What guitar picks do you use ?

• Thread starter AC.Lin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Just got 3mm Dunlop Flow Jumbos in today. Pretty much the same exact size as the Tortex TIII / T3 picks. Just a mm or two shorter from back to pointed tip.
So far they feel really great but I'll report back after I've had some time with them.

Meanwhile, I bought some 1.9mm Clayton Acetal standard shaped picked. So far those seem reeeeally good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Avedas

Reaction score
I got a small pack of the Petrucci Flow picks. I guess they're ok. Thicker and bigger than what I'm used to. I've been using the previous black JP signature Jazz III for a couple years now and I'm a huge fan of them. I'm not quite convinced the Flow is an upgrade but I'll have to give it a bit more time.

AC.Lin

Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop
Reaction score
I'm getting my own thread back to life to say that i've ordered the new Dunlop Flow in the end, in 1.5mm.
I'm really pleased with them actually. This came out as a very good surprise.

At first i was like "meh, the fuck is that size and shape ?" because i was way too used to the very small size of the Jazz III. But after 30mins i found myself being able to pick a little bit faster, with less friction and noise. So it was smoother. Helpful to do sweep picking.
Also, the grip is perfect due to the raised writtings.

Basically the pick sounds exactly like the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III pitch black i use (also 1.5mm) but it's way more confortable due to it's bigger size and way smoother thanks to the rounded edges.

Check the pic below. This way you can clearly admire the edges.
(Bonus: the sexy palm of my hand for any hand fetishist who might hang around here)
IMG_20180829_195017.jpg

Quick Comparison between:
- Dunlop Jazz Flow 1.5 (right)
- Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2.0 (top)
- Dunlop Tortex Jazz III Pitch Black 1.5mm (left)
IMG_20180902_123758.jpg

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
blue chip jazz 60 is still my go to pick. It's very durable (I've been using the same pick for over a year straight with minimal wear), and has a warmer smooth sound, so there's basically no pick noise (unless I change my picking angle to get it on purpose). It's quite expensive for one pick, but considering how many primetones/nylon jazz IIIs I'd go through in the same timeframe, it's very much worth the money to me.
Lately any other pick I've tried besides some of my winspears/BHL picks that are made of UHMPWE are trashed in a day or two. The John Petrucci Primetone jazz iiis are really nice, but not durable enough for me ( I end up wearing off the tip and putting a bevel on basically all my picks just through playing). The JP Flow pick is really nice as well, it has good durability and minimal pick noise, but I just prefer jazz iii shapes.

picks are guitarmory jazz iii, jp flow, blue chip jazz 60, jp primetone jazz iii, d'addario acyrlux jazz iii
43851602214_9d089b78ec_c.jpg

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Dragonsheart picks. It has 3 sides for different uses of your preference. I can't play any other pick eversince.

• PLAYS FASTER
  • LASTS LONGER
  • 100% MADE IN THE U.S.A.
  • SOLID GRIP
  • IMPROVES PLAYING CONSISTENCY
71J4efbBcKL._SL1360_.jpg

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
41Bhs6JBSLL._SX425_.jpg

Good old tortex but the XL Jazz 3 version. I bought a fuck load and once they start to wear down I just throw them out. I also use the JP signature picks but I find those a bit too thick for me and they lack a little bit of attack compared to the tortex. Great for solo stuff though

JustinRhoads1980

Jackson Elitist
Reaction score
I use the Dunlop Tortex III's in 1.35mm. Although recently I have been using the John Petrucci dunlops in 1.5 mm with the shiny beveled tip. Very nice, I wish it was a bit longer and a little wider, otherwise it works great. If anyone though knows of something that is a bit longer (very little bit longer) and very little bit wider and is like the JP picks please let me know!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I've been using standard Tortex green and yellow picks as of late. For whatever reason, I prefer the thicker pick for the lower gauge strings (9-46) in E standard, and thinner pick for thicker strings (10-52) in Eb standard.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
I’m a jazz iii purple tortex player. I did just order a 3 pack of custom hardwood jazz iii picks from Forever Pick. They should arrive in a couple days. They look pretty sweet, and I’m only out $18 if I don’t like them.
4B4EF5A9-68C1-4469-A71E-F9FA368CCC89.jpeg

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
For the past month or so I've been using D'addario Nylpro Plus (the green ones). These last me about 2 weeks each, and I play every day.

Before I was using Jazz III Tortex (1.0mm) and D'addario Black Ice (1.10mm) and those lasted me about 2-3 days each before they wear out too much. The Nylpro's have a carbon component that makes them last much longer. They grip great and sound great.

lewis

Reaction score
Jazz III sized swiss picks with the "cheese holes" for extra grip.
These glow in the dark too helping with dark stages haha.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I ordered a Blue Chip TAD60-1R today. I'll post back with my thoughts on it later. Better be worth the $40.
dude I've bought basically every jazz iii pick I can get my hands on, and barring a custom jazz I made out of uhmpwe, or my thick wegen gypsy pick, it's one of the most durable picks I've ever used. If you like having a more mellow sounding pick with minimal pick noise, then it's one of the best pick materials out there imo.

Keel

Reaction score
Big stubby 3mms are my go to. But a friend of mine recently made me a wooden pick out of the heartwood of a cedar tree and its great for killing any and all brightness in your tone. Great for clean playing imo

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
dude I've bought basically every jazz iii pick I can get my hands on, and barring a custom jazz I made out of uhmpwe, or my thick wegen gypsy pick, it's one of the most durable picks I've ever used. If you like having a more mellow sounding pick with minimal pick noise, then it's one of the best pick materials out there imo.

Wegens are my favorite right now because of the material and bevels. I'd probably dig the Dunlop Sculpted Plectra if they had left-handed bevels but they don't and I've emailed and been told they won't.

Lukhas

Reaction score
I've toyed with so many picks over the years. I have (almost) all Ultex Jazz III variants, then I decided I wanted wider shoulders like the Ibanez small teardrop shape picks. So now I'm currently dancing with the Flow 2.0 and the Flow Jumbo 2.5, even if I do possess JD JazzTones 208! Then, like Andy James, I'll probably switch picks again...

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Swiss Picks (I like the polycarbonate ones)
Winspear : Ultem Broadsword 2mm-1mm taper but his new line of resin Shiv's in 4mm-1mm taper are my new FAV though!