What Do You Want to See More of in the ERG Market?

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lionsden

Reaction score
I'd love to see Jackson get into the arena more and especially to see them make 7s available for CS order without having to do a Masterbuild which starts at $5000 and take something like 3-5 years to complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shadscbr

Reaction score
Another vote for something made of some kind of carbon derivative or similar for extreme temperature and weather durability. I would love a carbon fiber headless, multi scale 8 w trem, please :)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I probably posted here already. I might have posted the same thing bc I haven't checked.

I just want to see the same variety of color options we see in "traditional" instruments.

I work at a tech company and the thing that drives me most crazy is that they'll half ass support something if the paper pushers don't immediately adopt it even if it's a better way.

But every effort to bolster the new initiative is stifled by this need to play it safe that would probably be better received by the target audience had it been released with the same support as the flagship product.

Stand by all of your products, not just the ones that traditionally make more money. Watch the trends of the ones that don't and learn to recognize when you may actually benefit from taking a risk and spraying your ERGs in the same colors as your "traditional instruments".

I've passed on buying so many 7s bc the 6 was cooler and they only offer they 7 in royal blue, black, or white. Maybe your spreadsheet tells you that's the best course of action bc that's all you've ever had the gumption to try... NOT bc that actually represents the wants of your customer base. :2c:

BananaDemocracy

8 String Impaler
Reaction score
Now that I play the ultimate ERG, I feel maybe a specific Amp for 8 strings (and I guess 9 by extension if you tune lower even!)? They probably have an ERG aimed amp, but I didn’t know of it so I think I’d like a Mesa Subzero Rectifier or something like that!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Rectos can sound good if set right for 8 string. But I think that pickups, and scale length have more to do with the punchiness. Depending on what style of playing, you'll want a boost. I've used 8s with a Recto and liked the results sans boost. But I play mostly post metal. Nothing tech or djenty. I mostly like slower tempos too. So, grindy bass tone, and beefy guitars. I mix amps live too. So... One set for cut. The other set for size.

KnightBrolaire

friendly neighborhood pickup tester
Reaction score
Now that I play the ultimate ERG, I feel maybe a specific Amp for 8 strings (and I guess 9 by extension if you tune lower even!)? They probably have an ERG aimed amp, but I didn’t know of it so I think I’d like a Mesa Subzero Rectifier or something like that!
you don't need any ERG specific amp, that's just marketing bullshit. If I can make a fender hot rod deluxe work with 8 strings (which I've done in the past) then any higher wattage amp that's properly eq'd will do the job too.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
you don't need any ERG specific amp, that's just marketing bullshit. If I can make a fender hot rod deluxe work with 8 strings (which I've done in the past) then any higher wattage amp that's properly eq'd will do the job too.

I think you made a very specific point with the "Higher Wattage" and "Properly eq'd" comment. ANY decently powered amp will work. Meshuggah use 50 watt heads live.

@BananaDemocracy You aren't holding down the low end, so you don't need 300+ watts. Though my rig at 250 watts is fun. :evil: It's entirely unnecessary. I also push it through less speakers to help control perceived volume. I still like my ears, and I have to be able to hear myself sing. Get something in your budget that sounds good to you and then learn how to EQ that amp to get your ERG to sound like you want it to. I don't spend a whole lot of time listening to other bands who use 8 strings. They don't use them the way I do. Getting those sounds isn't what I'm after. I'm after getting MY sounds.

Bearitone

Reaction score

Just boost the living shit out of basically any high gain amp. Boom, ERG friendly.

Also, i don’t know what you use now but, you owe it to yourself and your wallet to try a 6505 before trying anything else imo

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I think a few companies tried this during the nu-metal/seven string era of popularity (at least I know Hughes & Kettner did), but the problem you run into is that "properly" adjusting for the low end doesn't really work in a band/mix situation where you have kick/bass/toms that actually NEED that sonic space to breathe and sound right, and once the guitar starts filling up the sub-100Hz area the guitar starts to get muddy, and everything else that operates in that range gets masked/starts masking the guitar. ISP and Schecter have both produced "guitar" cabinets with powered subwoofers built-in, but IME unless you're in a doom band where clarity is secondary to making people move back from the stage, or you're playing in a standard/drop-D tuning where you can add a little flub without getting too much in the way of the other low-frequency stuff, adding a subwoofer to a guitar rig is just asking to be either buried in a mix or bury something else. That's part of the reason the "standard ERG tone" includes a boost that is basically functioning as a light compressor and a high-pass filter.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

So basically an amp with no bass. I’d buy that.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Give me pointy baritone 6’s, please. A baritone Rhoads, Kelly, Xiphos, warrior, etc... Especially Indo and Korean tier manufacturing. Really any alternative shaped baritones would fly pretty good in that price range.

DanMapleSH

Reaction score
SG or Viper Shaped Baritone 6, 7, 8, with a scale length of at least 28", preferably 29" and at least a volume and tone control (preferably individual volume and tone) , Ash body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, neck through,

More 6, 7, 8strings with individual volume and tone controls

More 7 strings with a 28" scale length
more 8 strings with a 30" scale length

Gmork

Reaction score
Id love a classic style 8 string flying V! And would love to see bc rich bring back the ironbird, beast & warlock in 8 strings. But all with hard tail bridges

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Id love a classic style 8 string flying V! And would love to see bc rich bring back the ironbird, beast & warlock in 8 strings. But all with hard tail bridges

There was a maker who did one for Jens Kidman:

https://www.facebook.com/vapulaguitars/

But I'd love to see a Gibson-style body with a long scale 8 string neck.... OR, a 24.75 scale tuned B to A! :idea:

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I'd like to see the bigger brands (ibanez, schecter, ESP....) trying an headless design.
I know it's a niche market but something like an RGD headless multiscale would be cool af.

Bearitone

Reaction score
SG or Viper Shaped Baritone 6, 7, 8, with a scale length of at least 28", preferably 29" and at least a volume and tone control (preferably individual volume and tone) , Ash body, maple neck, ebony fingerboard, neck through,

More 6, 7, 8strings with individual volume and tone controls

More 7 strings with a 28" scale length
more 8 strings with a 30" scale length

Speaking my language over here

teamSKDM

Reaction score
8 string multiscale tremolos with scales reaching 28"+ on the lowest side.

Aside from custom builds , im talking to someone about fitting and modding a quality multiscale tremolo on a boden classic 8 since the pickups are straight already.