What gauge for A/Ab standard on 35" bass

• Thread starter Koneko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Koneko

Reaction score
Everything is in the title.

My 35" ESP Ltd bass is currently tuned to A standard (A-D-G-C-F) with a 45-105 + 145TS set of D'addario strings.

It kinda works for now but the low string lacks some clarity and I would like to improve it.

With my actual dealer, I'm stuck with D'addario (max .145 in Extra Long Scale) or LaBella (max .150). So I've been looking at those Kalium strings. I find they are pretty expensive compare to what I pay for the D'addario (+ shipping to France...) but I'm willing to pay more if that seems worthwhile.

I know they're designed to get you more tension with the same gauge than other strings but I don't really know what gauge I need for this kind of low tuning on my 35" bass in A tuning. I may be interested to go for Ab standard (occasionally or permanently) too but this may be too much for a 35"...

Do they last as long as D'addario Nickel Round Wound ? (I may change my strings once in a year)

I may add that I'm a guitar player. I play bass occasionally for recording or fun. So I'm not very familiar with the right amount of tension I need for a bass string (at least for the low one). So any help would be appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
As an alternative schneidermusik.de of Germany sell Pyramid steels in .145, .150 and .160. D'Addario do a nickel .160 but make sure it's taperwound (your .145 is tapered? it should be).
Kalium recommend exceeding 30 pounds tension, Ab on 35" therefore needs at least .142 (going by their previous tension chart).
35" can easily cope with Ab don't worry.

Koneko

Reaction score
Thanks.

Yes, D'addario does .160 but not in Super Long Scale, only in Long Scale (which isn't long enough for my bass, bummer). And yes, my .145 is tapered.

I will give a look at those Pyramid strings. It might be a good alternative.

.142 doesn't seem that much... Will it sounds better than my actual .145 ?

EDIT : Where can I find the length of those Pyramid strings ? Cause if it's like the D'addario Long Scale, I'm just wasting my time...
I need min 37" (94 cm) of string length between the ball end and the top of the string that goes into the tuner. 38" would be great.

ixlramp

Reaction score
From Kalium's previous tension chart their hybrid .142 has 1 pound more tension at A than the D'Addario nickel .145. However reading reviews it seems the Kalium's extra flexibility may make it floppier and feel looser, so the next gauge up .150 may be a closer match in feel to your .145.
Kalium's get very good reviews from ERBassists, and are made to be flexible and clear at large gauges. They sell super longs but contact them for exact string dimensions, they do have a technical diagram ready but it seems to not yet be up on the website.
The 'correct' tension is a personal thing, you could try tuning your .145 up and down a little to find what feels and sounds best for you, more tension may bring more clarity but that also requires a larger stiffer string for A/Ab, which would reduce clarity.
The Pyramid strings website has a pdf catalogue to download, might have length data.

Koneko

Reaction score
I found the Pyramid catalog yesterday and their Super Long Scale is 36". But I don't know if they are supposed to fit 36" bass or if the strings have 36" of winding length... which is really not enough.

I will probably try and contact Kalium strings and see which length fit my bass and what gauge they can recommend to me as well.

Koneko

Reaction score
Good chance you'll have to file the nut if you're going up to .160

Very good chance indeed. I already filed it a little to fit the .145. Definitely not problem.

Right now, I guess I will stick with the .145 and just buy new strings and see how much better it sounds than the current ones (no doubt it will sound better).
Maybe I'll try LaBella .150 that my dealer have in stock.

Kalium strings are just so expensive for me right now... well not so expensive, but I must think about it.

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I play the same tuning on my 34" bass using a Kallium 45-150 balanced tension set. Yes, they are stupidly expensive for Europeans because of the tax upcharge, but the strings themselves are really worth it. Also, if you compare how long the string life is compared to other brands, worth every cent.

Koneko

Reaction score
Also, if you compare how long the string life is compared to other brands, worth every cent.

That's actually a good argument. I find the D'addario Nickel strings to sound dull pretty fast. So I was afraid that steel strings would be worst.

I might try a 166 set if I convince myself to spend so much money into a set of strings. But I get the fact that it probably worth every cent. Hopefully it will last longer.