What is the 2nd best neck pickup to the AN7?

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Air Norton 7, but I want something different now. I'm thinking of going with another Evo 7 in the neck because I've heard great things about that config. Any ideas? What do you guys recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Blaze neck has a super sweet lead sound if you back off the gain a bit from normal rawk bridge p/u levels. i'd recommend it to anyone.

It's got the "For The Love Of God" tone...

...oh yes.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the thing with the Blaze neck - it's almost TOO "Love of God." :lol:

FWIW, I like the '59 enough that I'm seriously curious about the Jazz. If the JB wasn't supposed to just not be ideal for basswood I'd say grab 'em as a set. As it is, maybe a Jazz/Custom, since the custom is supposed to get on better with basswood?

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I love the AN7, and I think it's equal to the Jazz.

But the 7-string versions? Jazz wins. Unless! You swap the mags, and put an A5 in the AN. Then it sounds on the same playing field again.

Those are 2 of my favorite pickups ever.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well they all do different things. If you want super articulation the Jazz is the way to go. If you want a super smooth and fat neck sound, I think the Blaze neck is splendid. I like them both equally just for different tasks.

Gibson neck pickups are far and away my favorites, I wish there was a 7 string version of the 496R or the '57 Classic. But I like the Jazz, 59, Air Norton and the Blaze Neck. The Evolution neck model? Never tried but it could be interesting.

Collarbone

Reaction score
Well they all do different things. If you want super articulation the Jazz is the way to go. If you want a super smooth and fat neck sound, I think the Blaze neck is splendid. I like them both equally just for different tasks.

It often makes me wonder when people here praise the Jazz neck pickup for the ultimate clarity and tight bass. To my understanding, a neck pickup is _not_ supposed to be crystal clear and tight. I have never played one myself so I don't really know, but listening to the sound clips on Duncan's website I find the Jazz neck to sound pretty much like a bridge pickup.

The question is: Why would you want a neck pickup to sound like that? After all, for the tight rhythm work, shredding and punchy cleans you have the bridge pickup. Of course the need for particular sounds depends on the player, but I believe that smooth, creamy, singing lead tones along with some mellow and dark jazzy clean sounds are only achieved by a neck pickup that isn't too bright and articulate, and perhaps even with its tone knob rolled slightly down. If needed, mix that with a (split) bridge pickup with its volume about halfway and you get some punch.

Because of this, I ordered the Duncan '59 to my upcoming custom 7-string... If I don't like it, I'll try something else.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
You're obviously not a single coil man, eh?

That's my take on it. I think the Jazz blends the best properties of a neck humbucker with a neck single coil. Round, fat, with higher output, but tons of punch and clarity at the same time.

Collarbone

Reaction score
You're obviously not a single coil man, eh?

I love single coils in Strats and Teles, but the truth is you will never get that tone from a neck humbucker. I have a feeling that the Jazz is kind of like a poor compromise between a humbucker and a single coil, without really sounding like either one. If a humbucker in the neck position supposedly is a little dark and muddy, why fight back? Look at the history of popular music and try to count the number of gorgeous lead tones made with a Les Paul neck humbucker. And on the other hand, if you want the Fender "twang", get yourself a Fender.

If you want to use the twin-hum guitar to play the occasional twangy things live, split the bridge pickup and nobody will tell the difference - And in the studio you'll end up using a bunch of different guitars anyway.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Janne, you really owe it to yourself to try one. We're obviously unable to properly articulate what it sounds like, but suffice to say so many people cannot be wrong. It delivers all the neck pickup goodness, but with clarity. It is truly the best pickup Duncan makes.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Collarbone, the thing is, you can get all the "normal" properties of a neck humbucker without sacrificing articulation.

Collarbone

Reaction score
Janne, you really owe it to yourself to try one. We're obviously unable to properly articulate what it sounds like, but suffice to say so many people cannot be wrong. It delivers all the neck pickup goodness, but with clarity. It is truly the best pickup Duncan makes.

Thank you for the recommendation. I originally chose the Jazz but then changed my mind after hearing these sound clips on Duncan's web site:

Duncan Jazz, neck, clean
http://files.seymourduncan.com/SDToneWizard/Hummer/Track20.mp3
'59 model, neck, clean
http://files.seymourduncan.com/SDToneWizard/Hummer/Track15.mp3

Yes, the Jazz is more bright and articulate, but I think it sounds too much like a bridge pickup. And if a guitar already has one ultra-clear and clean pickup in the bridge (the M7), why would you want another one? On the other hand, the clips are from 6-string versions, so they do not tell the complete truth. If you have clips played with the Jazz-7, please let me know. I'm especially interested since we both seem to have Mesa stacks.

I believe that when you switch the pickup selector from bridge to neck, you are supposed to notice a big increase in warmth and smoothness, with the cost of some clarity and brightness. That being said, I promise to try the Jazz if I'm not content with the '59. Just to see (and hear) what the big fuss is about. :)

Collarbone, the thing is, you can get all the "normal" properties of a neck humbucker without sacrificing articulation.

Sure, why not. The lack of warmth and the Les Paul style "creaminess" is all I'm worried about. But after all, I have not tried these pickups myself.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
1.) That sounds nothing like a bridge pickup - it's got great sparkle to it, true, but a very pronounced warmth to it as well.

2.) Shit, dude. I gotta listen to those on a proper pair of speakers. I love the '59 in the neck of my Blackjack, but to my ears the Jazz DOES smoke it. :drool: It's clearer in the low-mids and just sounds more.... Fuck, Idunno. More awesome, say.