the closest thing to a guitar-synth I've ever heard. The AmpliFi and similar products are nice for playing along with a song but not so great for casual listening. The effects might be better than your GT-10 but they will be the same kind of effects.

Scathe

Reaction score
I'm a line 6 fanboy, so I'm gonna suggest the Spider line. They have pretty good sound quality and definitely have more options in terms of practice amps.

Rogerthat

Reaction score
I've used a Roland Cube 40gx for a while now. For the money it cant be beat.

GreatWhiteYeti

Reaction score
I always recommend Roland Microcube's because they never die, and they really don't sound all that bad for just practicing. Rob Chappers did a video I think where he shot one with an arrow, played bass through, etc. They're rock solid.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Older Peavey Vypyr 30 or 75 watt combo :yesway:

The 30 watt goes used for $90-100 all the time on GC used, and the 75 goes for about $125-140

vibrantgermancities

Reaction score
Another vote for the THR10X here - I'm really amazed by the sounds I can get out of mine. For such a tiny piece of kit, it's got great tone and is pretty damn responsive. Works great as a media speaker too, either for jamming along or just for listening, and can also be used as an interface if you want to record an idea nice and quickly.

Doesn't look too out of place on a shelf in the living room either... and because it's so portable, if I fancy playing in a different room, or I'm visiting friends/family/whatever for the weekend, it's no trouble to move.

If you get a chance, I'd recommend sitting down with the different models. The low-gain sounds in the THR10C (and straight up THR10 for that matter) are pretty great too - as a matter of fact I'm expecting a 10C to turn up in the next few weeks...

Latest posts