What is your favorite plugin for midi bass?

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was watching some interviews with spiritbox talking about just using midi bass to demo/track alot of their stuff and curious what people think is best? 100$ plugin vs a 4000$ ding seems like a great deal.

Main 2 I was checking out are djinn bass and loki bass 2

I would assume getting the dry signal from one of those then running it through parallax.

Stuff I'm writing is drop f# djenty with quite a few melodic parts.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Ezbass is great because the piano editor is so easy to use. It’s biggest downfall is only one note is sampled. So an open A string is the exact same sample for the 5th fret E and 10th fret B. Where you play something on a bass makes a huge difference but to be honest it’s high enough quality that you can overlook it.

Ample bass metal Ray5 doesn’t sound as good as EZbass but it has the most user friendly editor. So many companies could learn from it.

I’ve never tried djinnbass or anything similar because they don’t come with an editor. I know people love editing midi but having to constantly punch in notes so a string is forced and carefully line up slides and other techniques sucks the life out of making music for me. Much easier when you can see everything cleanly and clearly.

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ezbass is great because the piano editor is so easy to use. It’s biggest downfall is only one note is sampled. So an open A string is the exact same sample for the 5th fret E and 10th fret B. Where you play something on a bass makes a huge difference but to be honest it’s high enough quality that you can overlook it.

Ample bass metal Ray5 doesn’t sound as good as EZbass but it has the most user friendly editor. So many companies could learn from it.

I’ve never tried djinnbass or anything similar because they don’t come with an editor. I know people love editing midi but having to constantly punch in notes so a string is forced and carefully line up slides and other techniques sucks the life out of making music for me. Much easier when you can see everything cleanly and clearly.
My plan so far is to just import the midi from guitar pro, so I imagine the only thing I would have to change is things like slides or slaps and such. not even sure if either of ones I mentioned have that kind of thing though.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
You can open a guitar pro file within any of Ample Sound Plugins and then trigger it with a midi note at the start of your song.

Reaction score
Was watching some interviews with spiritbox talking about just using midi bass to demo/track alot of their stuff and curious what people think is best? 100$ plugin vs a 4000$ ding seems like a great deal.

Main 2 I was checking out are djinn bass and loki bass 2

I would assume getting the dry signal from one of those then running it through parallax.

Stuff I'm writing is drop f# djenty with quite a few melodic parts.
There's literally NO reason for a 4k Dingwall. A Squier PJ style bass will do the job and those are under 200 bucks and will sound better than midi bass. I often use midi bass but I also bought a real bass and there's no comparison, however sometimes for what I do I prefer the "fake" bass.

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's literally NO reason for a 4k Dingwall. A Squier PJ style bass will do the job and those are under 200 bucks and will sound better than midi bass. I often use midi bass but I also bought a real bass and there's no comparison, however sometimes for what I do I prefer the "fake" bass.
Ya I have a squier J bass set up to drop f# actually. had to widen the bridge hole for the low f and file nut and everything. it just leaves alot to be desired. Perhaps the setup that was done on it was a bit lackluster but ya alot of notes don't sound great on the low string. so ya was thinking midi bass for more clarity. So when you do use "fake" bass, Which plugin do you use for the bass samples?

Reaction score
I use the bass synth that comes with FL Studio.

That being said I don't go any lower than C# and I'm pretty sure super low shit would sound terrible